Considering Klipschorns

DTLongo

At the age of 60, I have recently moved into a house possibly able to accommodate a pair of my "dream speakers" from even teenage years, the Mighty Klipschorn. I have two corners begging for such, along the long wall of a cathedral ceilinged sitting and music listening room, 15' x 12', with a 7' x 6' opening into the rest of the house in the middle of that wall. I realize that room is still smallish for these speakers, but at this stage of life I am more interested in crystal clear imaging and symphonic instrument separation than in titanic low bass. (Such bass I have in another Velodyne 15" servo-subwoofered home theater area). Plus, the Klipschorns are classic, heirloom speakers and beautiful pieces of furniture to boot.

My question: Is this room simply too small for my dream Klipschorns? Or should I go for it?

Genuinely, thank you in advance. /s/ Thomas Longo, Ocean Pines, MD

Welcome to the BB Thomas!

My vote is to go for it! I have bucked conventional wisdom and put a pair of K-horns on he short wall of a 14' x 24' room. I am using "false" corners to angle the K-horns toward the seating area more thus putting the sweet spot deeper into the room.

Many here may advise you that the best listening position is found by forming an equilateral triangle from the corners the speakers are in to your sitting area, but I prefer to sit near the intersection of of a 45° angle drawn out from the corners the speakers are in (does that make sense?). When I am seated I like to be pretty much looking right down the throat of the squawker's horns.

What kind of amplification would you be considering to drive your K-horns? That may be another factor in determining if your room is large enough. Lower powered amps may be preferable to larger amps in a small(ish) room. I find 3 wpc to be just right!

Keep us posted on your thoughts and decisions!

This may work as a link to a thread I posted with photos of my room:

click here I'll be surprised if the link works...

Tom,

The first room I set my k-horns in was similar to yours; a high ceilinged 13 X 16 formal living room, open on one narrow end to the rest of the house. The results were very good. So I don't think your room dimensions are a problem at all. GO FOR IT!!!

Doc

Don't get anal about room size - in this endeavour you are an audiophile not a proctologist.

The following is presented with apologies to those physicians who must always get to the bottom of things. I recognise that many of the things that go wrong in the lower bowel and further south are not the least bit funny and that expert intervention can and does save lives and relieve/reduce suffering. That said I love the following story from Groucho Marx:

Groucho Marx used to tell a story about one his non showbiz brothers,( Irving - I think) who was an MD. It seems Dr. Marx's class had a twenty year reunion and he asked one of his classmates about a certain Dr. X who had been the least admired and most irritating individual in the class. Someone piped up and said, " He's making a killing as a proctologist - Marx said "Takes one to know one ! "

PS.

BUY YOUR FARGING HORNS!!

My father dropped dead 6 months after buying the home he always fantasised about. I could raphsodise about his attaining his dream before dying but the fact is that he could have had that place long before that but he and mom were hung up on getting everything right financially etc. and therefore put off buying their dream home for years until it was literally too late. Mom, Dad, and the Dream Home are all gone now - The house burned down about 2 years after dad died and mom was gone a year or so later.

Gee, there is no reason to get wobbly over the room size. The ultimate effect is very difficult to predict in any geometry.

I'd think you'll be very pleased with the results. If it is less than satisfactory you can play around with placement, etc. At worst you can sell them for close for what you paid for them, and eat worms.

I say you should do it.

Gil.

Get the k-horns....if you find that the room corner placement is a problem for your intended listening position, simply put the k-horns into false corners and place them wherever you want!! You have already waited TOO LONG for them NOT to get them NOW!!! Go for it!! You won't regret it!!

Buy the k-horns, don't worry about the small room. my theater room is 20x18 with a pair of k-horns a pair of lascalas and two subs. As long as you can dampen the room to deter deflection you will be fine.What the hell you olny live once !!!!! enjoy your golden years.

Thank you Edster00 and others for your very encouraging replies. Edster, your link worked fine and the photo is a real help in visualizing those Khorns in my actual room.

Re amplification, for the moment I would use the Khorns with an older Pioneer Dolby Pro-Logic receiver run in stereo-only mode, a good faithful tank I've had since around 1990. I quite understand that might not be ideal but I can upgrade to something purer later. I would also buy and use a graphic equalizer. (The receiver has pre-out, main-in connections.)

I am strongly inclined to chase this dream but, ah, the price. The dealer I'm working with says he can special-order them from Klipsch for list $7,500. He's offering them to me for $6,500, and I may get him to throw in some Monster-cable-such wire. I had thought that a pair of basic walnut Klipschorns these days were on the order of $5,000. What do you all think of the $6,500 price?

Again, sincere thanks in advance.

/s/ Thomas Longo in Ocean Pines, Maryland 4.gif