Looking for Line Attenuator suggestions...

Schu

as title states, I am looking for some suggestions for line attenuation... something quick, cheap and easy. I have seen the Harrison line attenuator but it forces you to choose from only -3db steps (-3/-6/-12)...

266-242_HR_0.jpg

is there another alternative that offers smaller on the fly adjustable intervals?

I am not opposed to using some analog stepped attenuator in a box set up as long as it's reasonable.

this would only be used on the LF portion of a bi-amp setup to get a rough test of compatibility.

are the harrison line attenuators any good?

A cursory search of PE shows the same thing you found, in the usual increments of 3,6,9 etc.

http://www.parts-express.com/Search.aspx?keyword=line attenuators&sitesearch=true

I would worry if I found an infinitely adjustable attenuator I would not be able to precisely match the L/R.

It will be interesting what others come up with.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

I would worry if I found an infinitely adjustable attenuator I would not be able to precisely match the L/R.

interesting... had not thought about that.

what if one attenuator was handling both LR at once?

I just need RCA in/out for LR... something very simple.

be willing to pay for someone with knowledge to build one for cheap or to lend me one if they have one not being used currently.

not really to worried about the unit killing the "life" of the signal as long as it doesn't color it... this is only LF/woofer control.

I guess I could buy two sets of the line units (-6/-9) and see what happens...

I used the formula here http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/DIY_passive_attenuation     

to build an attenuator for my NAD C725BEE amp. The NAD has pre out / main in RCA sockets so for K-Horns you can add an attenuator so the volume control is not always down at 7 ~ 8 o'clock.

Here is a discussion paper on attenuators - http://www.rothwellaudioproducts.co.uk/html/how_attenuators_work.html

Schu... pm me your email. If you are able to do some soldering, I have an application I got some years ago. It runs in Windows, doesn't install but just runs. You put in your input impedance and output impedance and the amount of attenuation you want (1 db increments). It gives you the schematic and resistor values to wire it up. It sows for balanced and unbalanced attenuators. example in the pic...

Bruce

H-pad.jpg

why not just a stereo log potentiometer in a small box with rca jacks? I mean, that is what a volume control is. 

I could use one also to control my sub amp.  the pots are in the rear and I don't want the kids to start mucking about in the HT receiver sub control.  A simple pot in a box is all that is needed.  There are some available if you google/ebay/amazon.  The "passive" preamps are just that.. although often overpriced.  

22 hours ago, efzauner said:

why not just a stereo log potentiometer in a small box with rca jacks? I mean, that is what a volume control is. 

I could use one also to control my sub amp.  the pots are in the rear and I don't want the kids to start mucking about in the HT receiver sub control.  A simple pot in a box is all that is needed.  There are some available if you google/ebay/amazon.  The "passive" preamps are just that.. although often overpriced.  

It depends on whether or not you want the impedance to stay the same. That can be a critical issue for some.