Poll: Your Favorite Genre

TasDom

Your Favorite Genre  

35 members have voted

1. 1. If you had to pick one genre only, what would it be? If I have missed something, let me know and I will add it.

• Blues
    • Classical
    • Classic Rock
    • Country
    • Heavy Metal / Metal Rock
    • Rap / Hip Hop
    • Reggae
    • Jazz
    • R & B / Soul
    • Alternative
    • Pop
    • Acoustic Singer / Songwriter
    • Experimental
    • Progressive Rock

10 hours ago, derrickdj1 said:

I did not see a listing for Trip Hop, a combination of old school rock, Hip Hop, pop, R&B, soul.  A bit of everything thrown together.  I like a like of current stuff so, pop is also one of my favorites.  I'm not into rock, old R&B, soul and most stuff before the mid 90's.

Looks like this would fall into the experimental category.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trip_hop

"It also contains elements of R&B, dub and house, as well as other electronic music. Trip hop can be highly experimental."

• Like 1

It was hard for me to choose and I probably pushed the button to fast for "Classic Rock," because that is what I most identified with. Nothing like those dudes growing up but now admit I don't listen to much 2-channel...Pretty much all Multichannel and Concerts. Talking Heads and Steely Dan get more play than most insofar as straight music is concerned, with various concerts of the oldies but goodies being on the regular play list...Honestly, 2 groups I didn't listen to much growing up were Depeche Mode and REM and with the advent of DVD-A I listen to them all of the time as well.

On 11/13/2016 at 0:03 PM, Tasdom said:

1. If you had to pick one genre only, what would it be?

Thought it might be fun and interesting to see the favorites of the forum.

This is from another thread that was posted a couple of months ago:

1001 Albums Genre Comparison.gif

The blue bars are relative counts by genre of ripped CDs as of June (about 1400 to date...not counting vinyl).   The bars are sorted by my music library's genres.  Genre subcategories (particularly of rock) are lumped together for a reason.  The red bars correspond to Rolling Stone magazine's corresponding genres of the "greatest music albums" over the years. (You know...the mag that purports to be the voice of "popular music" and writes false stories about college fraternities.)

I post this to show that man probably does not live by bread alone: there is no one-size-fits-all answer...at least in my experience. 

Chris

• Like 1

I went for jazz.  FYI the last item should be the ubiquitous "Other."  B)

+++

What I really like is the BEST music of nearly any genre.  I am not a big country fan, but there are some fantastic country tunes.  I love classical, but just the good classical, not the piles and piles of sleepy music from over the centuries.

I grew up with the Beatles, the Beach Boys and all the other great music of the 60's and 70's.  It was simplistic but then so was I, immature in my listening.  Not a big deal, almost everybody starts with "Twinkle twinkle little star."

There came a time when I grew bored of "I want to hold your hand" and I looked for words that were more meaningful and music that was more interesting than a straight 4/4 time.  I found jazz, I found classical and it furthered my interest in music.

That's where I am now, different and yet the same in wanting to find new, interesting and different music.  That's where you guys come in.   You are a great resource for introducing me to new music, new artists, new genres.

Thanks!