A Happy Holiday for ME!

Mallette

Bit late on this, but Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, warm Kwanzaa, enlightening winter solstice, or whatever works for you.  Had a wonderful Christmas at my brother's home on Beaver Lake on the Missouri border with Arkansas.   Of course, this software has re-ordered the images to suit itself.  Mostly self-explanatory, but perhaps some short descriptions may help.   Heading out on the boat, in the 30's and raining.   Passing the castle.  Another picture later taken from my brother's land towards the island castle.  This is their neighbor, now a widow after her husband, who had built this whole thing himself, fell from the roof last summer and died.  A couple of eagle shots...which was what we went into this misery for.  Well rewarded.  300mm lens at about a quarter mile in low light, so these won't get National Geographic attention, but still carry a bit of the majesty of this bird.  Shot off the stern headed home at dusk.  Spiral staircase down three floors at my brothers,  The stone retaining wall that surrounds the pool was hand fitted by a local stone mason.  Much more stunning in person!  Living room at the house and the piano is an 1892 Steinway.  My brother surveying his domain. Couple of shots of an old barn just across the road from his property.  Shot of the castle from my brother's land.  The house, and my brother and "Foots," one of his dogs named after his father in law, who had huge feet.  BTW, my brother has a pair of Forte's he bought new years ago.  He was asking about them, and I told him he no more needed new speakers than he needed to replace his 1892 Steinway. 

Dave

01-IMGP3687.JPG

02-IMGP3689.JPG

03-IMGP3699.JPG

04-IMGP3712.JPG

05-IMGP3734.JPG

06-IMGP3740.JPG

07-IMGP3742.JPG

08-IMGP3745.JPG

09-IMGP3747.JPG

10-IMGP3749.JPG

11-IMGP3760.JPG

12-IMGP3766.JPG

13-IMGP3767.JPG

14-IMGP3771.JPG

15-IMGP3772.JPG

16-IMGP3773.JPG

17-IMGP3775.JPG

• Like 4

SNIP:
"Another picture later taken from my brother's land towards the island castle.  This is their neighbor, now a widow after her husband, who had built this whole thing himself, fell from the roof last summer and died."

Must have ignored the 1st rule of castle building. Always have a peasant on hand for all roof work.

It's an incredibly beautiful area and quite remote.  15 miles off a minor highway.  I always enjoy my time there.  Used to worry about the ambulance call time as my brother and his wife are in their early 70s...though you'd never guess from looking at them and he just returned from a 4 day backpack trip with his youngest daughter at Yellowstone.  This trip he showed me something that you have to walk over to right across from his driveway.  Helicopter landing pad for Medivac.  Not so worried now.  He tells me that the castle is occupied solely by the builder's grieving and very beautiful widow.  Perhaps she is in search of comfort...  :P

My brother was VERY strict about spending and saving through his entire career.  The moment he retired he promptly spent 85k on the boat in the picture and purchased that land.  His girls are rising towards 200k each in their careers, so he says his goal is to have little or nothing in the bank when he dies...they get the house, period.  Heck, that would be adequate, IMHO. 

Not many others I've known that could say their older brother NEVER did anything to them they resent.  I can, and so state. 

Dave