Ebay Sales?

Wolfbane

I buy way more than I sell. The last few times I sold something, Ebay held my money for 2-3 weeks, even after the buyer received the item. They said it was because I don't sell a lot on there, but I've been a member since 2003, and have a perfect rating.

Been selling professionally on ebay for 15 years so I've seen quite a bit of crap. Trailers, not speakers. Biggest thing you have to watch out for is out of state checks upon pickup, I've had people attempt to burn me twice now. PayPal is the biggest issue, biggest thing I know of is that PayPal allows Discover cards which forces you go to through the court system on chargebacks. Basically somebody can pick something up, pay in full via PayPal, get home, tell PayPal they never received jack crap, PayPal deducts your funds, and your only chance of redemption is to go to court and get a judgment, which may mean you get to travel to the other side of the country to do so unless you are careful. That's why I only take minimal deposits.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301932518671?forcerRptr=true&item=301932518671&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME:L:LCA:MOTORS:1123

stores.ebay.com/metropolislakeoutfitters

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

I do half-heartedly. The reasons I try to stay away from doing business with them is due to their fees, and their outrageous bias against sellers.

+1 for this. I've heard sellers getting nailed with losses over "empty" boxes being received and of course when they changed the feedback rules you had/have buyers holding you hostage over partial refunds with the threat of negative feedback and stars on shipping, communication, etc which impacts fees for sellers. Haven't sold a thing there for many years for those reasons.

I do both, and I take pictures of products received as well as shipped. I even mark them for my protection. I've had 2 people try to scam me when I was a seller, and when I showed some of the pics they backed off. Same on the buying side. I take pictures of the serial numbers as well for my protection. Ebay does suck when selling, but I usually get better prices on my sales through them.

In regards to the Discover comment earlier, I knew a guy who made commercial signs in Missouri I believe. A guy from Nevada ordered a $5,200 sign from him, personally drove out to pick it up. The sign maker documented everything, copy of the guy's drivers license, even took pictures of the guy loading the sign up into his truck. Regardless, when the buyer got home, he submitted a case to PayPal saying that he never received the sign. PayPal reversed the entire $5,200 charge. The card that was used was a Discover card though, which apparently makes you go through the court system for chargebacks, basically you have to have a trial and get a judgment before they will give the funds back to the seller. The guy ended up deciding that it wasn't worth pursuing and just ate the whole amount, he was out about $2,200 in material plus a whole bunch of labor. The scary thing is that all his documentation did not do any good at all. I realize everybody thinks they are careful but when the powers to be just don't care, then you're screwed anyway.

I sold on Ebay for 15+ years and probably over 5000+ items. I think my rating is in the mid 3000's. Starting 3-4 years ago they really put pressure on their sellers especially regarding accepting returns and offering same day shipping. Plus, you are at the mercy of the buyer. I can't tell you how many times someone said something didn't work, they returned it and it worked just fine. Now I'm out the shipping cost because they made you refund the cost of the item and shipping. When you are shipping speakers and subs, this can be $50-$100+ a pop. It seemed like I would have one of these a month. Plus, how can I offer same day shipping if I have to package up a 95lb sub. I'm sorry you will have to wait until the weekend before I have time to get it packaged up properly. I buy and sell a lot and I don't have the same velocity of sales that I used to, but I don't have any returns/charge-backs/damaged items anymore. I sell on a selected few forums and try to maintain open dialogue. The stress is gone and I don't want to strangle any dishonest buyers any longer.

Edited by japosey

My biggest issue with eBay is that people don't know how to read.  For example, something as simple as the location.  

When you open up my ad, the location is listed in the same place as every other ad.  I have a map as one of my images.  In the description there is a paragraph that explains where I am.  There is another one that explains that I cannot ship, and where to go and what to look out for if you want to book a third party shiping company.  The eBay parameters also states local pickup only and no shipping.  

So what's the result of this?  All day long I get emails, texts, and phone calls, asking where I'm from, can I ship, how much is shipping, etc.  Some just buy it anyway having no idea where I am, and seemingly thinking I can put a 2,000 pound trailer on the back of a UPS truck and have it dropped off in their driveway, for a minimal delivery charge.  

It was especially bad before I started requiring a deposit when you clicked "buy it now", especially among immigrants.  On a weekly basis I'd have an item that sold just to find out that a Mexican who can't speak English on the other side of the nation like in California or Miami bid on it.  I'd literally have to get a translator to call them and explain that we cannot ship, AFTER they committed to buy.  I'd then have to spend $20 to relist my ad, I'd get robbed of the best search exposure which is the last 2-3 days in a listing, and I'd have to start the refund process with eBay to get my $60 in final value fees back.  Got real old.  People are less click happy when they have to actually put some money down immediately.