The Klipsch Audio Community
Tony T

Best Solder for Crossover Caps

I decided I'm going to practice and get good at cap replacements on many of my crossover networks. Guessing rosin core 60/40 is preferred? Please correct me if I am wrong.

Much thanks!

That is all I use, but there will be others that may demand boutique type solder with things like high silver content.

63/37 has the lowest melting point and is eutectic in other words it has no "plastic state" 

I use Cardas Quad Eutectic. I don't believe solder has a "sound", but it isn't too expensive, melts really well and leaves a nice shiny joint. I prefer it to Kester 44.

• Like 1

Would you know off hand the cheapest place to purchase?

Thanks for you help!

Well, I don’t consider it a boutique item, but I do prefer a Solder that I get from parts express with a small silver content, which melts very easily and presents a very clean configuration.

8 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

Well, I don’t consider it a boutique item, but I do prefer a Solder that I get from parts express with a small silver content, which melts very easily and presents a very clean configuration.

And would this solder you speak of be Cardas Quad Eutectic?

And while I'm at it, what is the best applicator. Obviously this is smaller detail than a soldering GUN approach. A soldering pen perhaps? 

I did see a nice "Hakko FX888D-23BY Digital Soldering Station FX-888D FX-888 (blue & yellow)" on Amazon for 106 bucks. Would this be a wise choice? Or do I just head over to Harbor Freight?

On 12/28/2020 at 12:41 PM, grendel23 said:

I use Cardas Quad Eutectic. I don't believe solder has a "sound", but it isn't too expensive, melts really well and leaves a nice shiny joint. I prefer it to Kester 44.

ding , ding , we have a winner -

31 minutes ago, Tony T said:

And would this solder you speak of be Cardas Quad Eutectic?

And while I'm at it, what is the best applicator. Obviously this is smaller detail than a soldering GUN approach. A soldering pen perhaps? 

I did see a nice "Hakko FX888D-23BY Digital Soldering Station FX-888D FX-888 (blue & yellow)" on Amazon for 106 bucks. Would this be a wise choice? Or do I just head over to Harbor Freight?

WGT silver Solder at parts express. And the Hakko soldering stations are very nice.

Yep Cardas Quad...I have used a few types but this one melts best, easier to work with and holds a stronger bond IMO

I like a thin wire silver solder I got years ago at Radio Shack.  I use it because it has a higher melting point, in case the joints heat a little at high power. 

I just started with a new 1lb. roll of 2% silver solder. I thinks it's Kester but I'll have to check. I got it 16 yrs. ago when I redid my dynaco, but never opened the package until recently as I was finishing up a roll of the same.

For me it's all about the flux. A syringe of 'chipquick' changed my whole game for the better. There's so much control, and so little waste, I'm not feeling at all bad about it costing $12. The joints are beautiful.

On 1/1/2021 at 10:26 PM, Marvel said:

I just staryed with a new 1lb. roll of 2% silver solder. I thinks it's Kester but I'll have to check. I got it 16 yrs. ago when I redid my dynaco, but neveropened the package until recenly as I was finishing up a roll of the same.

For me a pound a year. At least until the last couple of years where a pound has lasted 2 years. Always used 60/40 and never a problem for me. I keep and use flux on repair work and big wire and components when necessary. Does help tremendously and may be a useful product for those that have not done or do not do a lot of soldering.