Went heritage speaker shopping yesterday . . .

blue360cuda

7 minutes ago, KT88 said:

Nice one and great sound, I have shazamed it directly. BTW you must also film the later evening song with your phone freehand, after some good redwine🤓

Not sure which one you're referring to, but it will be without red wine. Gave that up years ago.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, svberger said:

Not sure which one you're referring to, but it will be without red wine. Gave that up years ago.

No special song, I thought a song of your choice like this beautiful morning song. I have to create a youtube account then I record and play my Lascala also once here. Currently with Quad transistor pre and power from 1988 which sounds better than I thought it would.

3 minutes ago, KT88 said:

No special song, I thought a song of your choice like this beautiful morning song. I have to create a youtube account then I record and play my Lascala also once here. Currently with Quad transistor pre and power from 1988 which sounds better than I thought it would.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Kalifornian said:

Having been someone who worked his way through LaScalla, Belles, Fortes, and klipschorns I will say this.  Save all your money and get a 2-way jubilee.  I have mine in a 11x12 listening room and hands down by a magnitude better sound, presence, bass, everything. 

For the price of very nice new car, they better be.

20 hours ago, blue360cuda said:

The thing that keeps me leaning back towards the La Scalas is how well they imaged during my demo.

I've owned 2 pairs of Khorns, and 2 pairs of LaScalas with Subs (bass reflex DR and Full Horn Loaded THTLP's), not counting 3 pairs of Peavey "cheap scalas."

The superior Phase Coherence in the LaScala with Subs, makes it a better choice than the Khorns, which take up less space in corners than the LS or Cornwall.

Personally, for my money, I would still go for LaScalas with 2 Subs, one in Front and one in Rear of the Room, crossed at 80 Hz. This will bet you almost a full 2 octaves of BASS your can FEEL, while the LS will give you bass your can hear only. When you shut off the subs, it all feels "thin" for a lack of a better term.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

The superior Phase Coherence in the LaScala

The bass portion of a LaScala is about 2.7 feet long. The Midrange portion of a LaScala is 2 feet long. 0.7 feet LENGTH difference between the 2 horns is only 0.7 feet (approximately). This means that the Bass/Mid horns are within 1/4 wavelength of each other at the crossover point, which, effectively brings them into reasonable "Time Alignment." 

This is the main reason why I think they are better than Khorns in this regard. PWK himself told me didn't believe anything below a 2 millisecond time delay was audible on speech and music. He also said the tweeter didn't matter that much and was inaudible (even though it's off more than 2 ms.)

This is why my ears have always told me the LaScala had better soundstage than the Khorns IN SMALLER ROOMS. When the room got huge, then the difference became less acute, like in PWK's own living room which was big enough for 2 Khorns in false corners, with enough room for 2 Grand pianos along with the 2PH3 system with a Belle (Pretty version of LaScalas) in the center with mono signal.

2 hours ago, svberger said:

For the price of very nice new car, they better be.

I am not sure but I think that Kalifornian refers to the underground Jubilees which were ca. 7.500 USD without the crossover but with standard mid-tweeter drivers.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

The bass portion of a LaScala is about 2.7 feet long. The Midrange portion of a LaScala is 2 feet long. 0.7 feet LENGTH difference between the 2 horns is only 0.7 feet (approximately). This means that the Bass/Mid horns are within 1/4 wavelength of each other at the crossover point, which, effectively brings them into reasonable "Time Alignment." 

The tweeter/mid alignment makes more of a difference.

I guess Klipsch isn’t making the commercial jubilees available to the public anymore?? If you spend some time lurking on Craigslist and eBay you can put yourself together one. And with an active crossover it takes the speaker to a whole nother level.  All the things everyone talks about with standard heritage speakers is mainly due to lack of ability to change the crossover for your needs.  Once you throw an active xo in the mix the results put all these other discussions to rest

• Like 1