La Scala improvements

Dave A

On 8/20/2018 at 6:20 AM, Dave A said:

I have some ideas for that 400 horn percolating and they wont be dynamat or polyfill. 

The K-400 makes an amazing funnel. Also works well as a door stop or a jack stand. ☺️

Looks like you have mad skills, I am sure you will come up with something nice.

The tweeter looks amazing, aluminum Eliptrac HF.

Good luck in your endeavors, keep up the good work.

42 minutes ago, Deang said:

When you get rid of the K-77,  the K-400 sounds pretty good. I think that spike through the ear isn’t being caused by the K-400. 

Absolutely getting rid of the K-77 has made an improvement for me even when using the APT50.

11 minutes ago, mark1101 said:

Just the opposite for me.  Get rid of the K77 and the speaker doesn't sound like a Klipsch anymore.  Change the K400 to a tractrix horn and EVERYTHING improves.  

If you take your hands and cup your ear while listening to music with my hearing I can hear things like cymbals I don't hear otherwise. To me switching the K77's out meant not only was the shrill gone but now things sounded like I had my hands cupped over my ears and I could hear those little subtle bits again without having my hands cupping my ears. So for me it drew me closer to the concept of Paul Klipsch where things needed to sound natural. Everyone has their personal favorite concept of perfect sound though and it is why I sell my reworked speakers as pick up only.

There are many factors. I can only speak for my listening environment and listening habits.

I also think the Fc of the Fastrac LaScala is too high to run with the old Klipsch networks. I think the K-400 loads the driver better. 

I ran Bob's tweeters and at first experienced the better high end extension and smoothness and enjoyed them for awhile.  I agree they have better specs and are smoother.  I thought the timber did not sound like a Klipsch speaker though, and the output was low.  It wasn't my intention to change the sound that much.  I returned to the K77s months later and was happier with the original sound.  I know Bob has improved versions.  I have not tried those.

As far as the Fastracs in my lascalas that was the best change I ever made for those speakers...........along with the ALK networks.  I can't find any faults with that setup.

22 hours ago, Deang said:

When you get rid of the K-77,  the K-400 sounds pretty good. I think that spike through the ear isn’t being caused by the K-400. 

Interesting. Wish I would have known this when I had my LSi splits.  Bottleneck k400 got all the  blame from me.

22 hours ago, mark1101 said:

As far as the Fastracs in my lascalas that was the best change I ever made for those speakers...........along with the ALK networks.  I can't find any faults with that setup.

Search the archives on that horn. Al says the Universal is borderline, and that the horn requires steeper slopes to be ideal.

If anyone is running any of the older stock Klipsch networks, the Fc of that horn is too high. With the K-400, the crossover is almost a full octave about Fc. With the Fastrac LaScala and an AA filter, you are sitting right on top of it (the Fc). Not good.

3 hours ago, Maximus89 said:

Interesting. Wish I would have known this when I had my LSi splits.  Bottleneck k400 got all the  blame from me.

If you're in a big room and jacking on the volume with a mediocre sounding solid state amp, the K-400 can put you in the fetal position.

I'm in a modest sized room, sit 10-2 feet back, and use a well designed 35 wpc Ultralinear tube amp. It sounds great.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
27 minutes ago, vuthecuongjapan said:

Dear Dave A,

Currently Im using pair of La scala 1 with CT120 tweeters. 

LMAHL Tweeter can be installed into La scala 1?

If yes, is it worth to upgrade from CT120 tweeter to LMAHL Tweeter?

@vuthecuongjapan

if you type the symbol @ and then the persons screen name, that person is alerted that there is a message directed to them.

@Dave A

And welcome to the forum.

As to your question: To my knowledge there is a LMAHL which will fit the La Scala I. Dave has also produced the horn lens from oak and walnut. These cost a bit more, but look beautiful.  I do not own his product, but many forum members have used them and report favorably and enthusiastically about its efficacy.

JBCODD

• Like 1