Any News Hounds?

Wolfbane

Lawyer man is right in that the Big Three evening news actually reports "news" of the day reasonably unbiased. I watch most all the others and get a kick how much they lean right or left. They have so much air time to fill news alone certainly won't fill it but opinions will. I get my chuckles with all of them and use some of the smarts I have left to glean real news from the manure that they spread. Their grass IS greener - well furtilized!

13 hours ago, Seadog said:

I watched many hours of C-Span during the Iran-Contra hearings.  Not so much since.

Yep, me too...Then I moved to a house and got satellite and got hooked on CourtTV and then the OJ Trial....Then 9/11 and all of the 24/7 coverage on the big 3 cable and then lightening took out our satellite on the eve of the 2006 mid-term elections and I took it as a sign from god and then only watched terrestrial tv until we got WIFI internet .

12 hours ago, richieb said:

Lawyer man is right in that the Big Three evening news actually reports "news" of the day reasonably unbiased....

+1

12 hours ago, Wolfbane said:

Tonight I watched PBS News Hour after the CBS Evening News which I only started watching again after Dan Rather retired. No Gwen Ifill on PBS any more but much better than the 24/7 crap on CNN.

I am a PBS fan although agree using Taxpayer dollars to fund it may not be the way to go but I don't have that much of a problem with it. I will also reiterate they fund Frontline and that seems to get them key access to Government officials which is like C-span on an investigative level. On an episode dealing with ISIS I didn't agree with some of the commentary but they actually showed several POVs including from the administration which allowed a person to make up their own mind of what was the most relevant. Some issues aren't so cut-n-dry but having them online to consider in a historical perspective IS valuable to educators and students of history alike.

9 hours ago, Zen Traveler said:

I will also reiterate they fund Frontline and that seems to get them key access to Government officials

A small percentage.  WGBH makes the show, PBS mostly distributes shows made by others.  The percentage of government funding would not be commensurate with what you think is enhanced access.  PBS, and their local affiliates, are predominantly funded by corporations, foundations, and individuals, the latter especially true of the affiliate stations.

24 minutes ago, oldtimer said:
On ‎12‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 11:01 AM, wvu80 said:

Left Wing Response:  You're a racist and an ageist

Source of the quote?

10 minutes ago, oldtimer said:
On ‎12‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 11:01 AM, wvu80 said:

Nobody is speaking up for the Silver Hair segment of our country.

Source of the quote?  is that why Paul Ryan wants to screw OGenX while making sure silver haired baby boomers get all of theirs and more?

Oh darn I left off that smilie face...

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 5:17 PM, tromprof said:

Every news source is biased, the trick is knowing enough to see it.

My favorite newspaper used to be the Christian Science Monitor. Their frame of reference was so off the beaten path I found their reporting pretty uncolored on most issues.

I trust the BBC more than any American network. Fox has reported BS before, but IMHO it's rare and they are not abusive to the point that NBC, CBS, CNN, NY Times, Washington Post or LA Times take it. But I definitely agree, they're all tainted, and all bias to some degree.