Chorus 2 modded with more efficient woofer?

Bubba_Buoy

2 hours ago, Marvel said:

The opposite is also true. Many people have come on here and said their LaScalas have no bass and the midrange is like a buzz saw in their forehead. When I lowered the midrange to balance the output of the bass, I could turn the gain up and it didn't hurt the head so much and the bass sounded more full.

Did not have a great experience with my LaScala ....No freakin bass whatsoever to match the hot Horns

5 hours ago, the real Duke Spinner said:

Did not have a great experience with my LaScala ....No freakin bass whatsoever to match the hot Horns

Exactly! That's what I've been saying. If you would have dropped the mids, Duke, you would have probably liked them.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Crankysoldermeister said:

Thank you for the chart. It clearly shows that it is not about the ESR at the frequencies where the cap should filter. It is about the difference of the ESR in the low frequency range where we "actually do not" need this cap, and there a change from Mylar to PP can mess up a lot and change the impedance of the entire crossover unfavorably. In addition, amplified effects due to the high efficiency of the Heritage speakers.

1 hour ago, Marvel said:

Exactly! That's what I've been saying. If you would have dropped the mids, Duke, you would have probably liked them.

Well...I can not experiment as all I have left are the LS Pro tops. 

Wife stole the cabs. 🤬

Anyways..

I am still in the Klipsch family enjoying my KLF 30s

Which I do really enjoy.  🙂

I have had, over 55 years...many Speakers

Including owning a Cabinet Shop producing road gear  .JBL based stuff in Hemlock, New York..  when Music was fun in the 1970s 🙂

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KT88 said:

Thank you for the chart. It clearly shows that it is not about the ESR at the frequencies where the cap should filter. It is about the difference of the ESR in the low frequency range where we "actually do not" need this cap, and there a change from Mylar to PP can mess up a lot and change the impedance of the entire crossover unfavorably. In addition, amplified effects due to the high efficiency of the Heritage speakers.

Also, at the risk of channeling Medwin, remember that capacitance adds in parallel, while resistance divides in parallel. That is to say, for example, two identical capacitors in parallel have twice the capacitance but half the resistance.

The opposite is also true: two identical capacitors in series have half the capacitance and twice the resistance.

So you can almost always find some series/parallel combination that gives you whatever combination of capacitance and ESR that you need.

21 hours ago, Crankysoldermeister said:

It's still a Mustang, but ...

"There's a type of electronic fuel injection that was very popular in the 1980's, 90s, and two thousands, that used a manifold air pressure (MAP) sensor to determine the mass flow rate of the air going through the engine. Typically, when the engine would go to wide open throttle, the amount of air pressure inside the intake manifold would be equal to the barometric pressure. If the exhaust system were to be improved by removing a simple cast exhaust manifold and replacing it with a performance header, the air flow rate will go up. As the MAP sensor will still be reading barometric pressure, the computer system will have no way to detect the extra air. In this way, the engine will run leaner and could damage the exhaust valves or the tops of the pistons."

true to a point, usually has to be extremely lean condition to actually damage valves or pistons & just changing to better flowing mufflers or even adding headers wont cause that or any other damage.  tuning on the lean side within reason creates power in carb'd or EFI engines.  but for the last 20 years or so, most guys that do any major mods like that to an older system that cant compensate for the changes will have their cars computer tuned by a professional or since the 60's have the carb modded for the changes like cams, exhaust or head porting etc.  but i see your point that mods can change things that the rest of the system may not be able to support.... but its still a mustang, only better.  

20 hours ago, Crankysoldermeister said:

It's amazing what you can get out of Roy if you know the secret code. The problem with the secret code is that it's "secret". Quite the inconvenience. You also need the decoder ring. I don't have that yet.

obviously i dont know the secret code nor do i have a decoder ring...  its clear that a simple question asking for a very basic explanation on some of the comments made about changing caps, even to the same type, are ignored.  apparently its off limits to ask klipsch to explain these things... i guess we will just never get it.  :unsure:

21 hours ago, Crankysoldermeister said:

The cheap ones do. You also need good recordings to notice it. That's not showing up on the stuff I play. 

I prefer film and foil, but at this point I've decided to acquiesce to Roy's position. There are other networks I can build with those parts. This is not a seismic shift in my thinking, just an acknowledgment that if I'm going to build a Klipsch network, I should build a "Klipsch" network. This also fills a gap -- it services those who don't want the mods, and who also need someone to do the work for them. 

It's amazing what you can get out of Roy if you know the secret code. The problem with the secret code is that it's "secret". Quite the inconvenience. You also need the decoder ring. I don't have that yet.

You can use the old SWAG method while waiting for the decoder ring!

1 hour ago, 001 said:

obviously i dont know the secret code nor do i have a decoder ring...  its clear that a simple question asking for a very basic explanation on some of the comments made about changing caps, even to the same type, are ignored.  apparently its off limits to ask klipsch to explain these things... i guess we will just never get it.  :unsure:

Transfer function with the same parasitics as the original caps from 40 years ago be my SWAG.

14 hours ago, the real Duke Spinner said:

I had the same experience with K Horns not having enough bass in my room.  I bought a Yamaha active x-over on your recommendation and the speakers changed right away with tons of bass once the balance was sorted out in my room. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Crankysoldermeister said:

"someone will have to pay me to read all of that"...  kidding, but thanks for the pdf file on how crossovers work in general.  i read it all but didnt see anything regarding what the different voltage curve from a sonicap will do to the sound or function of a speaker vs stock caps that i have asked about... or how changing 2 mid/tweet caps will hurt or change the bass.  unfortunately for myself & most others on here, we are not electrical engineers, most of that info is above our understanding or unrelated to what i have asked for a more simple explanation that the average person can understand or equate to what they will actually hear.  

im not trying to be difficult asking this & it really shouldnt be so difficult to answer, even in layman's terms.  its kind of like if a person that doesnt understand internal combustion engines or cars in general asking why a certain camshaft will increase horsepower over another one, or why adding less restrictive exhaust increases power... or even something simple like why they need to change worn out shocks or ball joints to keep the tires from wearing unevenly etc etc.  its usually pretty easy to explain things to others that dont fully understand a certain subject in terms they can grasp.   but the childish minion videos are a huge help. :rolleyes:     

• Klipsch Employees
4 hours ago, 001 said:

I have answered the question. But one more…..ask me the question and I will try again. 

1 hour ago, 001 said:

a more simple explanation that the average person can understand or equate to what they will actually hear.  

Think of it this very simple way. 

Each speaker has an output at a certain input of power.  So let's say that at 1 watt the drivers each have the following output:

Woofer 97 db

Mid-range 108 db

Tweeter 104 db

So with the above, you need to 'turn the volume down' on the midrange and tweeter to match the woofer. 

Changing the caps with less resistive caps 'lets more sound through' so the highs are louder, making the woofer 'turned down' by comparison at any given power input.

• Like 1