Chuck Eye steak

T2K

I visited a place today I have never been before, a WalMarky grocery store, and while walking past the meat section my eye caught a package of chuck eye steaks. I believe this is the first time I have ever seen chuck eye steak in a store, not that I go to a grocery store often anyway. Since I buy meat elsewhere and neither looked for or noticed any other meats I figure this must be a higher calling for me to cook and eat these steaks.

Mentally combing back the cobwebs in the cranium caused by spending too much time here, I distantly remember that these morsels should be cooked low and rare. That's my plan so far, salt and pepper and toss them in a skillet of butter. About 5 or so minutes per side to sear each side crispy over med heat, then med/med low heat till medium rare. I not a fan of adding any sauce to a good steak but I'm open for suggestions. 

Does anyone have any suggestions? The steaks are pretty thick and well marbleized and look delish so I would hate to screw them up. And they set me back 5 whole dollars too.

BTW, normally I wouldn't eat anything from the mart but these things supposedly came from a ranch in SD. I'm keeping the receipt in my pocket for a few days after I eat them so that it can be found on my body, should anything go wrong. 

Keith

I'd say most people would assume from the "chuck" that it's something that needs boiling.  I get 90% of my meat at 50% or more markdown.  I've learned to hit the "reduced for quick sale" bin early in the AM.  It's amazing what I get.  Lamb chops, ribeyes, NY strips, tenderloin, port loin chops, you name it.  Freezer is at capacity!  Really need another one.  Used sirloin in my last pot of chili, fer cryin' out loud!

Dave

• Like 1

Been eating chuck eyes since by best friend was the meat market manager at our local grocer 30 years ago. Cook just like you would cook a rib eye. Here is what I do:

Salt and pepper steaks and allow to warm to room temperature. Get grill has hot as possible and cook steaks for about 3 minutes on each side turning only once. The outside of the steak is caramelized while the inside is still near rare. 

• Like 2

On 1/31/2017 at 2:50 PM, JL Sargent said:

Been eating chuck eyes since by best friend was the meat market manager at our local grocer 30 years ago. Cook just like you would cook a rib eye. Here is what I do:

Salt and pepper steaks and allow to warm to room temperature. Get grill has hot as possible and cook steaks for about 3 minutes on each side turning only once. The outside of the steak is caramelized while the inside is still near rare. 

Yes to above.

In my opinion, a well marbled "chuck eye" is actually tastier - Richer, and "Beefier" more than a good rib steak.

Most folks have nooo idea.

And VERY tender, VERY different from the more outer part of the chuck.

Before beef skyrocketed in price, we would buy carefully selected well marbled chuck roasts, and cut in two at the bone, 

The" eye" side, we would cook like tender steak, the "upper" part, like any other tough beef.

Typically spiced, wrapped tightly in foil w Worcestershire,  and baked till pullapart, like pulled pork,  on white bread w ketchup an Worcestershire.

Yes, ketchup. A freshly or at least recently opened bottle, it DOES make a difference.

The combo of flavors is awesome.

Extreme beef taste. Image result for separate chuck roast

In photo above, there are 3 VERY different meats in that roast.

The upper (at top of photo) above that line of fat separating the muscles,  30%, (include the fat line, cut a 1/2" or so below it as positioned in photo)  is amazing.

Arguably THE best part of the animal.

The center,  like 40%, is good, but VERY different, a transition between top and bottom parts.

The bottom most 30%, is the toughest part by far.

If you don't taste the huge difference between the two sides of the bone on a Porterhouse, none of this will make a difference to you.

Enjoy, Marc

We grab these anytime we see them which isn't all that often.  Half the price of rib eye, 90% as good.  For the cost they are my favorite steak.  I grilled some on Monday.  JL sargent, that is exactly how I grill mine.  Room temp is key imo.

The reason you son't see them often people buy them when they see them, and off the top of my head there are very few "chuck eye" cuts per cow.