Olympics 2016

wvu80

Ah now it goes away.  Still can't edit the block above though.  

Anyway, remember the whole "Ryan Lochte got held up by fake cops"?  Well, the real cops have surveillance video of him and his swimming buddies coming back to the hotel, with their watches and wallets that were supposedly stolen, on that same night.  Athletes have to go through a metal detector, in which they did, and they had to lay all this stuff out on the table for the metal detector bypass.  Their stories don't line up either, when questioned separately they gave different details and whatnot.  A judge is so ticked that he ordered that their passports be confiscated, banned them from leaving the country, and wanted them brought in for questioning.  Only problem is that Lochte is apparently already back in the states.  

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/swimmer-ryan-lochte-passport-seized-8650224

9 hours ago, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

Ah now it goes away.  Still can't edit the block above though.  

Anyway, remember the whole "Ryan Lochte got held up by fake cops"?  Well, the real cops have surveillance video of him and his swimming buddies coming back to the hotel, with their watches and wallets that were supposedly stolen, on that same night.  Athletes have to go through a metal detector, in which they did, and they had to lay all this stuff out on the table for the metal detector bypass.  Their stories don't line up either, when questioned separately they gave different details and whatnot.  A judge is so ticked that he ordered that their passports be confiscated, banned them from leaving the country, and wanted them brought in for questioning.  Only problem is that Lochte is apparently already back in the states.  

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/swimmer-ryan-lochte-passport-seized-8650224

It's bizarre.  Something tells me our guys partied too hard and were up to no good.

• Like 2

• Moderators

NBC is in Brazil's back pocket.  They should be outraged, and covering the numerous police armed robberies that occur regularly there.  They have a police force of 85,000 for the Olympics, what does that tell you.

They are afraid to dig into the crime because they don't want to be detaing.  They are trying to make it to closing night without an incident. 

How much reporting did they do on the boxing judges and referees being sent home for irregularities and "not up to standards" on several fights.  No results will be overturned.

How on earth did they end up there?

The only thing I don't understand about the whole robbery story is that if nothing happened, why did they say anything?  It's not like they were caught doing something verboten and needed an alibi.  I just don't get it.

On a better note, how about the women's 100m hurdles?  First time we've ever swept all 3 medals in a running event!

• Like 3

The only reason I can imagine for making up a story like that, assuming it is made up, is perhaps they stayed out way too late at that party while doing questionable stuff that were against somebody's rules, maybe needed to come up with an excuse, and a wild story that they thought would get some giggles and dismissed actually turned into real drama and they had to double-down.  

39 minutes ago, JJKIZAK said:

The 200 and 400 runs really shows you who is in shape. I always ran out of gas at the 40 mark.

JJK

If you can run the 100, you can run the 200.  At least with me, runner's high kicked in right about at the 100 yard line and the rest of the way I just floated.  400 is an entirely different beast.  You're still mostly sprinting, but lactic acid buildup becomes a huge issue, you have to train your body to buffer it.  That third 100 is where it starts kicking in real hard, just drains you.  

Has anybody noticed "makeup girl" on the mid-distance races?  aka. Shannon Rowbury.  She keeps running races in heavy eye makeup and bright lipstick.  Apparently it's homage to her grandmother.  

http://www.runnersworld.com/briefs/the-story-behind-shannon-rowburys-eye-catching-lipstick

27 minutes ago, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

The only reason I can imagine for making up a story like that, assuming it is made up, is perhaps they stayed out way too late at that party while doing questionable stuff that were against somebody's rules, maybe needed to come up with an excuse, and a wild story that they thought would get some giggles and dismissed actually turned into real drama and they had to double-down.  

They were in before curfew, that's another reason I don't get it.  Lockte admitted he embellished on the gun to his head aspect and said it only pointed at him.  Why lie about that?  Swimmers with a fishy story, who'd a thunk it.

20 minutes ago, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

Has anybody noticed "makeup girl" on the mid-distance races?  aka. Shannon Rowbury.  She keeps running races in heavy eye makeup and bright lipstick.  Apparently it's homage to her grandmother.  

http://www.runnersworld.com/briefs/the-story-behind-shannon-rowburys-eye-catching-lipstick

Nice tribute.  Make up seems to be "in" at this Olympics but hers is probably the only one that wasn't merely for aesthetics.

56 minutes ago, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

If you can run the 100, you can run the 200.  At least with me, runner's high kicked in right about at the 100 yard line and the rest of the way I just floated.  400 is an entirely different beast.  You're still mostly sprinting, but lactic acid buildup becomes a huge issue, you have to train your body to buffer it.  That third 100 is where it starts kicking in real hard, just drains you.  

Yep!  I took up running a couple years ago.  I like to run fast intervals.  Lately, I took up sprinting.  I love what you get out of it, and you are 100% correct.  100 or 200... doesn't matter.  400... totally different beast.  You can puke doing the 400.  Not the 100 - 200.

1 minute ago, Jeff Matthews said:

You can puke doing the 400.  Not the 100 - 200.

Oh I can in the 200. :)  Back when I was competing I ate Quakers instant oatmeal for breakfast, which usually didn't upset my stomach at all.  One time I pushed myself too hard though and puked.  Unfortunately the flavor I had that morning was blueberry, which are not fresh, they are more like dehydrated and unchewable.  Well I actually puked so hard that it came out of my nose and a blueberry got stuck in there.  Blew my nose shortly afterwards and a blueberry shot out.  Funny how certain memories are so vivid. :)  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

Oh I can in the 200. :)  Back when I was competing I ate Quakers instant oatmeal for breakfast, which usually didn't upset my stomach at all.  One time I pushed myself too hard though and puked.  Unfortunately the flavor I had that morning was blueberry, which are not fresh, they are more like dehydrated and unchewable.  Well I actually puked so hard that it came out of my nose and a blueberry got stuck in there.  Blew my nose shortly afterwards and a blueberry shot out.  Funny how certain memories are so vivid. :)  

Ha ha!  Great story!

I can't get going fast enough in the 100 or 200 to puke.  The tops of my quads start to strain, and I just have to hold and keep proper form to prevent an injury.  Guess I am old...