cd players that go good with tubes

mopardave

haven't been on in awhile, but thought I would see if I can get some good opinions on cd or sacd changers that go sonically well with tubes.  need brand and model numbers.  nothing too expensive, under $500.   currently still using my sony c333es that I had modded back in 2003.   its not reading all the disc and sometimes hanging up.     would like something sonically as good or better than the c333es.       I also have a Yamaha dvd/cd player that's sounds very nice, but not a changer.       thanks guys

oh, by the way, the home brew cornwalls are still jamming.

I own some pretty nice CD players including the Yamaha CD-S1000 and Cambridge Audio 840C which retailed for upwards of $1500.00+.  With that said, the best sounding CD player I own or have owned is the 2004 model NAD C542.  It is punchy and fast, very detailed with a slight tilt to warm from neutral sound signature.  The NAD C546BEE is the current model equivalent.

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/cd-sacd-players-nad-c-546bee-c546bee-cd-player-with-warranty-and-free-shipping-2017-02-14-digital-01060-florence-ma

Bill

• Like 2

yes it does, quite easily.      what do you think of the crites crossover networks vs ALK?   I see them in your signature.     I have home brew cornwalls with inverted horns and heresys. the heresys need crossovers as I robbed some parts while building the cornwalls.       I built the crossovers with help from this site using better parts.   had a thought of ALKS for those.

24 minutes ago, mopardave said:

I will look at the s1000 and the nadc542.

I am very impressed with the CD-S1000, 33lbs of solid heft.  Smoothest tray/transport mechanism I have ever encountered.

You might find a C542 on Ebay but you might as well buy a new/refurbished C546BEE

Look also at a used NAD C565BEE which has an outboard DAC feature like the CA 840C.

Bill

3 hours ago, mopardave said:

yes it does, quite easily.      what do you think of the crites crossover networks vs ALK?   I see them in your signature.     I have home brew cornwalls with inverted horns and heresys. the heresys need crossovers as I robbed some parts while building the cornwalls.       I built the crossovers with help from this site using better parts.   had a thought of ALKS for those.

I dont have crites cross overs... I have crites tweeter upgrades because the stock 77's were damaged, I also have cast frame woofers. My cross overs are built by Aletheia and are stunningly good in comparison to the OEM networks.

• Like 1

Well it depends on what you listen to. If you like DVD-A and/or SACD's then you have to  probably think about a higher-end DVD player that plays redboo,k plus the aforementioned formats.  I have no idea what formats are covered on the suggested players, but a regular cd player limits you to redbook (ie, standard cd's).

In that price range don't forget to consider something like an Ah2004 tubes cd-player, or maybe a CAL (California Audio Labs) mid-90's cd player.

I have never been real impressed with the sony c333es even after modded.   Craig (nos valves) had one as well and we compared the two side by side on his lascalas and could hear no sonic differences between the two and mine was modded.  I think that cost me $750 for the mod. Very disappointed.   The sony has always been forward and etchy.   Now my yamaha is great. Very smooth and easy to listen to but its a player.  Would like another changer.    Ill check the s1000 for sure.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mopardave said:

Never heard of the aletheia crossover networks.  Have to check those out.     

That was the name I gave my business, but I'm dropping it. Half the people couldn't spell it, the other half couldn't pronounce it.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Deang said:
5 hours ago, mopardave said:

Never heard of the aletheia crossover networks.  Have to check those out.     

That was the name I gave my business, but I'm dropping it. Half the people couldn't spell it, the other half couldn't pronounce it.

Everybody knows you as DeanG and your crossovers are DeanG crossovers.  That's what you should re-name the business.

That way, half of us will be able to spell it, half of us will know how to pronounce it, and half of us will be able to do both.

I'm not sayin' which half I'm in. 

• Like 1