Hurricane Florence 2018

wvu80

And if you're keeping track of what is coming....

Look at a radar of the ACC states right now, there's a low system with 50% chance of being a tropical system 200 miles south of the cape today! Doesn't matter if it turns into anything right now `cause

RAIN IS COMING

http://www.intellicast.com/national/radar/current.aspx?location=USNC0121&animate=true

A FB friend and local historian (85) scratched his leg on his pier and later went into the water (ocean).  He developed a particularly nasty bacterial infection and in the course of ten days had a leg amputated and then......three days later passed away. 

I will be vacationing in about a week at Nags Head, on the Outer Banks, but will not be going into the water.

The old saying "the solution to pollution is dilution" applies here.  While not a solution perhaps a short term remediation.

• Like 2

The adjuster at my lady friends place seemed helpful enough.  She has spent close to 10K on tree removal, a couple of trees on the roof.  Getting estimates now for roof repair and fence repair.  Yard was cleaned up yesterday and power washing scheduled for Tuesday.

I will be out about $1500 not covered by insurance (trees and yard clean up).  Then to replace the gravel washed from driveway.  I was one of the fortunate ones.

There are many folks and animals still hurting here and will be for some time.  The pictures are horrendous.  One major artery (Hwy 421) washed out.  There was literally tons of fish covering the roadway on I-40.  Whole sections of towns are now underwater New Bern and Pollocksville for two). 

Tough days ahead..........

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

14 minutes ago, Tarheel said:

A FB friend and local historian (85) scratched his leg on his pier and later went into the water (ocean).  He developed a particularly nasty bacterial infection and in the course of ten days had a leg amputated and then......three days later passed away. 

I will be vacationing in about a week at Nags Head, on the Outer Banks, but will not be going into the water.

The old saying "the solution to pollution is dilution" applies here.  While not a solution perhaps a short term remediation.

wow.  having never lived on or really close to water bodies of any size, I never would have considered what happened to the historian.  yuck.  from something as simple as a minor scratch, complicated by apparent infection from the runoff.

don't blame you for not getting in the water.  don't think I would either.  I might even avoid drinking it, stick to beer, spirits with sealed bottle mixers.  would think in lack of a boil water notice that tap water & ice would be ok.

• Like 3

• Moderators
20 minutes ago, Tarheel said:

Vibrio bacteria can become flesh eating, usually in young, elderly or people with compromised immune system.

Dilution doesn't work.  It is based on water temp.  Anything above 65.  On Atlantic coast the incidence of infection goes WAY down in October.

Flood waters are very bad for Vibrio, the CDC reported a spike in vibrio infections after Katrina.

We have it pretty much all year in the Gulf Coast.  Just don't let anyone go in water that has a cut and you will be fine.

Travis

• Like 3

• Moderators
16 minutes ago, Tarheel said:

The adjuster at my lady friends place seemed helpful enough.  She has spent close to 10K on tree removal, a couple of trees on the roof.  Getting estimates now for roof repair and fence repair.  Yard was cleaned up yesterday and power washing scheduled for Tuesday.

I will be out about $1500 not covered by insurance (trees and yard clean up).  Then to replace the gravel washed from driveway.  I was one of the fortunate ones.

There are many folks and animals still hurting here and will be for some time.  The pictures are horrendous.  One major artery (Hwy 421) washed out.  There was literally tons of fish covering the roadway on I-40.  Whole sections of towns are now underwater New Bern and Pollocksville for two). 

Tough days ahead..........

I will come out and help you redo the gravel (you supply bourbon).

I am really glad you came out relatively unscathed.

Travis 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

Vibrio bacteria can become flesh eating, usually in young, elderly or people with compromised immune system.

Dilution doesn't work.  It is based on water temp.  Anything above 65.  On Atlantic coast the incidence of infection goes WAY down in October.

Flood waters are very bad for Vibrio, the CDC reported a spike in vibrio infections after Katrina.

We have it pretty much all year in the Gulf Coast.  Just don't let anyone go in water that has a cut and you will be fine.

Travis

Manuka Honey is very good at killing bacteria and I would recommend everyone have a stock. My grandpa had a nasty MRSA infection in his forehead eating away his skull. The doctors tried all sorts of expensive drugs and antibiotics and finally gave up and pretty much told him he was going to die. My wife looked it up and we finally convinced them to apply Manuka Honey topically twice a day. To the doctors surprise, the MRSA was completely wiped out in a week. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, -js- said:

wow. whatdoyaknow?!?  I've heard that MRSA is some REALLY bad stttt.  and something as common as Manuka Honey saved his life!  wow.  pretty cool

Its pretty cool stuff, here is a research article on it. I guess the Manuka plant has a compound that kills the bacteria cells as they try to divide to reproduce. 

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/26879781_The_intracellular_effect_of_manuka_honey_on_Staphylococcus_aureus

• Like 2

cool.  I couldn't take much of that before my eyes starting glazing over.  but still - pretty cool that a natural remedy will do what MD's, & big pharm research couldn't do.  that last part is pretty freaking awesome.  to me, anyway.  good stuff.  thx TWK

• Like 1

I'm really glad that storm the other night got bumped out into the ocean, heard of the floodwaters still being there. We haven't dried out here yet but that's nothin' compared to your house soaking in a new lake.

That water spilling out below Cape Fear looks rank.

• Like 1

• Moderators
6 hours ago, twk123 said:

Manuka Honey is very good at killing bacteria and I would recommend everyone have a stock. My grandpa had a nasty MRSA infection in his forehead eating away his skull. The doctors tried all sorts of expensive drugs and antibiotics and finally gave up and pretty much told him he was going to die. My wife looked it up and we finally convinced them to apply Manuka Honey topically twice a day. To the doctors surprise, the MRSA was completely wiped out in a week. 

What a relief, they discovered a cure.

• Like 1