What I Got Today!

Brac

I made sure that all of my kids learned to drive a stick shift. I figured they would need to concentrate more on driving rather than texting etc. I bought an  78 BMW 320i for 800 bucks. All three of them learned to drive in it. I just saw one just like it sell on bring a trailer for 30K. Should have kept it! The best thing about having them learn on a manual that when they all went off to college they had manual tranny cars and no one could borrow their car! They now greatly appreciate that they know how to actually drive!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, joshnich said:

I made sure that all of my kids learned to drive a stick shift. I figured they would need to concentrate more on driving rather than texting etc. I bought an  78 BMW 320i for 800 bucks. All three of them learned to drive in it. I just saw one just like it sell on bring a trailer for 30K. Should have kept it! The best thing about having them learn on a manual that when they all went off to college they had manual tranny cars and no one could borrow their car! They now greatly appreciate that they know how to actually drive!

2 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

I have an 80 320i sitting in my driveway that my son wants.  

BMW in the 70’s and 80’s - when men were men and BMW’s were BMW’s — 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, joshnich said:

I made sure that all of my kids learned to drive a stick shift

I considered that. Didn't want to pay for new clutches...thought about renting a car with manual tranny. Figured that if they ever got the bug to get a performance car with manual that they could pay for it. I recall my street rods with pressure plate springs so heavy that my leg would start shaking at a red light.

With that said, good on ya, I told my daughter today that a manual transmission was a lost art like eh, writing a letter.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, richieb said:

BMW in the 70’s and 80’s - when men were men and BMW’s were BMW’s — 

No Kidding. Talk about loosing their way! I have owned 8 of them. 2 -2002's a 1602. a 528i, 630i, 535i , a 330i and the afore mentioned 320i. The 330i was a 2003 and that is the latest model year I have owned. All of them were awesome cars and would be happy to own any one of them now!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, USNRET said:

I considered that. Didn't want to pay for new clutches...thought about renting a car with manual tranny. Figured that if they ever got the bug to get a performance car with manual that they could pay for it. I recall my street rods with pressure plate springs so heavy that my leg would start shaking at a red light.

With that said, good on ya, I told my daughter today that a manual transmission was a lost art like eh, writing a letter.

Clutches are cheap compared to slushboxes that always break.

14 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Clutches are cheap compared to slushboxes that always break.

True if not taken in totality.
Weird tale; I had to be awarded a 1964 1/2 Mustang convertible six banger 3 speed based on family demands.
I had that car 11 months and put 13 transmissions in it. Some I re-built and some I purchased from a auto parts store as remanufactured.
Every time the input gear to cluster gear meshing failed once lasting the length of time it took to back it off the lift and putting it in first gear for the first time.
Bellhousing to tranny check including flywheel and pilot bushing.
Pressure plate and disc check
Engine / transmission / drive train alignment check..before and after tranny mount to crossmember attachment.
Never did figure that one out and sold it with a bad transmission.
Guy that bought it replaced the tranny which promptly failed.
Parked in the front yard and a out of control 18 wheeler took down a old growth oak tree that totaled the Mustang.
Good riddance. 

4 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

It was a ford.

Yep. Many years later I bowed down and bought a new Bronco. I drove it from Mountain View, Ca to Texas. 15 miles from my destination the ring gear/pinion and rear brake plates exploded. NEVER again; period. While visiting car lots with my 15 year old she told them that she would never buy a Ford. I must have said something over the years.

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Clutches are cheap

had a friend (and two of his friends) visiting from Australia many moons ago. Their plan was to buy a used car and use it while they were here (a month or so), then sell it when their vacation was over. I had an old Honda that needed a clutch.  I told them, put a clutch in this Honda and you can use the car while you're here.  We both made out on that deal. 

Just now, Randyh said:

here in the northern country , you need the Xdrive  , for the snow , which makes into a great handling car , the only problem are all the gadgets , you need a week just to understand how they all work 

I was living in Los Angeles at the time -- atmospheric conditions there can be simply brutal.  One time, I forgot my sunglasses and the drive home was torture.

• Like 2

There is commonality amongst us -

2002, 2002tii, 320i, Bavaria 3.0, 2800, 528i, 533i. When introduced to the brand with a 1973 2002, B’s were scarce as hens teeth around here, maybe seeing a handful a month and flashing lights when passing. Most people think it meant British — —. When they started becoming common as Accords and Camry’s, and their prices became too much to stomach I left the brand. The 2800 and 3.0 straight sixes were so beautiful to drive and hear, so smooth. Too many I know in the industry tell mostly horror stories of the new Gen twin turbo cars and tell me to run fast away from them, unless under a solid, ironclad warranty. No worries, I have zero desire for another —