Pictures of your Tube Amplifiers

henry4841

36 minutes ago, OO1 said:

there are testers on Ebay from HK  , most likely recycled gear  , https://www.ebay.com/itm/284931611899

to avoid testing or buying quantities of this tube  , seek a seller who matches tubes 

I had a talk with him a while back. He's from canada and getting supplies from china per order. To make it short, the deal is, its a brand new or newly assembled, 48 business days to get here, no return even if DOA. Yes that's very clear and exactly what I was told. Its like I gave him the money for a new product, he pockets it and whatever I get, that's what I get. Bottom line is, I still need a tester. I cannot rely on matched tubes. I have so much experience encountering surprises even from some suppose to be reputable US dealers. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CCG said:

I had a talk with him a while back. He's from canada and getting supplies from china per order. To make it short, the deal is, its a brand new or newly assembled, 48 business days to get here, no return even if DOA. Yes that's very clear and exactly what I was told. Its like I gave him the money for a new product, he pockets it and whatever I get, that's what I get. Bottom line is, I still need a tester. I cannot rely on matched tubes. I have so much experience encountering surprises even from some suppose to be reputable US dealers. 

I assume you want to match tubes for push-pull operation.  If that is the case they need to be matched using a curve tracer to ensure proper balance under signal conditions.  In my opinion and experience that is the only way to go if that is important to you. Whether you will be able to hear much difference is for you to judge.  You can get some insight about this here:

http://aeaaudio.com/matching-tubes-with-a-curve-tracer/

Maynard

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CCG said:

I would not put to much faith with sellers offering matched tubes. All depends on how they are matched and if you ask the inevitable will say yes on whatever you ask. Roger Modjeski on one of his presentations at BAF commented on this. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tube fanatic said:

I assume you want to match tubes for push-pull operation.  If that is the case they need to be matched using a curve tracer to ensure proper balance under signal conditions.  In my opinion and experience that is the only way to go if that is important to you. Whether you will be able to hear much difference is for you to judge.  You can get some insight about this here:

http://aeaaudio.com/matching-tubes-with-a-curve-tracer/

Maynard

Yes and thank you for the info. 

Yes it is a push pull. "Initially" It is very important for me to have the tube balanced well first. if not, it will eat the tube by itself.

I was able to prolong the tube life of my other amps with just this simple method. In this particular 6c33c-b, even the ones that came in the same batch, they are measuring all over the place. lets say in a 20 piece you can probably fetch a good match within 3 to 4 tubes (6 to 8 total). The way how these tubes are constructed.. think of the early 2000 sovteks. Its like that kind of quality. But if you can get a good match. its the "Queen Bee."  Bottom line I need a tester. It doesnt have to be fancy as long as I can check atleast the ma, shorts, etc...

Thanks CCG

On 6/2/2023 at 6:23 PM, CCG said:

sounds good!

Sorry, no good news...  Both most common ussr testers Л3-1 and Л3-3 do not have ability to work with 6С33С.

Have asked 2 friends (both make amps based on this tube) - both of them match 6С33С-s when they are already on their place in the working amplifier

Edited by koba

3 hours ago, koba said:

Sorry, no good news...  Both most common ussr testers Л3-1 and Л3-3 do not have ability to work with 6С33С.

Have asked 2 friends (both make amps based on this tube) - both of them match 6С33С-s when they are already on their place in the working amplifier

Okay sounds great. And thank you o much for trying. So does the tester requires a large amount of power (bigger transformer to light these tubes up?

Thank you again,

CCG 

This new amp just came in yesterday and currently on a road test.. 15 watt  6C33C-B integrated amp in SE mode. Boy this thing runs hot and I have to leave the fan on all the time. :sweating:
[IMG]

[IMG]
  • Like 3

On 6/2/2023 at 3:22 PM, henry4841 said:

I would not put to much faith with sellers offering matched tubes. All depends on how they are matched and if you ask the inevitable will say yes on whatever you ask. Roger Modjeski on one of his presentations at BAF commented on this. 

Exactly .

How would the Purchaser verify ??

Not happening Just market bull

11 hours ago, CCG said:

Okay sounds great. And thank you o much for trying. So does the tester requires a large amount of power (bigger transformer to light these tubes up?

Thank you again,

CCG 

The tester (Л3-3)  does not have a socket for 6C33C also no current/power enough to work with this tube although some people in web say enough to test it "half by half" - You can find it in the middle of the page (pictures) https://forum.cxem.net/index.php?/topic/112494-карты-для-измерителя-параметров-ламп-л3-3-л1-3/page/6/-

Can help if Googletranslate is not good enough

Edited by koba
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, koba said:

The tester (Л3-3)  does not have a socket for 6C33C also no current/power enough to work with this tube although some people in web say enough to test it "half by half" - You can find it in the middle of the page (pictures) https://forum.cxem.net/index.php?/topic/112494-карты-для-измерителя-параметров-ламп-л3-3-л1-3/page/6/-

Can help if Googletranslate is not good enough

Hi and thank you for the follow-up. Did I understand the explanation saying instead of measuring it on full and powering it on 12.6 V / 3.2A, external powering, they use 6.3 volts instead and measuring it half of the current. So instead of the result being 230ma (new), youre just targeting  115-120... Is that correct?

Thank you for the follow-up.

7 hours ago, CCG said:

Hi and thank you for the follow-up. Did I understand the explanation saying instead of measuring it on full and powering it on 12.6 V / 3.2A, external powering, they use 6.3 volts instead and measuring it half of the current. So instead of the result being 230ma (new), youre just targeting  115-120... Is that correct?

Thank you for the follow-up.

Sorry I'm not technician - you'd better ask someone who is competent in it

As far as I understood he measure each half of the tube separately

Edited by koba
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, koba said:

Sorry I'm not technician - you'd better ask someone who is competent in it

As far as I understood he measure each half of the tube separately

Okay I go it. I'll see if I can find others to build me a test unit instead. I work 2 jobs and not sure if I have time to do this myself. Thank you for the generous information. I appreciate it.

CCG