Jump to content
The Klipsch Audio Community
Sign in to follow this  
seti

DIY Guys show your workbench....

Recommended Posts

I'm still learning how to use the Sound Technology Gear but it is all restored. Can't even count how many caps we replaced. I've fallen into a hole of test gear restoration not just tube amps. If you can't measure what you've built how do you know what you got??

 

Here is my first tech work bench... Everything works.

 

 

 

IMG_9978.jpeg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/18/2020 at 4:03 PM, seti said:

I'm still learning how to use the Sound Technology Gear but it is all restored.

 

I see several variacs -------

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, deafbykhorns said:

Complete with distortion analyzers

0783041B-609C-4F96-BD1C-4564E12AB9A5.jpeg

972EAD85-3750-419E-8438-01C56267D180.jpeg

 

That is a luxury work area... WOW!!!!!

Who made the GM70 amps????? Nice and clean!!!

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not an electronics workbench and pretty cluttered today, but that's the way it is when working on a project.

bench.jpg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, rigma said:

Work Bench.jpg

 

 

That is superb but I would not have expected less. Is that one of the MC30's I sold ya? Loved those but at the time plumbing was even more important lol...

 

Just so you know it is your fault I'm building now. In Hope we heard your 300B amps and you said I could build and just needed to start small...  I am planning a 300b / 50 triode amplifier.

 

What is the device with the green face?

 

Thanks!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That MC30 was not one of them but I had already gone through them about a year ago.

 

The green thing is a vintage AC&DC power supply with 3 Variac's, ma. amp, mv & AC/DC volt meters. I bought it from a old TV shop they went out of business for $50.  I asked about it's history & he said it was built as a school project in the 1960's, back when they used to teach practical things. Oh it did have one broke DC meter which took me a year to find a replacement, but all is working now.

PS.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The unit with the 5 Multi Meters was my build.  It has a 10 amp isolation trans supplying the top outlet with the variac. The 5 meters are because I am scared of high voltage! ⚠️ It is designed so I can connect to 5 voltage points under test with power off, switch on and see results without getting hands near danger while probing around. It is designed to where it only needs 1 ground connection, (to help prevent a rats nest) to DUT or more if needed, switch selective. Mike Beasley helped me simplify this concept.

5 meters.jpg

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reminds me a bit of Lilly Tomlin's switchboard on Laugh-Inn!

 

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Coytee said:

Reminds me a bit of Lilly Tomlin's switchboard on Laugh-Inn!

 

 

One ringy-dingy 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, rigma said:

That MC30 was not one of them but I had already gone through them about a year ago.

 

The green thing is a vintage AC&DC power supply with 3 Variac's, ma. amp, mv & AC/DC volt meters. I bought it from a old TV shop they went out of business for $50.  I asked about it's history & he said it was built as a school project in the 1960's, back when they used to teach practical things. Oh it did have one broke DC meter which took me a year to find a replacement, but all is working now.

e

amazing unit ---------------------50$ is less than the value of 1 of the smaller variacs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, rigma said:

The unit with the 5 Multi Meters was my build.  It has a 10 amp isolation trans supplying the top outlet with the variac. The 5 meters are because I am scared of high voltage! ⚠️ It is designed so I can connect to 5 voltage points under test with power off, switch on and see results without getting hands near danger while probing around. It is designed to where it only needs 1 ground connection, (to help prevent a rats nest) to DUT or more if needed, switch selective. Mike Beasley helped me simplify this concept.

5 meters.jpg

 

Fear of the electric blue jesus is what kept me from DIY. I kept reading the safety articles until I had it down and also met an experienced local tech..

 

This is brilliant...

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't see any hammers.  How can you guys fix anything without a hammer?

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

I don't see any hammers.  How can you guys fix anything without a hammer?

Or duct tape....that stuff fixes anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

Or duct tape....that stuff fixes anything.

Duct tape and WD-40.  If it moves and it isn't supposed to, use duct tape.  If it doesn't move but is supposed to, use WD-40.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've always felt that WD & Duct tape were very misguided.....

 

It's Vice Grips or nothing baby!!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/9/2020 at 1:56 PM, rigma said:

The unit with the 5 Multi Meters was my build.  It has a 10 amp isolation trans supplying the top outlet with the variac. The 5 meters are because I am scared of high voltage! ⚠️ It is designed so I can connect to 5 voltage points under test with power off, switch on and see results without getting hands near danger while probing around. It is designed to where it only needs 1 ground connection, (to help prevent a rats nest) to DUT or more if needed, switch selective. Mike Beasley helped me simplify this concept.

5 meters.jpg

 

Hey Rigma you got a schematic for this thing ? I like the concept.. Could keep me from seeing electric blue jesus.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/9/2020 at 4:00 PM, RandyH000 said:

amazing unit ---------------------50$ is less than the value of 1 of the smaller variacs

I've gotten a couple variacs at swap meets. One was in a homemade power supply. People don't know what they are, or what they cost new.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...