Covid19 redux

Bosco-d-gama

• Moderators

If you look at that clinical trial site, it includes foreign trials of companies who want to be able to sell in US.

From what I read Moderna had an early lead.

There are 40 something in pipeline, of 5 or so different types.

Their was testimony on where vaccine was on the time line earlier this week.

Travis

Just now, dwilawyer said:

If you look at that clinical trial site, it includes foreign trials of companies who want to be able to sell in US.

Travis

You know those chipmunks in the cartoons that say "After you", "No after you", "No I insist".... I'll ride out the first wave thanks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, tube fanatic said:

https://www.npr.org/2020/05/14/855641420/with-school-buildings-closed-children-s-mental-health-is-suffering

My wife, a retired Special Ed. teacher, is still in touch with the parents of many of her former students.  The issues described in the article are mild compared with what is going on in some families. 

Maynard

Special Ed Teachers never have it easy   ,  teaching is their vocation , the support and resources , are nowhere to be found , and  they have to fight for basics -and the needs are increasing because of covid-19

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pzannucci said:

The whole problem started with and is based on your item 1.   China does not want to be part of the world brotherhood and would like to control.  This was an easy way to allow steps for that to occur if they could get on top of COVID quicker than other countries so they could come out on top.  Same reason for all the hacking.  First country to the finish line wins and controls.

As you said, you can't win.  Locking down as necessary would not work in the US.  There would be a revolution.

This really needed to be stopped at it's source, at the beginning.  No one is going to win.  This is just going to have to play itself out as in 1918.  Open up and protect yourself.  You'll die of no food or something else anyway if you don't (all the things like cancer, diabetes, heart conditions, other ailments that aren't being attended to) is going to be worse long term than COVID.  Really really dumb.

Ultimately I believe we will end up where Vietnam started. Instead of having a nationwide lockdown we will respond to local flare ups aggressively. There’s no question but what we will suffer from surges as we proceed to open up the economy. If we get good at early recognition and react in quick order we should be able to limit them at least or quash them at most.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

Travis

India already manufactures most of the vaccines used these days and their industry is poised to urgently produce covid19 vaccines in volume. But they still need to know which vaccine to manufacture. The BBC reported that one of the vaccines in Rhesus monkey trials has been successful at ‘limiting’ covid19 infections. Meaning that monkeys vaccinated had a less severe covid19 infection than the control group of monkeys similarly infected without being vaccinated. So it did not ‘prevent’ covid19 it just reduced its severity. Not exactly a home run in my book.

https://www.seruminstitute.com/about_us.php

24 minutes ago, billybob said:

The hearing the other day is looking at the fall, early winter

for a vaccine.

the vaccine is being fastracked ,   but when it will be ready ,say in 2021 ,

1) they have to  test it with other drugs to find out it's real side effects  ---that's the big ? --how long   ? in time ,  to adapt the vaccine to infants up to the elderly ---

-then 2)-  we have the various strains of the virus , will it mutate in the fall when flu kicks in on top of Covid 19 ,  and will the vaccine apply to the new strains ,  Dr Fauci was more concerned with the flu in the Fall , than the current outbreak --

https://www.pharmaceutical-technology.com/news/moderna-covid-19-vaccine-fast-track/

3)- let's look into the past , all the way up to 1918 and see how it was resolved  by another physician  , and let's hear Dr Fauci's position  in this video -------

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/05/health/dr-fauci-thomas-tuttle-1918-influenza-wellness-trnd/index.html

1 minute ago, RANDYH said:

the vaccine is being fastracked ,   but when it will be ready ,say in 2021 ,

1) they have to  test it with other drugs to find out it's real side effects  ---that's the big ? --how long   ? in time ,  to adapt the vaccine to infants up to the elderly ---

-then 2)-  we have the various strains of the virus , will it mutate in the fall when flu kicks in on top of Covid 19 ,  and will the vaccine apply to the new strains ,  Dr Fauci was more concerned with the flu in the Fall , than the current outbreak --

https://www.pharmaceutical-technology.com/news/moderna-covid-19-vaccine-fast-track/

3)- let's look into the past , all the way up to 1918 and see how it was resolved  by another physician  , and let's hear Dr Fauci's position  in this video -------

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/05/health/dr-fauci-thomas-tuttle-1918-influenza-wellness-trnd/index.html

All I can say is, watch the C-Span coverage of the hearing then get back to me. Thanks!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Marvel said:

We've placed all our eggs in one basket. Having diversification in a world economy would be a start. Classic division of labor. If all follow the rules, we all win. With the large population in the US, we could make everything here, but there are some resources that would still need to come from places outside our own borders. I doubt you will find knitting mills back in business in the US, at least not on the scale they were in the past. Some industries probably could be rebuilt. It wouldn't be quick.

America needs to define core industries that are survival critical and keep them corralled. Countries now live or die via technology and we should not have an Achilles’ tendon beyond our control. I believe this is a cohesive need where schools need to teach skills necessary for manufacturing and our citizens must learn those skills. It is a high tech Rosie the riveter mentality from here forward IMHO.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, billybob said:

All I can say is, watch the C-Span coverage of the hearing then get back to me. Thanks!

you mean this, hearing  , I was not very impressed by the Politics , none of these guys can afford N95 masks , I can send them a few if they want ,

https://www.c-span.org/video/?471986-1/vaccine-official-rick-bright-testifies-coronavirus-pandemic-response

• Thanks 1

Just found a study which makes a strong case for transmission of the virus through the eyes (I have been combing the literature and most have been speculative).  If this is really confirmed I imagine that tight fitting goggles, like swimmer’s goggles, will become required when in public.  What’s next, full hazmat protection?

https://res.mdpi.com/d_attachment/jcm/jcm-09-01269/article_deploy/jcm-09-01269.pdf

Maynard

• Like 1

"...  nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation."

I have a friend in the restaurant business, and it looks like she's done over all this.  She just couldn't weather the destruction to her business wrought by the government.  It's not a taking of property, I guess, but the effect is just as bad, if not worse.

This is what has perplexed me since this pandemic began.

1 hour ago, tube fanatic said:

Just found a study which makes a strong case for transmission of the virus through the eyes (I have been combing the literature and most have been speculative).  If this is really confirmed I imagine that tight fitting goggles, like swimmer’s goggles, will become required when in public.  What’s next, full hazmat protection?

https://res.mdpi.com/d_attachment/jcm/jcm-09-01269/article_deploy/jcm-09-01269.pdf

Maynard

security goggles should be good enough -----I wear them already , and no-one even notices ---

14 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

I have a friend in the restaurant business, and it looks like she's done over all this.  She just couldn't weather the destruction to her business wrought by the government. 

a lot of businesses are going under while their bigger competitors are open , and seeing sales right through the roof -----

• dtel locked this topic