Live Music.....

SWL

We went to a live concert last night at a small venue.

Head bangin, hard core.....no singng just screaming. Canibal Corpse type music. Yeah, look that one up.....

Years ago when I first came on this forum I remember reading how so many guys were so disinterested in live music because of the poor sound quality, etc. I've always loved live music. The louder the better. The more bass the better. Sound so loud your pant legs and shirt sleeves were electric, blowing, vibrating. Oh yeah, bring it on.

So last night here I am, don't drink anymore, in a small venue that I'm guesstimating averaged 110db+ the whole night. Ear plugs in my ears, a blank stare on my face with "This sounds like total shit" written all over it I'm sure....and I made it till about 11:30 and said screw this.

Keep in mind I was up since 4 am.....but the bass SUCKED, the bands SUCKED, and the overall sound quality just SUCKED. LOL...

Constant screaming, contantly calling the audience MFers, constant boomy bass that sounded like they blew half the woofers, what a joke!

Am I a snob now or what?!! Getting too old?!! Holy $hit I just wanted to go slap the hell out of the singer. (Singer....yeah, right!)

The whole thing was hilarious actually.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Yeah, there were three bands. The main band Soil wasn't bad but the other two....I can only remember one of them was called Beyond Threshold. The one I can't remember was by far the worst band I've seen in my life.

We had a local festival and I was like that, they had decent bands but they all went through a house system that was comprised of half a dozen ElectroVoice fairly small and apparently plastic PA speakers on each side, cranked up too high.  Loud enough that it was plenty loud enough a couple blocks away.  It was a situation where a line array was probably needed but they tried to do it with cheap speakers then cranked them up way too high.  I couldn't get anywhere near it without earplugs in, and here's these guys up in the front in front of the speakers rocking out like it's the best thing they've ever heard.  I don't understand it.  I think 90% of people are deaf.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, SWL said:

We went to a live concert last night at a small venue.

Head bangin, hard core.....no singng just screaming. Canibal Corpse type music. Yeah, look that one up.....

Years ago when I first came on this forum I remember reading how so many guys were so disinterested in live music because of the poor sound quality, etc. I've always loved live music. The louder the better. The more bass the better. Sound so loud your pant legs and shirt sleeves were electric, blowing, vibrating. Oh yeah, bring it on.

So last night here I am, don't drink anymore, in a small venue that I'm guesstimating averaged 110db+ the whole night. Ear plugs in my ears, a blank stare on my face with "This sounds like total shit" written all over it I'm sure....and I made it till about 11:30 and said screw this.

Keep in mind I was up since 4 am.....but the bass SUCKED, the bands SUCKED, and the overall sound quality just SUCKED. LOL...

Constant screaming, contantly calling the audience MFers, constant boomy bass that sounded like they blew half the woofers, what a joke!

Am I a snob now or what?!! Getting too old?!! Holy $hit I just wanted to go slap the hell out of the singer. (Singer....yeah, right!)

The whole thing was hilarious actually.

Yup, old snob.... Welcome to the club.  :D

Smaller shows tend to not sound that well. They don't have the greatest of equipment, plus they tend to blast the music in a small room, so a ton of reflections. I saw Seether recently at a small/medium venue and they sounded great. I saw Rival Sons at a very small venue and it was eh as far as sound good. Then I saw Metallica at Gillette Stadium (where the NE Patriots play) and it was amazing.

Some of the most memorable live shows I've seen were at small-medium sized venues. One that will always stand out was a Styx tribute band that I seen in a small club attached to a bowling alley.

It was about 15 years ago and I can remember them having a few laptops on stage. At the time that stood out to me....maybe now it's normal? The sound was perfectly dialed in. The acoustics were great, the band was great and it was loud but not overdone. I think the band was called 'Light Up'.....named after the song.

20 hours ago, SWL said:

I'm not accusing you of growing up, but welcome to the polite clapping crowd.  B)

d8DEOtY.gif

• Like 3

Last live concert I went to was Zappa plays Zappa... in one of the premier venues here OTS (on the strip), sound was horrible. I think the engineer mixed the sound for his position as those of us in the front rows could not even here some instruments at all, including the lead guitar. I have seen some youtube videos from the same concert and you can clearly hear the instruments. Must have been some canceling going on.

• Like 1