' 89 LaScalas - Have decided not to sell. Thanks.

Deang

On 12/22/2017 at 2:56 AM, geoff. said:

If you are lucky, I am talking diligently fortunate, you MIGHT find a STOCK pair of LaScalas in GOOD condition for 1300 bucks up here.

You certainly would not find the host of upgrades offered by Dean at this price anywhere else.  Anyone out there in Klipschland who has never owned LaScalas and is on the fence would be well advised to JUMP immediately on these.

This is an insanely “fair” price.

I snipped your post for brevity, but I agree with everything you said.  :emotion-21:

I don't mind commenting on sales in Alerts! but when forum members are selling I don't comment because I don't want to interfere with the buying/selling price if I'm not planning on buying.  Dean has decided not to sell so I feel like I can jump in without driving the price up or down to Buyer or Seller.

I've got a pretty good idea of what those LS's are worth because I sold an unmolested pair for $1400, ten years older with a more basic finish (no grills) and his were upgraded with superior components way beyond my stockers.  Somebody should have grabbed that bargain at the great asking price before Dean changed his mind and decided to keep them.

Too late now.  B)

Just now, Deang said:

I received several low ball offers, which just ticked me off. The offers barely covered the upgrades!

I think the $1500 sounded fair with the upgrades even before i saw the pictures of how nice they were. I just don't have it in me to drive three hours to pick up speakers, especially this time of year.

Tim

I heard that.

I think the horn loaded designs will always have a leg up on the dynamic radiator designs. I'm sure the Forte III's sound very nice - but they're not LaScalas - which I equate with a larger and more dynamic sound. I think as nice as the Forte III's probably sound -- they would be step backwards from the LaScalas.

Hi Jim,

Well, Bruce posted some pictures, and they still look just like the pictures he posted. Some detailed pictures would have showed some flaws, buy hey -- the things are almost 30 years old -- and really -- the new horns, drivers, and crossovers -- practically covered the asking price.

I only had two PMs. One I ignored, the other I responded to in detail. He seemed to understand, and admitted that he should have just paid the $1500 asking price.

They're very nice. I should have asked $1700.00.

8 minutes ago, Deang said:

I heard that.

I think the horn loaded designs will always have a leg up on the dynamic radiator designs. I'm sure the Forte III's sound very nice - but they're not LaScalas - which I equate with a larger and more dynamic sound. I think as nice as the Forte III's probably sound -- they would be step backwards from the LaScalas.

I don't think it would even be close.  LS all the way

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Deang said:

I one hundred percent agree, maybe even $1750.  When I saw what you were offering for that (I think) low price I about flipped because I knew what you had.

I think what you had going against a quick sale was the time of the year, the Christmas season.  Any other time I think those would have gone in a couple of weeks.

Whew.. for a moment I thought Dean was experiencing a dissociative fugue. After finally landing on my '88 La Scalas and throwing in the CT-120/A-55G drivers it will take a miraculous product and a much larger listening space for me to get rid of them. The only remaining changes I foresee are a fresh coat of black and a rebuild of the AA networks with Jupiter caps.

Glad you decided to keep them Dean.

20 minutes ago, Deang said:

Hi Jim,

Well, Bruce posted some pictures, and they still look just like the pictures he posted. Some detailed pictures would have showed some flaws, buy hey -- the things are almost 30 years old -- and really -- the new horns, drivers, and crossovers -- practically covered the asking price.

I only had two PMs. One I ignored, the other I responded to in detail. He seemed to understand, and admitted that he should have just paid the $1500 asking price.

Not to belabor the point, but I sent you a PM as well.  Probably the one you ignored......:ph34r:

Hope you have a great holiday.  Take care.

33 minutes ago, Deang said:

I received several low ball offers, which just ticked me off. The offers barely covered the upgrades!

It is almost impossible not to take offence at ignorance masquerading as cheap.

You could have gotten that kind of abuse on kijiji if you wanted it! Lol.

I gave away a pair of RF-3’s to co-worker for free when one goof on kijiji tried to talk me down to $150 after agreeing on $200. 

Driving times are relevant to rarity. I drove from Toronto to Sudbury and back after work one day for my first pair of Cornwalls, almost a nine hour round trip.

I had just about convinced myself it was time to revisit the state my dad was born in!

5 minutes ago, Deang said:

Really? I don't see a PM from you Jim

Sorry Jim, I missed your PM.

You asked for pictures, which I didn't provide. A fail on my part -- sorry bro. But seriously, most of the magic was the work I put into these.