more truck woes

Paducah Home Theater

Got all my major mechanical issues fixed in the spring but I have a pesky tire problem that won't go away.  47-48 mph and often the truck shakes violently.  Above 65 and especially 75 there is a constant vibration or wobble.  If I go around a slight curve my steering wheel will jack side to side.  On long trips it is pretty uncomfortable due to the non-stop shaking.  

It's got brand new ball joints, all other linkages are tight, new rear shocks, pretty new tires that I just got in May, actually 2 of them were slightly out of round so they were replaced and all the ones now are supposedly top notch, recently been road force balanced, recently aligned, fairly new rotors and pads, engine is running like a champ, I don't know what it could be.  The only thing that even remotely makes any sense is maybe a caliper is locking up especially since it feels like it is at a loss for power when it shakes, but when I hit the brakes it's not like the rotors feel warped, they feel perfect.  

Any other ideas?  

I had something similar.  I had replaced a rear shock/strut.  Over about 2 years, the problem slowly got worse.

Long story short, one of the tires had been cupped by the prior bad shock/strut being worn out. 

Decided to put new tires all the way around and problem was gone in an instant.  You could FEEL the little 'scallops' in the tire (inside as I recall) if you ran your hand around the tire.

1 hour ago, dtr20 said:

Ate you sure the wheels are still balanced properly? 

Since May I've had them balanced twice and road force balanced 3 times from 2 places, the last one very recently.  Nothing in terms of balancing is a long term fix.  

1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

Do you have a steering stabilizer?  If so, sounds like it's worn out. 

I can't recall what type of truck you had either.

04 F-150.  Not sure, thought steering stabilizers were only on solid front axles but apparently not.  

When it shakes at 47 mph it's like the entire truck is bouncing up and down.  The shimmy at the wheel is only when going 65-75 and around a slight turn.  

Automatic or standard transmission?  Is this 2wd or 4wd, and does it make any difference when you switch between them?  Have you checked to see if there is a trouble code?  The little light on the dash doesn't tell you all that is wrong.  Have you checked the harmonic balancer, which if defective can cause vibration at high RPM. 

If automatic I might suspect something loose in the tranny or torque converter that sets up a wobble which gets transmitted to the tires.

+++

What make, model year of truck? 

2 hours ago, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

The only thing that even remotely makes any sense is maybe a caliper is locking up especially since it feels like it is at a loss for power when it shakes, but when I hit the brakes it's not like the rotors feel warped, they feel perfect.  

Do you have rear disc brakes?  If so, the emergency brake could have a bunch of junk built up in it and it's grabbing.  Normally with rear discs there are 2 shoes inside the "drum" of the disc assembly.  That could explain your loss of power and perfect feeling rotors.  It can also pulsate as the "drum" can be out of round.

A wrapped rotor in the frontend would be a good guess, but you've stated that they are new... I might suggest a wheel bearing has run out issues and is out of spec.

One other thing that might also be likely is if you have aftermarket wheels is that perhaps those wheels are not hubsentric and therefore not centered on the hub. In relation, if you have rims that call for conical wheels lugs, and you are running wedged or ball faced lugs, you can experience similar driving sensations.

Also unidirectional tires mounted backwards can be an issue.

Where is the vibration coming from, the front end or the rear end?

3 minutes ago, Schu said:

One other thing that might be likely also is if you have aftermarket wheels is that perhaps those wheels are not hubsentric and therefore not centered on the hub.

Out of the box thinking, but quite right.  I once put some aftermarket wheels on a Honda Civic that were cheap with those multiple universal lug patterns and they never did work quite right.  I had vibration I could never get rid of.

4 minutes ago, Schu said:

I might suggest a wheel bearing has run out issues and is out of spec.

Normally he'd have noise that would accompany this and it would come and go while turning back and forth.  Missing centering rings on aftermarket tires would certainly make a vibration but wouldn't account for his loss of power.

1 minute ago, wvu80 said:

Out of the box thinking, but quite right.  I once put some aftermarket wheels on a Honda Civic that were cheap with those multiple universal lug patterns and they never did work quite right.  I had vibration I could never get rid of.

4 little plastic rings would have fixed you up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Schu said:

Where is the vibration coming from, the front end or the rear end?

I can't even tell, but just to put it in perspective, when I did it this morning I maintained the 48 mph speed as to experiment, and found that it was bobbing up and down so bad that if I relaxed my jaw, my teeth literally chattered.  It's pretty bad when it does it, but, it's not constant, which is aggravating.  At higher speeds it's just an annoying mild shake but when it kicks in at 48 you can't hardly stand to be in the truck.  Meanwhile, the tire company(s) say everything is peachy keen.