Maybe You Have A Juicy Question?

Mark,

Great to see you posting again, I always was grateful to have your knowledge available and input here. 

On the diet issue, I cannot agree. 

'Food should be as boring as filling your gas tank.' 

My wife and I both love to cook and eat an ultra-healthy diet that is delicious.  Just need to learn how to use spices and some cooking techniques.  My mother stayed with us after having a stroke and was amazed that she felt like she was eating a lot (not really) and loved our cooking AND was losing weight.  We even got her obese dog nice and trim.

On the fasting, I am currently reading 'Lifespan' by David Sinclair.  He is a top researcher and yes, fasting does put the body into certain beneficial modes.  I am naturally doing 14 hours (handful of dry roasted Pistachios after dinner really satiates you) and can bump to 16 or so with a little modification. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

Mark,

Great to see you posting again, I always was grateful to have your knowledge available and input here. 

On the diet issue, I cannot agree. 

'Food should be as boring as filling your gas tank.' 

My wife and I both love to cook and eat an ultra-healthy diet that is delicious.  Just need to learn how to use spices and some cooking techniques.  My mother stayed with us after having a stroke and was amazed that she felt like she was eating a lot (not really) and loved our cooking AND was losing weight.  We even got her obese dog nice and trim.

On the fasting, I am currently reading 'Lifespan' by David Sinclair.  He is a top researcher and yes, fasting does put the body into certain beneficial modes.  I am naturally doing 14 hours (handful of dry roasted Pistachios after dinner really satiates you) and can bump to 16 or so with a little modification. 

Hi TWK--

Definitely LTNS! Thanks for the WB!

I'm always in awe of people who can cook well AND stay healthy. Sadly, I know too many good cooks that become afflicted with burdensome weight and other problems, that I chalk up to "too much of a good thing."

Yes, absolutely true that it is possible and desireable to cook and maintain great nutrition! That's a skill I don't have. I can do one, or the other, not both.

I began "eating boring" quite a few years back, and I am now quite adapted to it. My wife is the opposite - she wants to eat something new and different at every meal. It's not helping her.

I stay with the highest possible quality of the fewest possible foods. I go 18 hours daily from previous dinner to next day's break fast. I would go 24-hours, but it makes my wife nervous for reasons of her lack of appreciating the benefits, which I find pretty important. At my 4 PM "feeding" (LOL), I try to eat most fat. Fat doesn't spike blood sugar, and keeps any feelings of hunger at bay for, well, 18-hours or so.

Nice to see you are doing well! I haven't seen yet many of the "old faces".

Stay healthy!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, babadono said:

Sounds like you have "metabolic flexibility" Sadly too many people in out culture/society do not. I am trying to regain mine.

Not assuming anything here----Do you mean you can't run on fat, only carbs?

It's become a global problem. Many nutritionalists refer to heart disease, diabetes, and cancer as "the Diseases of Civilization." The switch from natural food stuffs to chemically processed food stuffs is most likely to blame. About 80% of the typical diet is now processed food. And, with the gargantuan error in 1980 of the USDA recommending polyunsaturated fats, based on the quackery of Ancel Keys, in place of natural saturated fats (the ones mankind thrived on for a million years), the population is in deep stew.

Keep working at it!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RealMarkDeneen said:

Hi TWK--

Definitely LTNS! Thanks for the WB!

I'm always in awe of people who can cook well AND stay healthy. Sadly, I know too many good cooks that become afflicted with burdensome weight and other problems, that I chalk up to "too much of a good thing."

Yes, absolutely true that it is possible and desireable to cook and maintain great nutrition! That's a skill I don't have. I can do one, or the other, not both.

I began "eating boring" quite a few years back, and I am now quite adapted to it. My wife is the opposite - she wants to eat something new and different at every meal. It's not helping her.

I stay with the highest possible quality of the fewest possible foods. I go 18 hours daily from previous dinner to next day's break fast. I would go 24-hours, but it makes my wife nervous for reasons of her lack of appreciating the benefits, which I find pretty important. At my 4 PM "feeding" (LOL), I try to eat most fat. Fat doesn't spike blood sugar, and keeps any feelings of hunger at bay for, well, 18-hours or so.

Nice to see you are doing well! I haven't seen yet many of the "old faces".

Stay healthy!

I keep telling my wife that we need to start a youtube channel. 

Today we had coffee and a bannana with real peanut butter (no emulsifiers - the stuff you need to stir).  We have this every day for breakfast. 

She is making green beans with brown rice for lunch.  She cooks the veggies in a cast iron skillet with garlic, onions, organic soy and a bunch of spices.  She also has fried tofu in olive oil (it is sooo  good!) and is making Tofu Sea sig.  She also makes it with meat, but uses minimal amounts.  Really tasty lunch.

I like a salad at dinner, but with good ingredients, spices and olive oil and Chinese black vinegar.  Then maybe some fruit and some pistachios because they set in your stomach and hold you over.  Heavy protein makes you eat less. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, RealMarkDeneen said:

Not assuming anything here----Do you mean you can't run on fat, only carbs?

Yes ability to switch between glucose and fatty acids/ketones in your mitochondria. People nowadays are always eating, always have glucose in their blood. And always producing insulin...well at least until they get diabetes.

19 minutes ago, babadono said:

Yes ability to switch between glucose and fatty acids/ketones in your mitochondria. People nowadays are always eating, always have glucose in their blood. And always producing insulin...well at least until they get diabetes.

Bingo! That *&%#@ scientifically fraudulent 1980 "Dietary Guidelines for Americans" put out by the USDA, has resulted in people eating mostly sugary carbs 5 or 6 times a day, and their blood sugar looks like a roller coaster. Every down swing finds them needing to eat again.....and again.  The results are in.....that plan is NOT working.

I'm off to the lounge...

• Like 2