HELP -- I tried to cook again

BigStewMan

11 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

I’ll be trying it soon.  because of my OCD, i think i asked everyone in the world about this ... since it was a dairy product concern, i exchanged a few emails with this nice lady that is the food safety expert with the Arizona Dairy Association.  As everyone indicated, it isn’t a food safety concern, just affects the texture. 

I appreciate the help guys ... even those that want me in pain and living in the bathroom. 

who knows ... maybe i’ll open a restaurant.  Go ahead and say it ... “Yes Chef."

YES CHEF !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
4 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

yeah it was good ... even my brother liked it. problem is that i made a lot and my craving was satisfied so i’m not interested in the leftovers. 

will try tacos tomorrow.

I don't think I have ever tried it? I guess like anything else (almost) it could be fine, I think the corn thing threw me off.  Never tried to many chowders but there not far off from some popular things here.

6 minutes ago, dtel said:

I don't think I have ever tried it? I guess like anything else (almost) it could be fine, I think the corn thing threw me off.  Never tried to many chowders but there not far off from some popular things here.

just don’t forget the Ketchup -- good food must be red. Was eating lunch with a couple of my Portuguese cousins and we had a good laugh about how all the food we ate growing up was red. Tomatoes or tomato sauce went in everything ... and yes, i still put Ketchup on stuff with tomato sauce (spaghetti, lasagna, etc...).

I remember being a teenager and my Mom threatened to give me a bowl of ketchup and a loaf of bread for dinner ... I was so excited!  After I was adopted (age 9), the new family soon got used to my love for the stuff. actually, i was not a picky eater ... the only things that i never liked were liver, yogurt, and cottage cheese ... oh yeah, and Okra.  

• Moderators
1 minute ago, BigStewMan said:

just don’t forget the Ketchup -- good food must be red. Was eating lunch with a couple of my Portuguese cousins and we had a good laugh about how all the food we ate growing up was red. Tomatoes or tomato sauce went in everything ... and yes, i still put Ketchup on stuff with tomato sauce (spaghetti, lasagna, etc...).

I remember being a teenager and my Mom threatened to give me a bowl of ketchup and a loaf of bread for dinner ... I was so excited!

That explains alot of things, but really ketchup on something with tomato sauce already on it might be a little too much for me. 

I have to say I really do like alot of ketchup with some things and I usually add salt and pepper at least to the ketchup.And I have to say I have had it just on bread when I was hungry and needed to eat something fast and didn't have time. But I do eat almost anything.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

I remember being a teenager and my Mom threatened to give me a bowl of ketchup and a loaf of bread for dinner ... I was so excited!  After I was adopted (age 9), the new family soon got used to my love for the stuff. actually, i was not a picky eater ... the only things that i never liked were liver, yogurt, and cottage cheese ... oh yeah, and Okra.  

Making beef barely soup isn’t that hard. If you want it to taste more like the Campbells beef barely soup finish it off by adding tomato paste. The tomato gives it both the appearance and the flavor of their signature soup.

• Like 1

Try this Mr Crock Pot:  Find a nice sized roast somewhere, a bag of redskin potatoes, bag of baby carrots,  couple cans of Campbell's mushroom soup and 1 12 oz. can of coke.  Throw in the roast, 2 cans of mushroom soup and 12 oz can of Coke (only Coke, no diet stuff) and fire it up on high for about 2 hours.  Halve the taters (as many as you want) and toss the carrots in at that point for an hour or so, turn it down to low until the taters n carrots are done.  Don't EVEN question the Coke either.  There won't be any left.  YES CHEF!  (ketchup if you want it)

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, Dave1290 said:

Try this Mr Crock Pot:  Find a nice sized roast somewhere, a bag of redskin potatoes, bag of baby carrots,  couple cans of Campbell's mushroom soup and 1 12 oz. can of coke.  Throw in the roast, 2 cans of mushroom soup and 12 oz can of Coke (only Coke, no diet stuff) and fire it up on high for about 2 hours.  Halve the taters (as many as you want) and toss the carrots in at that point for an hour or so, turn it down to low until the taters n carrots are done.  Don't EVEN question the Coke either.  There won't be any left.  YES CHEF!  (ketchup if you want it)

sounds awful, he'll love it!

Ketchup is a bonus

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dave1290 said:

(ketchup if you want it)

I'd want ... I prefer red food to brown food.  Funny, I was just thinking a few minutes ago how I want some pork chops. I will go buy them if my brother cooks.  but, then I remember that he is nuts about gravy and often cooks meat in a  cream of mushroom or some other thick brown.gravy.  Often I'll just pass, but if I'm hungry, I'll go for the ketchup to give it some color. I actually had a pork chop once that had lemon juice on it (after cooking) and the lemon went well with the pork chop according to my taste buds. While my brother is a gravy fan, I love sauces like A1.

• Haha 1

you guys make me question the way I was raised. Until my 9th birthday (when I was adopted and shipped away), I was living with my Portuguese side of my family. Of course Grandma and Grandpa and the Aunt's & Uncles were pretty hardcore Old Country people. 

When I returned to the Bay Area (early 20s), I was at my grandma's house. I was craving fried chicken and decided to try to make it. My grandma comes into the kitchen, cane in one hand, a $20 bill in the other and telling me to go buy myself a dress. She actually seemed angry that I was cooking (instead of my girlfriend).  My girlfriend used to get mad at my uncle because if he got up, I'd ask him bring me a beer when he came back. He'd say, "you know if you married a Portugee gal, she'd bring you another beer before you finished the current one." I thought it was funny ... she didn't. 

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, BigStewMan said:

you guys make me question the way I was raised.

Well it seems just as you said, all of that does exactly sound like typical "old school" people even if not Portuguese, not bad just old school.

I thought you were going to say she wanted you to have a better chance at fried chicken if went and bought some. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, dtel said:

I thought you were going to say she wanted you to have a better chance at fried chicken if went and bought some. 

I could do no wrong in my Grandma's eyes.  When I was a little one, she used to sit me on her lap and say, "Little BigStewMan, someday those guys on the Klipsch forum will say things about you ... don't believe them -- you're a national treasure for two countries!"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Good job...Abit like art in that almost anything goes in cooking it seems.

Just a little secret have kept to myself... ketchup.

Use it in all my red sauce pasta recipes and chili... tends to mellow it and imparts a nice thicki g agent when added near the last. No watery for me, thanks 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1