Got my new First Watt J2! The Cornwalls are happy!

tlarwa

Went away from tubes for the first time in quite a while.  Decided to stay with a single-ended design, though, and the J2 came highly recommended as a solid state option.  Well I have to say that I am completely pleased with it!  I have it powering my Cornwalls, and it has plenty of headroom with both my phono and digital front ends.  I'm currently have it paired with a passive  "cathode follower" design tube buffer, and it sounds mighty fine.  But I'll be building a passive pre in the coming week, using Goldpoint dual mono attenuators, Cardas RCAs and silver wire.  I'm excited to see how transparent and uncolored the sound is with the J2 and taking the tubes out of the signal path.

Anyway, just wanted to share my happy experience with this combo so far.  The Cornwall's haven't sounded better, and I've now run them with a Red Wine Audio amp,  Rougue Audio tube integrated and a hand built 6av5 based amp.  I'd dare say the J2 is the best amp I've ever owned to this point.  

So so far so good!  Can't wait to build the passive...

Tom

IMG_0624.JPG

• Like 5

Tube front end with a solid state mono back end is wondrous. I am using a chinese pre with Telefunken 802's and a class d mono set and ue sound has been extremely splendid. All hints of harshness and beaming have miraculously disappeared.

2 hours ago, derrickdj1 said:

That is a big amp coming from tubes.:)  Operating in class A is about as good as it gets!

Big in size, but only 25 watts.   The Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum I just sold ... now that was a big amp.  100 watts per side with the KT120 tubes!  Sounded good but I couldn't get past the noise floor.  This baby is dead quiet...

• 6 years later...
On 10/1/2016 at 9:43 PM, tlarwa said:

Big in size, but only 25 watts.   The Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum I just sold ... now that was a big amp.  100 watts per side with the KT120 tubes!  Sounded good but I couldn't get past the noise floor.  This baby is dead quiet...

Just wondering if you're still using the J2 to drive your Cornwalls. Did you build that preamp to drive the J2? However, if you're using a DAC, especially one with balanced outputs, that would likely be fine for driving the J2 directly. Really interested in your further comments on driving the Cornwalls, or any other 8 ohm speaker with the J2.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/17/2023 at 11:53 AM, tlarwa said:

No, the J2 has been gone for a long while now, as are the Cornwalls.  

I see. But on a scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being best, how satisfied were you with the J2 driving the Cornwalls, and/or any other efficient and 8 ohm speaker?

I almost went the J2 way when I decided to change from my Michi X5 (which was overkill for CWs) but went with a 300b SE tube design.  It sounds amazing.  The best amps I found were Fezz and Unison...   If I go back to SS at any point, The FirstWatt line would be where I start...

Yes I did.  Fair price for sure but I paid no where near retail so I came out of it fine and it covered the new amp 100%.  I'll miss it.  I would still recommend a X5 or X3.  Really good stuff.  But I wanted to try a path I have never considered before so I went Forte, Heresy then CW.  At CW I knew I was good for a while so started down Tube Road.  Not sure if I'm done but I am really pleased with the sound of this amp.

I do a lot of business thru and with TMR.  And no shipping so that's an advantage (or a curse) depending on the day.

• Like 1

My Cornwall's can sound good on either SS or tube. Presently have them with a McIntosh MC225, but have also used a McIntosh MC2105 and 2120 and those sounded just fine also. My pre is McIntosh C11.

My La Scala's though are much more pleasing to my ear with all tubes.

• Like 1

Thought I owed a response here.  The J2 was very good with the Cornwalls.  It went by the wayside because I was obsessed with trying a SE tube amp.  I regret the sale, not because tubes were bad, but because I’d still like to have the J2.