The Klipsch Audio Community
YK Thom

HP-3 Headphones

Has anyone had experience with these headphones? They look fantastic and I have been reading extremely good reviews. I'm quite content with my current home rig but have decided to acquire a nice high end pair of headphones in 2020, something I have never owned. These might be the ticket.

I'm kicking around the choice between the Klipsch HP-3 and the Meze 99 Classics ( which also feature wood ear cups).

And I've wondered why there's no no talk about the HP-3's as I've read that they have that Klipsch "Heritage" sound.  Surprised you've had no responses.  I'm certainly interested in them also.

As for your HP-3 or Meze 99 Classics question:

On 11/30/2019 at 12:36 PM, YK Thom said:

I'm kicking around the choice between the Klipsch HP-3 and the Meze 99 Classics ( which also feature wood ear cups).

I'm of the belief that as far as headphones are concerned, no one pair is right for all listening, plan on owning 2 or more different types. 

I own Audeze LCD 2-C's, Meze Noir 99's (the 99 Classic clone from Massdrop), Audeze iSine 10, Sennsheiser 650.

The Meze Noir 99's are a fantastic bargain when on sale for $160 (regular $200).  It is a closed headphone though so the sound is a bit more "closed" in which isn't that noticeable until you listen to something like the Audeze's open planar headphones.  

I haven't heard the the Klipsch HP-3's and don't doubt they'd be nice to have.  Unfortunately their list price has increased to $1,379, even eBay used units are usually around $900 - $1,000.

I'd get a pair of the Meze's from Massdrop, now called "Drop" (because they sound good, can be run off of anything and are relatively cheap) and after listening to them for awhile, see if you want to go further in the personal listening part of our hobby, which is going to mean more $ of course.

• Like 1

Thanks for the response. I took the first step forward this week by ordering a Dragonfly Red amp/DAC. I'll see how that works with my Monster Inspirations and then I'll source a pair of Meze Noir 99's.

On 2/2/2020 at 10:26 AM, YK Thom said:

Thanks for the response. I took the first step forward this week by ordering a Dragonfly Red amp/DAC. I'll see how that works with my Monster Inspirations and then I'll source a pair of Meze Noir 99's.

Well, I ordered a pair of Klipsch HP-3's in walnut and will let you know what I think.

• Like 1

Good for you. I am very very curious. On paper they seem to be the ticket but I have read nothing about them from owners. I hope they are great.