Glen Campbell Dead At 81

billybob

Campbell made his bones as a studio guitarist in L.A. in the early 60s. He was in and out of The Wrecking Crew (the group of musicians that played on all of Phil Spector's records, the Beach Boys records and about a thousand other #1 songs). If you closely watch the DVD of the T.A.M.I. show you can see that Campbell was one of the three guitarists in the large house band that Jack Nitzche put together for the show (applauding as James Brown runs off the stage after totally stopping the show).

If you haven't seen the entire T.A.M.I. show, you owe it to yourself to rent/buy it if you're at all interested in pop music (it was taped in the fall of 1964 and broadcast in movie theaters like a pay-per-view concert). It features live performances from:

• James Brown
  • The Rolling Stones
  • The Beach Boys
  • Chuck Berry
  • Gerry and The Pacemakers
  • The Supremes
  • Lesley Gore
  • Marvin Gaye
  • Smokey Robinson and The Miracles
  • Billy J. Kramer and The Dakotas
  • Jan and Dean (who also hosted)

Everyone plays and sings 100% live — NO MIMING. In my opinion the artists who totally killed it were The Beach Boys, Lesley Gore and James Brown who, as I mentioned, absolutely stops the show. However, everyone on the bill is worth seeing and hearing at least once. (Berry was backed by the house band, and the producers had him trading songs with Jerry and The Pacemakers, which came off kind of sloppy. I'd MUCH rather Berry had performed a solid set all by himself.)

As someone who had a relative with Alzheimer's I think his passing is bittersweet. I watched his TV show and my sister played his music often. I enjoyed when he starred in the original True Grit. I guess like many others I will add some of his music to my collection as I must admit to not having any.

RIP Glen Campbell.

17 hours ago, DizRotus said:

The documentary I'll Be Me on Netflix was very good.

https://www.netflix.com/title/80015766

That show was very good. I saw it a year or so ago. I believe he lasted longer than normal with Alzheimers because of his family around him, he had an amazing wife.

My Mom had Alzheimers for 15 years, she did remarkably well for 13 of those years. I think my parents' zest for life, their positive attitude, and staying busy was the key to her length of quality of life. My dad is almost 88, and still very busy.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ole Dollar said:

As someone who had a relative with Alzheimer's I think his passing is bittersweet. I watched his TV show and my sister played his music often. I enjoyed when he starred in the original True Grit. I guess like many others I will add some of his music to my collection as I must admit to not having any.

RIP Glen Campbell.

His fairwell song (to his wife), "I'm Not Gonna Miss You" is a tear jerker.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

How in the world did i miss this thread?  RIP Mr. Campbell.

Glen was an inspiration for me.  I recently saw an Alice Cooper interview -- he and Glen were VERY close friends, golfed often, and even their wives and children are friends.

Alice said that Glen was so respected that one time Eddie Van Halen asked if he could get a lesson from Glen.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

How in the world did i miss this thread?  RIP Mr. Campbell.

Glen was an inspiration for me.  I recently saw an Alice Cooper interview -- he and Glen were VERY close friends, golfed often, and even their wives and children are friends.

Alice said that Glen was so respected that one time Eddie Van Halen asked if he could get a lesson from Glen.

I saw that same Alice Cooper interview. I always somewhat admired Glen, until I saw his Alzheimer's doc, then I became a huge fan. And some of the videos of his guitar skills, he was pretty good. 

BTW...I'm an Alice Cooper fan also, exceptional golfer.

• Like 2