Nakamichi Dragon Turntable

tigerwoodKhorns

6 minutes ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

Anyone every heard of the Nakamichi Dragon CT Turntable?   Seems interesting  but overpriced.

https://lasvegas.craigslist.org/ele/d/henderson-nakamichi-dragon-ct-turntable/7524033801.html

WoW ..nice solid tt , got analogue vinyl experience for more than 45 years already but haven´t seen this one once in my lifetime. Thanx posting this .

• Like 3

I know the cassette players are worth thousands, from the listing:

Nakamichi Dragon CT Turntable. Rare and Collectible $8499.00, Working Perfectly, And Including Some Extra Replacement Parts

The Dragon CT turntable it's one of the rarest tables ever made my large manufacturer. It was the top-of-the-line turntable at the time and possessed features that had never been done before making it into a mythical piece.
The auto centering function is a wonder to look at in operation. The construction of the table is
top-notch and in line with the other Dragon products from Nakamichi. If you are not familiar with the auto centering feature here is a short description. Nakamichi rightfully believed that many records did not have the center hole purely centered on the disc and effected the sound quality. When you initiate the auto centering feature, the rear arm automatically comes out and finds the last groove on the record. It then measures the offset from center and stops the platter at a specific place. A small actuator comes out from the side and pushes the floating platter to a predetermined dimension, thus centering the record on the spindle. If needed it will do this several times until the absolute center is located and adjusted. In order to achieve this the platter sit on a smooth piece of glass which can move off center for what seems to be at least 1/4 inch.

Finding a dragon CT is a rare thing but finding a dragon CT and in perfect working condition is even more rare. This unit works like it should and will be a wonderful addition to someones collection. The platter spins precisely and locks down to the correct speed, the CT100 arm also tracks properly and lifts and lowers properly. The strobe light works and is very bright and visible. There are easy adjustments for both anti-skate and tracking force.

Cosmetically the unit is in wonderful condition, and most of the imperfections you see in the pictures are likely to be dust and glare. There is an almost imperceptible tiny nick in the wood on the left lower side of unit.

Replacement parts include Turntable Mat, Disc Stabilizer, and Arm Pipe

Unit is located at private residence in Henderson, Nevada near Las Vegas.

00b0b_fiJ5lPebfCxz_07K0ak_1200x900.jpg

00303_eD2KZZKP3fwz_07K0ak_1200x900.jpg

15 hours ago, Schu said:

There are a lot of options available at that 8500$ price point

For $8500 an older TT with no parts availability is scary, especially a 'high tech' 80s unit and not a more simple mechanical devise with a motor, isolation suspension and belt (meaning easy to fix). 

If it is heavily appreciating then maybe I guess. 

Nakamichi made excellent gear, could still kick myself for selling that SR40 STASIS integrated amp i had in the 90s. It wasn't a hundred watter for my Heresy, but it was a 40 watter that pushed way above thanks to it's designer Nelson Pass. It went to 4:00 on the vol knob without clipping at all !

nakamichi-SR40-1.jpg

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, billybob said:

The review spoke to Micro Seiki having a hand or fingerprint on the 1000...:rolleyes:

For many large HiFi manufacturers without their own turntable production, they therefore also offered entire OEM lines made by Micro Seiki. For Luxman, they have traditionally designed and manufactured all models. Mostly, however, they limited themselves to the supply of the entry-level models at renowned HiFi companies, such as ADC, Denon, Sharp, Toshiba, Hitachi, Sanyo, Sansui, Kenwood, Telefunken, Saba or Scott. They also supplied the mail order companies Quelle, Neckermann here and RadioShack in America. Between 1976 and 1983, the beginning of the CD era, was the heyday of these OEM models. Coinciding of course with the heyday of the vinyl record. There have never been more and better devices than in these years.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1