Hi, new here, have a Heritage question

ScottR

Hi I've lurked here a bit and read up on the various Heritage models. I am looking to upgrade my system and had decided on a pair of Heresy 3 but recently was offered the opportunity to pick up a really nice pair of 1983 cherry Cornwalls with risers. I am also planning on upgrading my NAD integrated to something of the tube variety. What do you guys think. The rest of my system consists of an older Linn LP12 and an Oppo 83se. My room is about 14x18 and I have corners I can put the speakers in. I am really interested in going the single ended amp horn speaker route and am open to suggestions on the speakers and on amplifiers. 

Thanks

Scott

• Like 1

you can always deal with the now somewhat weak spots of a CW and make substantial improvement to them over time or as your budget permits. Please don't take these comments to infer that the CW cannot impress as is because it can but that as good as it is stock at this time it has much latent potential waiting for you to enjoy. No contest between the H3 and the CW which has much more bass extension a larger mid horn and way more output over a wider range. CW is the path you should follow. CW is allso more efficient than a H3. fyi the CW can have much improved tweeter driver upgrade as well as a n upgrade for the mid driver. you ccan also upgrade the networks of the CW. If you want to use low power amps like etc. the best choice is the CW by far. Go listen an see. moray james..

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, ScottR said:

Hi I've lurked here a bit and read up on the various Heritage models. I am looking to upgrade my system and had decided on a pair of Heresy 3 but recently was offered the opportunity to pick up a really nice pair of 1983 cherry Cornwalls with risers. I am also planning on upgrading my NAD integrated to something of the tube variety. What do you guys think. The rest of my system consists of an older Linn LP12 and an Oppo 83se. My room is about 14x18 and I have corners I can put the speakers in. I am really interested in going the single ended amp horn speaker route and am open to suggestions on the speakers and on amplifiers. 

Thanks

Scott

The Talkin' Tubes section of the forum has significant information available about using all kinds of tube amps with Klipsch speakers.  It's a great place to post all of your questions.  In my opinion, Klipsch speakers and single ended amps are the proverbial marriage made in heaven.  Where are you located?

Maynard

• Like 1

Are the speakers to be on the long wall or the short wall?

If you have good corners, wait for it, wait, wait........Go for Klipschorns if you have the budget for them.  Find a nice pair of used Khorns, and you'll never look back....Cherry Cornwall's would be nice, but if you are going the tubes route......Enjoy.

Let us know where you are located.

41 minutes ago, tube fanatic said:

The Talkin' Tubes section of the forum has significant information available about using all kinds of tube amps with Klipsch speakers.  It's a great place to post all of your questions.  In my opinion, Klipsch speakers and single ended amps are the proverbial marriage made in heaven.  Where are you located?

Maynard

I will check out that section. Thanks. I'm locate in New York. About 45 minutes south of Rochester. Seems like the only route to go with Klipsch is tubed.

Thanks for all the replies. The speakers would go in corners on the wall. I don't know about Khorns it. Those look quite impressive but it's not so much about budget as it is size, it was all I could do to talk the wife into the Cornwalls and she's still on the fence.

So it seems most people really prefer a pair of original Cornwalls to the new Heresy 3.

My guess is you will get the Cornwalls and listen to them on your current set up and be happy as can be....then later maybe crossover upgrade. You do not NEED tubes.....but you just may want tubes. Not my place to say ,,,I would give your Nad a chance before throwing it out the back door.

You did not mention what you have now for speakers????

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, ScottR said:

So it seems most people really prefer a pair of original Cornwalls to the new Heresy 3.

Yes, without a doubt so long as you have the space for them. As mentioned above they sound great stock but have lots of different options for upgrades down the road if you find the need and some are quite simple and easy to do that make big improvements.

50 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

Yes, without a doubt so long as you have the space for them. As mentioned above they sound great stock but have lots of different options for upgrades down the road if you find the need and some are quite simple and easy to do that make big improvements.

Would you please link to a direct comparison between the two to validate your "without a doubt" statement?

The last Cornwalls I heard were the new ones I owned in around 1981 or 1982, and the Heresy II's I owned were around 2000, 2001, so I cannot give you a direct comparison. But I will tell you that my Heresy III's, with the new woofer, titanium diapragms and the tractrix tweeter horn sound great to my ears. Better than I recall the other two sounding. More detail, higher highs with no fatigue, tight, tuneful bass. My Heresy's with wall/floor placement get down into the mid 40's in my 20 X 23 ft. room. All of this is just a prelude to me saying not to dismiss them or to assume a vintage Cornwall will sound "better". The Heresy III's  may fill the bill for you nicely.

• Like 1

• Moderators
3 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

Are the speakers to be on the long wall or the short wall?

If you have good corners, wait for it, wait, wait........Go for Klipschorns if you have the budget for them.  

I agree if the room and corners work out for a good fit.

3 hours ago, ScottR said:

Thanks for all the replies. The speakers would go in corners on the wall. I don't know about Khorns it. Those look quite impressive but it's not so much about budget as it is size, it was all I could do to talk the wife into the Cornwalls and she's still on the fence.

The Khorns take up less floor space than the Cornwalls. Even if you put the Cornwalls against the wall. Klipschorns take go all the way the corner where you would not normally not use. They are big but look how they fit tight in the corner, and they look really good in a room. :) 

4 hours ago, ScottR said:

I am looking to upgrade my system and had decided on a pair of Heresy 3 but recently was offered the opportunity to pick up a really nice pair of 1983 cherry Cornwalls with risers.

The Cornwalls will sound better and fill the room more than the Heresy. (IMO) But you really couldn't go wrong with either.

Any of the three you considering would sound great with how you plan on powering them, your going to love this kind of system.  Heritage with tubes and LP's, it's a perfect match. 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Kevin S said:

The last Cornwalls I heard were the new ones I owned in around 1981 or 1982, and the Heresy II's I owned were around 2000, 2001, so I cannot give you a direct comparison. But I will tell you that my Heresy III's, with the new woofer, titanium diapragms and the tractrix tweeter horn sound great to my ears. Better than I recall the other two sounding. More detail, higher highs with no fatigue, tight, tuneful bass. My Heresy's with wall/floor placement get down into the mid 40's in my 20 X 23 ft. room. All of this is just a prelude to me saying not to dismiss them or to assume a vintage Cornwall will sound "better". The Heresy III's  may fill the bill for you nicely.

I was thinking of the overall sound, how someone listening for the first time to these models would think, to me the Cornwalls sound bigger. Now I don't have the Heresy lll, but I do have Cornwall lll's, (and they sound great) and the Cornwall lll and the Heresy lll has the same mid and tweeter but the fuller bass seems to make it sound bigger, to me at least.

That's why I said he couldn't go wrong with any of those three, the Hersey lll is a really good speaker, same parts for the top 2 drivers as  the Cornwall lll but less bass that's all.  The other thing is your room is a really good size, you can give your Heresy's a little more power, to me this is when the bass really comes alive with the Heresy, and it's tight.

....just an opinion......

Can't lose really

Edit; almost forgot,............. Welcome ScottR

1 hour ago, jimjimbo said:

Would you please link to a direct comparison between the two to validate your "without a doubt" statement?

It is in my opinion that "most people" would, "without a doubt" prefer the sound from an original Cornwall over a Heresy III. I base this on my own personal experience and from what I've gathered from other people's opinions about the two models over the years. Does that clear things up?