Repair of stained Forte III in natural cherry

jcn3

I've found a pair of Forte IIIs in natural cherry for sale.  The problem is that the finish is damaged from water or cleaning chemicals.  Picture is attached.

How were the Forte III in natural cherry finished?  How is best to go about restoring them?

Thanks!

spacer.png

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, billybob said:

Don't know but if the white stuff is on the surface or not would spray or wipe with vinegar to remove. Guess cleaning then we can see more.

@jcn3

haven't seen the speakers yet, so not exactly sure of the situation.

the question is whether i can simply use watco and some steel wool to fix the problem or if it requires more significant effort (i.e. sand and/or strip).

asking price is $1500 which doesn't seem too bad if the refinishing effort is on the smaller side.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Shakeydeal said:

1500.00 is attractive enough to roll the dice IMHO.....

If only Klipsch offered a MK IV upgrade like they did with the Heresy II's seems there's a few pairs of F-III's for sale at reasonable prices. With the H-III's they sent basically the whole speaker minus the cabinet, with the F-IV they'd only need to send a tweeter phase-plug, mid driver and crossover-- not sure why they wouldn't do this, especially for those who bought them new. 

23 hours ago, jcn3 said:

the question is whether i can simply use watco and some steel wool to fix the problem or if it requires more significant effort (i.e. sand and/or strip).

TRADE SECRET  works 

scratch remover    https://www.tradesecret.ca/?page_id=160

white ring remover   https://www.tradesecret.ca/?page_id=789

4 minutes ago, OO1 said:

TRADE SECRET  works 

scratch remover    https://www.tradesecret.ca/?page_id=160

white ring remover   https://www.tradesecret.ca/?page_id=789

do you have any insight on the type of finish on "natural cherry"?  if chief bonehead is correct and it's laquer, then a full refinish will probably be necessary.

I had to touch up the lacquer finish on one of the RSW-15s in cherry that I acquired used. I used a rattle can spray lacquer. It was tedious but I succeeded. The other 2 I have since acquired only needed touch up with Pure Tung Oil and 0000 steel wool. It looks to me that lacquer finish on those Fortes got wet and stayed that way for a while. Water will lift and bubble lacquer like that. It will need re lacquering IME. You could try Tung Oil first and see if it is sufficient enough for your inner "how my speaker should look" self.

23 hours ago, jcn3 said:

it's laquer, then a full refinish  

it's  lacquer    @MMurg  refinished an older Belle with Trade Secret ,,I am not sure if it was lacquer , but I think lacquer is pretty much standard with klipsch    

PXL_20220731_222122178 (Large).jpg

3 hours ago, OO1 said:

it's  lacquer    @MMurg  refinished an older Belle with Trade Secret ,,I am not sure if it was lacquer , but I think lacquer is pretty much standard with klipsch    

Yes, the Belle upon which I used the Trade Secret Scratch Remover (the one for light wood) was a lacquer finish.  I was very pleased with the results.  Just be aware that it will slightly darken and slightly yellow the finish.  Since the lacquer on my walnut Belle was already quite yellowed from age, it wasn't an issue for me.  Using it sure beat refinishing the speaker.  Maybe test a small patch on the veneer on the bottom under the riser to see if you like the results.  You can see a before and after picture of the top panel here:

Just to follow up -- I went and saw the Forte IIIs last night.  Certainly sounded nice.  However, the sides of both speakers were seriously stained/damaged.  Definitiely would need some serious work.  I decided to pass -- not into that level of refinishing.

The person also had some oiled walnut Chorus 1s in excellent condition.  So those came home with me!  Trying to figure out the best positioning in my 10'x15' room.  One thing that is clear is that you need to sit far enough away from the speakers to have everything come together!

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, jcn3 said:

The person also had some oiled walnut Chorus 1s in excellent condition.  So those came home with me!  Trying to figure out the best positioning in my 10'x15' room.  One thing that is clear is that you need to sit far enough away from the speakers to have everything come together!

Nice, Chorus are great speakers.  Use your Parasound JC-5 with them.  Oiled Walnut is beautiful.  Very desirable finish.