C'mon Tiger!

ZEUS121996

It was great to see Tiger play well today. I hope he can find a way to be competitive again, it would be good for the game. In fact I hope he get 3 more majors before he's done. I don't think that will happen, but I hope it does. That would leave Mr. Nicklaus with the record at 18. BTW, how many people know he also finished runner up in the majors 19 times? Unless my memory is failing which it could very well be

Mark

• Like 2

Tiger's ability to shoot for the moon was enabled by his ability to shoot impossible shots from the rough. Like Oddball says in Kelley's Heroes: "We modified the engine to go faster backwards then forwards to get out of trouble faster than we got into it". Now after the Tigers injuries this cannot happen anymore.

JJK

Just now, JJkizak said:

Tiger's ability to shoot for the moon was enabled by his ability to shoot impossible shots from the rough. Like Oddball says in Kelley's Heroes: "We modified the engine to go faster backwards then forwards to get out of trouble faster than we got into it". Now after the Tigers injuries this cannot happen anymore.

JJK

"Tiger's ability to shoot for the moon was enabled by his ability to shoot impossible shots from the rough"

That's a pretty uninformed answer, but it is yours so you are entitled to it.

Do you play and follow golf very much?

Mark

JJK

I guess you forgot that he could also hit a driver further and with more control than anyone in history… Or, that he could hit a Threewood further and with more control than anyone in history… Or that he was one of the best putters that ever lived… And, may still be.

27 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

I guess you forgot that he could also hit a driver further and with more control than anyone in history… Or, that he could hit a Threewood further and with more control than anyone in history… Or that he was one of the best putters that ever lived… And, may still be.

I believe that honor may really belong to the late golf great Moe Norman. Moe's nickname was not 'Pipeline Moe' without good reason.

31 minutes ago, Wolfbane said:

I believe that honor may really belong to the late golf great Moe Norman. Moe's nickname was not 'Pipeline Moe' without good reason.

Moe Norman is considered by many to be one of the best 3 ball strikers in history. Tiger would have him beat in distance, IMO for a number of reasons, one of the biggest would be technology. Comparing players from different eras is impossible, the game has completely changed, I would love to see how someone like Walter Hagen (11 major titles) would do in competition with today's tech. Mr. Norman's accuracy (not the DB Greg) was remarkable by all accounts. Of course his target was smaller than most players. His target playing (say the 18th hole) was not the hole or a place on the green, his target was the opening in the bottom half of the 8 on the flag.

Meanwhile Matsuyama just slam dunked the ball on 7 for an eagle. Tiger is at 10 under for the tourney, I don't see him folding, he just isn't keeping up. Regardless, he has made a very good showing.

2 minutes ago, ZEUS121996 said:

Meanwhile Matsuyama just slam dunked the ball on 7 for an eagle. Tiger is at 10 under for the tourney, I don't see him folding, he just isn't keeping up. Regardless, he has made a very good showing.

Interesting observations.  You are at least two notches above my pay grade in golf analysis.

What I have never understood is how Tiger got injured in the first place.  One would think that his stroke mechanics would be flawless, and his professional instructors would eliminate any flaws that would lead to injury.

Tiger made the game explode and every player today should be thanking him for the ridiculous amounts of money they make. When he won the Masters in 97 (I think) golf went crazy popular. The economic impact he had on the game in general was huge. Golf was already in a major growth spurt and he just pushed it over the top.

2 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

Interesting observations.  You are at least two notches above my pay grade in golf analysis.

What I have never understood is how Tiger got injured in the first place.  One would think that his stroke mechanics would be flawless, and his professional instructors would eliminate any flaws that would lead to injury.

Nobody has EVER had flawless mechanics. Well maybe "Iron Byron" is/was close to perfect LOL.

The amount of stress the golf swing puts on the body is unbelievable. Mr. Nicklaus, Mr. Watson and others have had left hip replacement. Bottom line is the human body is not built for the inward forces on the body.

This would be one of the reasons that Tiger would probably still beat most of the players of yesteryear. He brought physical conditioning to the forefront in golf. As late as the 70's and early 80's 60K would often be the 1st place prize money. The guys would love to play, both on and off the course. One of the players I dealt with told me he drank so much Tanqueray after winning, he lost the check. Not the presentation check, the one that goes in the bank. He had to have it cancelled and a new one issued.

With 1st place now worth upwards of 1M,players are doing anything and everything they can to be in peak condition. With the exception of a handful of players, most now spend ridiculous amounts of time on conditioning which helps but does not prevent injuries

Mark

35 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

Tiger's footwork was awful when he came onto the scene. IMO, Butch Harmon didn't work on his legs and feet enough, which is partially the reason his left leg has broken down. Back issues are fairly common for players, Tiger's would be amplified (LOL)  by the fact his driver was swinging in the 135 MPH range.A lot of the tour players swing speeds don't approach that, I could throw out numbers for you math wizes to caculate, but does anyone really care?

Mark