grill material removal

mopardave

Cane material like Klipsch speaker grill cloth?  If it's like the Heritage line, that is NOT a stretchy material like typical black acoustically transparent grill cloth you buy most anywhere.  You have to line up the "grid" all the way across and make sure it stays lined up all the way horizontally and vertically. 

How did you apply the original grill cloth?  And is "old black grill material" the grill cloth I mentioned above?  If it's not stapled on, just pull it off and be done with it.  There shouldn't be that much glue that would matter in going over with new cane grill IF you used something like 3M Super 77 adhesive.  Are they stapled as well or just glue?  Too many variables here.  Any pictures of backsides of grill? I've made, covered, recovered, etc., etc., hundreds of grills since about 1980 so shouldn't be a big deal.  What about just building a new pair so you're starting with a clean slate?  Aren't Cornwall grills made out of some sort of 1/4" material like masonite or MDF?  Those would be easy.

1 hour ago, avguytx said:

Cane material like Klipsch speaker grill cloth?  If it's like the Heritage line, that is NOT a stretchy material like typical black acoustically transparent grill cloth you buy most anywhere.  You have to line up the "grid" all the way across and make sure it stays lined up all the way horizontally and vertically. 

How did you apply the original grill cloth?  And is "old black grill material" the grill cloth I mentioned above?  If it's not stapled on, just pull it off and be done with it.  There shouldn't be that much glue that would matter in going over with new cane grill IF you used something like 3M Super 77 adhesive.  Are they stapled as well or just glue?  Too many variables here.  Any pictures of backsides of grill? I've made, covered, recovered, etc., etc., hundreds of grills since about 1980 so shouldn't be a big deal.  What about just building a new pair so you're starting with a clean slate?  Aren't Cornwall grills made out of some sort of 1/4" material like masonite or MDF?  Those would be easy.

The cane material i have now came from Bob Crites.     When i built the CW's i also built the grill panels out of masonite.  I layed the nylon grill material on the floor, sprayed the panels with 3m 77 and layed the panels on the material. Cut, trimmed around edges, glued and folded.  The black material was very stiff and hard to fold.

Plus you could leave some of the black threads and it potentially show through or make the cane cloth bulge from the old parts being underneath.  You could try a hair dryer on its hot setting and use a paint scraper, of sorts, and push underneath the material.  It's going to leave a sticky residue so be careful what you're laying the grills on.

6 minutes ago, baron167 said:

Please post a pic. I'm very interested in gong this route on my Cornwalls. Thanks!

Here's the "cane grill from Mr. Crites @BEC on a pair of Heresy that I recovered. Jason STR covered my CW grills with the black cloth now used by Klipsch, he said it wasn't the easiest to work with. The material from Mr.Crites was easy to work with , 3M R77 spray

Mark

grills.jpg

CRITES 1.jpg

• Like 1