Memorable concerts

DizRotus

The most memorable for me was The Rolling Stones at the Astrodome in 1981.  Tattoo You was their latest album.  The first band was the Fabulous Thunderbirds, followed by ZZ Top, and then the Stones.  There was no seating on the floor, so my friend and I fought our way to the front, maybe 30 feet from the stage.  The sound was great from in front of the stage. The crowd was packed so tightly, that at times my feet did not touch the floor.  It became very hot, and a lot of people were passing out (combination of the heat and drugs I am sure).  Mick Jagger sprayed us with a water hose, to cool us off, and it really helped.  I remember we paid $18 for a ticket, and that was twice what I paid to see Styx earlier that year and Journey a couple of years before that.

I saw Pink Floyd on their Division Bell tour in 1994, at Camp Randall in Madison, WI.  My wife and I had rolled into town about three hours before the concert. We heard on the radio that a few more seats had just been released for the sold out show that night. We were in Madison visit my in-laws, so of course I immediately drove to the box office and bought a ticket. Wisely, I also bought tickets for wife's teenage sister plus another in-law who wanted to go.  The seats were originally thought to be "obstructed view", but once the speaker scaffolding was actually set up, these turned out to be fantastic view!  Half way through the concert it began raining, I mean pouring.  Nobody cared.  Great concert.

• Like 2

Seadog, your Texas location reminds me of a story told by my younger brother (USNA '75) about a CPO's plans for retirement.  When asked if he planned to buy a boat he replied, '"Yes, a rowboat.  I'll strap it to my back and begin to walk inland.  When someone asks, "What's that on your back?", I'll drop the boat and call that place home."'

It's probably not original, but I thought you, BigStewMan, USNRET and other old salts might appreciate the sentiment.

@Seadog @BigStewMan @USNRET

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

Seadog, your Texas location reminds me of a story told by my younger brother (USNA '75) about a CPO's plans for retirement.  When asked if he planned to buy a boat he replied, '"Yes, a rowboat.  I'll strap it to my back and begin to walk inland.  When someone asks, "What's that on your back?", I'll drop the boat and call that place home."'

It's probably not original, but I thought you, BigStewMan, USNRET and other old salts might appreciate the sentiment.

Well since I was in the brown shoe navy (airdale) I heard it with a tail hook replacing the row boat but the theme remains the same.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

that would have been a nice one.

what I remember, it was a fabulous show.  play list probably couldn't have been better. light show etc was just unbelieveable.  wish I remembered more about it.  I do remember that I had a fantastic time.  and, as someone else has already said - it's a good thing I gave up some of the habits of my younger days.

• Like 1

First show was James Taylor at St. John's NYC, 1973. (8th grade) walked to and from the show, you could do that in those days. Memorable was Crosby, Stills Nash & Young Roosevelt Stadium Jersey City 1974, the night Nixon resigned. Powerful "Ohio" & "Carry On" jams. Benny Goodman at Carnegie Hall 1979, first time at the legendary venue, everything they say about the acoustics is true, wonderful place to see a show.

Too many shows to choose from, (500+), The Modern Jazz Quartet @ The Blue Note, Richard Thompson @ The Bottom Line, Robert Plant w/ Fairport Convention doing a set of Led Zep tunes in a tiny venue. Peter Gabriel walking on for the encore with Genesis, Jeff Beck w/ Jan Hammer,

this could take awhile..........

• Like 4

On 9/21/2016 at 6:18 AM, DizRotus said:

A long way to the coast from here, but we have a few decent lakes for fishing and playing.  In this climate, I leave my boat in the water year round.

• Like 2