The Heritage Jubilee have arrived!

MMurg

10 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Both of my systems are always powered up also. Something I did on my own.

I have 3 Yamaha Pre-Pros as front end units for 2 and 11 channels respectively with one unused spare unit. Did the Yamaha recommendation come from the web, a PDF, or a phone conversation? Are the amps you leave on Class D types?

Enquiring minds want to know. LOL.

Claude, I got that information from three sources.  First, in the Stereophile review of the Yamaha MX-D1 power amplifier, the reviewer stated that the amp sounded better after having been on for 24 hours.  I don't know why it would take that long for everything in the amp to stabilize, but that's what he said.  That amp is Class D.  Oddly enough, the front of the amp is marked Natural Sound Stereo Digital Power Amplifier, when its actually a dual-mono analogue unit.  All Class D power amps are analogue, not digital, as I'm sure you realize.

Second, I was told by a Yamaha tech at Yamaha Canada Music that the amps should be left powered on, when I called up for some help with the user interface of the RX-A2060.

Third, I was told the same thing by a Yamaha rep at a Manufacturers' Day at the local AV/hi-fi shop.  He said that the only drawback was shortening the life of the display on the AVR.  I've noticed this on my older AVR, in that the element that represents the Tuner has grown dimmer than the other Input icons, since I used the tuner most often on that receiver.  

However, I found a way around that by setting the RX-A2060 AVR to Pure Direct.  For ultimate sound quality, that shuts off every non-stereo circuit, including all of the video circuits, plus the feeds to the subwoofers.  It also shuts off the display, which only lights up momentarily when you adjust the volume, then goes dark again.  This way, the display is only being used when I'm actually listening to the system.  Accordingly, at the end of the day I turn the volume way down (often I'm listening to Net Radio at that point), switch to Pure Direct, and head for bed.  The Yamaha AVRs' power amps are Class AB.

Also, since Pure Direct cuts off the subwoofers, it can be useful for late night listening, when you don't want to disturb anyone with throbbing bass notes travelling through the walls and floors.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, babadono said:

Is it a lacquer finish? If so I would try some pure tung oil wetted on some 0000 steel wool. Rub it judiciously and remove excess tung oil almost immediately.

Have you actually done this yourself?  Have you attempted to repair a lacquer finish with tung oil?

14 hours ago, Cicerogue said:

Have you actually done this yourself?  Have you attempted to repair a lacquer finish with tung oil?

Yes. For this small aberration it should work just fine. Do not let the tung oil sit and set up and dry.

5 hours ago, Marvel said:

They are different types of finishes... not the way to do it.

Just touched up a RSW-15 cherry that somehow got a few scuffs using this technique. I challenge anyone without a magnifying glass to find them. I touch up all the lacquered cherry cabinetry in my house from time to time with tung oil also.

One of the used RSW-15s that I have acquired was beat up a little more than this technique could handle and I had to re-lacquer. What a PITA---I would advice all other attempts first before resorting to re-lacquering.

As always YMMV.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, babadono said:

I touch up all the lacquered cherry cabinetry in my house from time to time with tung oil also.

Pics or it didn't happen!

Although, I have used that Homer Fonby's cleaner, tung oil and lemon oil on my old quarter-sawn oak kitchen cabinets.  Wish I still had that house.  Ugh!

2 hours ago, Dave1291 said:

Sorry about the thread crap @MMurg it just happened!  Ok guys, outta the kitchen.  :)

The piano movers are coming tomorrow to move the Jubilee inside.  I think I'll start a new topic for that.  🙂  That way people don't have to go eight pages in to find the next set of pictures.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I have experience with every type of wood finish currently available and I could not disagree more strenuously with the advice given in this thread.  Even with my experience, I would not attempt to "repair" this almost undetectable flaw.  For the purpose of this discussion, it would be reasonable to equate the lacquer finish on one's speakers to the clear coat on an automobile.  I would not use any product or technique that would not be appropriate to subject your Mercedes to.  If I was to do anything it would be to apply a quality carnuba wax.  This may result in an acceptable improvement and is least likely to do harm in the hands of an amateur.

Having said that, it is up to the OP which internet stranger he is willing to trust with potentially damaging his sizable investment.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Cicerogue said:

I have experience with every type of wood finish currently available and I could not disagree more strenuously with the advice given in this thread.  Even with my experience, I would not attempt to "repair" this almost undetectable flaw.  For the purpose of this discussion, it would be reasonable to equate the lacquer finish on one's speakers to the clear coat on an automobile.  I would not use any product or technique that would not be appropriate to subject your Mercedes to.  If I was to do anything it would be to apply a quality carnuba wax.  This may result in an acceptable improvement and is least likely to do harm in the hands of an amateur.

Having said that, it is up to the OP which internet stranger he is willing to trust with potentially damaging his sizable investment.

Absolutely agree with all of the above.  Any type of oil is a very poor choice.