Good Riddance

thebes

It is a rare day when I really want to drink a Coke, but the HFCS version tastes terrible, and Coke made from sugar is really good. The easiest way to get it is to look in the Hispanic (sic) food section at Wally World, where they sell the drink from Mexico, which, last time I checked was made with sugar. I'm pretty sure what they have in all the local carnicerias would be fine, too.

The carnicerias are also the only place around here to get good mangoes (manila strain, not the round red ones).

Bruce

Yes sugar is bad for you.  Look what happened to the Hawaiians when sugar as a crop was introduced.  Sugar is empty calories as much as alcohol.  Sugar has destroyed as many cultures as alcohol, and/or disease.  Sugar is disgusting and unnecessary when you can get all you need from fruit and unrefined sources.

All things, other than those that should be avoided entirely (eg. US Coca-Cola, HFCS), in moderation. Including moderation.

The big difference between sugar and fructose is that sugar can be processed by any cell in the human body. Fructose has to be processed by the liver. HFCS is 55% fructose.

The use of this crap in place of sugar is epidemic in the US and is in everything including Heinz Ketchup which I also avoid like death.

Pepsi in Canada uses HFCS, Coke does not. I haven't drank a Pepsi in Canada since they switched to using HFCS.

• Like 2

Both French's and Hunts Ketchup tastes much better.
Wife and I don't use ketchup often, but we switched to Hunts the first we saw they didn't use HFCS, and it's a lot better.

To me, what is even worse is aspartame... NOT GOOD!

To me, what is even worse is aspartame... NOT GOOD!

Never understood how people got used to that stuff.  Sticks in my mouth for an hour or more after just one sip. 

I use Splenda, often to "sweeten up" iced tea I've put a bit of sugar in.  Gives me a good sweet without so much cane sugar and no taste hangover.

Dave

Iced tea is a perfect example of what needs no sugar at all. In this part of the world (paradise on the prairie) it automatically is served unsweetened, like God and nature intended.

Don't tell that to a southerner or Asian.  I can drink it straight, but much prefer a lot of lemon and sweetness. 

Dave

My primary objection to this guy was for hijacking peace, love and harmony, in pursuit of sales.  And then he reaps kudos for getting a bunch of embassy kids of various colors to sing together on a mountain top.  Coke couldn't be bothered to promote anything like it's actuality until 1984 when they finally gotta round to establishing a charitable foundation.  Let's face it , pure thoughts like harmony and peace are like virgins.  At some point somebody takes it from you.

Me I drink a small can of coke every single day, yes every single day.  Have been for decades.  I'd prefer the sugar but the Mexican coke does not come in the small sizes.

Sheesh.  The guys vocation was to sell things.  It's OUR job not to buy them.  Compared to Joe Camel "I'd like to buy the world a coke, and teach it harmony..." is a call to peace and love.  Actually, I have massive respect for a guy who can produce the "non-ad."  That is, something you really like and enjoy whether you accept the product or not.  Think "So always look for the union label, it says we're able to make it in the U.S.A.!"  That one was agency work as well. Didn't work like the coke thing, but I'll be it helped for a while.

Plenty of campaigns I DO have ethical issues with, but not that one. 

Dave

• Like 1

It wasn't a non-ad.  It was an ad.  The proof is in the lyrics.  Otherwise they would have been "soda" or "pop" or whatever the wrong side of the war between the states calls it.  As for the union ad, it was spot on, and everyone complaining about shoddy goods today would be well advised to reflect on how much better made and fitting products such as Levi's jeans were back when they were union made in the USA.  Furthermore, they aren't cheap now are they?  Just the labor is cheap, and the garment workers were sent out to pasture.

• Like 1

My primary objection to this guy was for hijacking peace, love and harmony, in pursuit of sales.  And then he reaps kudos for getting a bunch of embassy kids of various colors to sing together on a mountain top.  Coke couldn't be bothered to promote anything like it's actuality until 1984 when they finally gotta round to establishing a charitable foundation.  Let's face it , pure thoughts like harmony and peace are like virgins.  At some point somebody takes it from you.

Me I drink a small can of coke every single day, yes every single day.  Have been for decades.  I'd prefer the sugar but the Mexican coke does not come in the small sizes.

I've got just two words for you: Bottle cap.