I DO NOT CELEBRATE the 4th Of July! I MOURN IT!!

JohnKuthe

42 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Exactly.  it was far more effective!

What the hey, there is a lot wrong with the state of things, but we all have to play the cards we are dealt...there is a lot right, too...

Wrong again, your history is sorely lacking, you must be having an AOC moment.

21 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

Wrong again, your history is sorely lacking, you must be having an AOC moment.

Think about it.  Dispassionately.  Which had more effect on the target population?  Which population has influence in the world today?  Which gets billions of our own taxpayer dollars in military aid alone?  Which has its own independent country?  Food for thought in the technicality department, I know.  There is nothing wrong with my history.  The results speak for themselves.  Which group is making lasting contributions to the world right now? Bringing up AOC on the subject demonstrates your political slant, not a historical perspective.  Even though I am not here to defend nor detract from what you refer, holocaust (the Nazi one) historians have backed whatever it was she said in terms of accuracy, when it comes to a definition of terms.  If the result is to neutralize a people on the world stage, which war was more effective?  It is as simple as that, regardless of any moral judgment or defense.   I realize you want to attempt to insult me by comparison with a congress person, too bad but that dog won't hunt.  Pull your head out of your politics, and just think about it.  Compare and contrast---like the SAT or ACT test.   

• Thanks 1

There's nothing to think about, you either understand history or you don't. It would appear you see or compare only the massive scales of death, and think it's all the same. It's not. Was Genghis Khan the same as Alexander the Great, same as Pol Pot, same as Adolf Hitler, same as Pope Julius II, same as Shaka Zulu, same as the Prophet Mohammad, etc. etc. etc......  Of course not.

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

There's nothing to think about, you either understand history or you don't. It would appear you see or compare only the massive scales of death, and think it's all the same. It's not. Was Genghis Khan the same as Alexander the Great, same as Pol Pot, same as Adolf Hitler, same as Pope Julius II, same as Shaka Zulu, same as the Prophet Mohammad, etc. etc. etc......  Of course not.

You are confusing effectiveness with methods and motives.  I am not comparing individual figures in history, and yes, I do understand them and the history.  "There's nothing to think about"...never mind dude, don't strain yourself.

• Haha 1

You are confusing effectiveness with methods and motives.  I am not comparing individual figures in history, and yes, I do understand them and the history.  "There's nothing to think about"...never mind dude, don't strain yourself.

No that's not what I'm doing. I responded to your inaccurate comparison. The United States as a Nation never set out to exterminate native Americans. That's were you missed the boat.

On the subject genocide and efficiency, no one did it better than the Germans. So you're wrong on that subject "efficiency" as well.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Deliberate slaughter of their food supply and way of life must not count for you. Believe the lies you wish.  I am not making a direct one for one analogy between those two either, that is simply the corner you want to place me in.  I also never mentioned efficiency, the term was effectiveness.  Like I said in the first place, there is a lot of good to go around with all of the bad.  There really is no argument.

• Thanks 1

No argument, just a couple of facts.  Pre WWII Jewish population is regarded to have been around 16.5 million.  Today it is once again around that number.  Conservative estimates of pre Columbian native American population are around 50 million.  2019 population is just under 1.8 million.  Effectiveness,  and I already said in my first post I am not making any judgment or moral call here, that is a topic for a different discussion, or at least argue with someone else about it.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

No argument, just a couple of facts.  Pre WWII Jewish population is regarded to have been around 16.5 million.  Today it is once again around that number.

Wow! That seems incredible....I don't doubt it, but if Gilbert isn't going to ask for a  link I'm gonna--Link?

7 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Search engines are your friend.  Maybe you will find something different.

I realize I could and  for now will take your word on it--Both you and Gilbert are arguing historical facts and I was trying to see who could come up with a link to back up their position. :) 

1 hour ago, Gilbert said:

No that's not what I'm doing. I responded to your inaccurate comparison. The United States as a Nation never set out to exterminate native Americans. That's were you missed the boat.

On the subject genocide and efficiency, no one did it better than the Germans. So you're wrong on that subject "efficiency" as well.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

BS!! Ever hear of Andrew Jackson's "Indian Removal Act"?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_Removal_Act

Institutional Extermination/removal of Native Americans!!

MORAN!! 😞 Learn some HISTORY! It's NOT PRETTY! You were LIED TO!

John Kuthe...

On 7/4/2019 at 10:13 AM, Bosco-d-gama said:

For all the ‘bads’ done by our country there are as many - or more ‘goods’. America is often the 1st responder offering the most whenever disaster strikes. Regardless our uniformed service people go and serve when and where directed........ and they sacrifice, too often the maximum sacrifice. Like it or ‘no’ there is much to celebrate about this country. This is why America is the destination for the worlds oppressed peoples. Show some respect.

That’s a bit self-centred.  There are many countries that take in refugees, even ones fleeing from the US in the dead of winter.  Germany took in over a million refugees over the last few years, and many other European countries have done their part, as has Australia, with its total population less than half that of California.  Yes, The US has done a lot of good, but do you ever ask yourself why only the US has hundreds of military bases outside its borders?  Other countries don’t feel that need.

3 hours ago, TubeHiFiNut said:

That is great! :)

My Nona entered the USA through Ellis Island about the same time. I found the manifest and a photo of the ship that brought her from Naples to NYC. :)

during the restoration of Ellis island..

we made a donation and had my grandfathers name engraved somewhere in the building...

• Like 1