Son in ICU

Deang

Dean,

Just got home from work to read of you sons accident-my heart goes out to You and yours.

There is nothing more important than Family and often we overlook that, but sometimes it takes incidents like this to see whats really important.

Heres to a speedy recover.

Jeff

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am praying for you. I know how that is, I lost 8 friends in one year to car wrecks. They were are idiots and drank and drove. Never-the-less it hurt for a long time. "Luckily" your son made it through the wreck. My parents were in a near fatal car accident a year and 3 months ago, broke the car in half. All they have to show for it is a new BMW.

BTW, what is a Chevette? I have heard of a Chevelle and a Corvette.. not a hybrid is it? 1.gif

Poking his stomach - probably not a good idea.

I know what it is like to be in the hospital, lucky for me my trips have no injury involved, needless to say I know how aggitated I got, even yelling at a nurse in a fit of valium and tegretol with a swig of some very coppery tasting liquid.

Good luck, my prayers are out for you and your family.

Wow. Your son is 17, I am 18, I did not realize how close we were in age, your son and I. Makes me feel even more so like a friend is in need...

Justin: a chevette is a compact, real small car not much in the crash dept.

DEAN: glad to hear things are going to be alright.

I flew though life with my hair on fire when i was young man, totaly invincible i was, fast cars, fast bikes ,fast ski-doo's, fast woman and even faster drugs. As a parent now (2 kids) i realize the hell i must have put my folks through. I'm not real proud of it but i've broke almost every bone you can and still be able to stand upright.

Take one look at this picture and you'll wonder how i'm still here. I t-boned a bus on the hiway at 50 mph , flew right through the windshield and broke my neck when my head hit the bus ( fracture on c-4 c-5 ) not to mention all the rest of the broken bones. You know the worse part of all this? this is buy no way the worst accident i've been in.

Dean, the point i'm making is, no one made any effort to tell me they cared or were glad i was'nt dead. Fact is my mom told me if i ever did anything that stupid again she was going to kick me out of the house !!!! now what kind of crap is that ??? I kept on my wild and crazy days and was lucky enough to survive. Now that i'm married (10 years) and have kids (6and 4 ) i overprotect my family and feel even the simple pain of mean grade one teasing .

I hug and tell my kids i love them everyday, I just hope they still feel that way when there teenagers , and that the lines of comunication are never broken. The sad part is , it always takes a tragity to make us stop and think this way and sometimes it's to late.

BTW: I have no idea who that dude is standing by my truck, the tow truck guy took this picture for me.

post-10527-13819246149488_thumb.jpg

Dale, I know what you mean. I'm always hoping my kids didn't pick up my 'derelict' genes.

I have no idea how you walked away from that one. Uh...someone looking out for you maybe?

Justin, Austin would love that pic. I'm going to print it and tell him someone got a snapshot of their car wreck.9.gif

Thanks Shoe.

Hey Dean,

Read the post(s) about your son, thankful that he's stable and recovering.Please know that my very best thoughts are with you and your family.My best friend lost his spleen 38 years ago(car wreck),and he's still going strong with no supplemental meds or problems.Hope the same for your son,with a speedy recovery.

Best,

Pat

Years ago, my buddy Johnny had quite a few Chevettes.

We used to call them "Gophers".

The kinda look like a gopher from the front end.

Ol' Johnny was in a T-bone accident years ago in a open intersection with a Volkswagon beetle.

John was in the back and was pretty much unharmed, he just put the side windows out with his elbows.

Mike the driver, was hit from his side, went through the passenger side with the passenger Chris.

They both went out the passenger side door, Mike rode on top of Chris grinding most of the side of Chris's face and ear off.

Then mike bashed his head on a curb and broke his neck.

Didn't even realize he broke his neck until a couple of days later, Chris took the brunt of it, he was hurtin' for about 6 months.

It was probably a good thing they were not wearing seat belts as well.

Nasty wreck.

We told that as*hole not to drive that night.

Dean,

I don't know why I didn't read this thread sooner, and when I finally did, my heart sank down to my feet! I am so sorry to hear what happened to Austin and his friends. I'm glad that everyone's alive, and I hope and pray that your son makes a speedy recovery soon.

It reminds me of my dad's accident in Sept. '78...he was riding his Harley-Davidson FLH1200 down a quiet, wooded country road near Essex, CT, when at a "T" intersection, a drunk behind the wheel of a Jeep sitting at the stop sign, claimed later that he never saw my dad's headlights on. He proceeded to pull out right in front of my dad's motorcycle, clipping the front tire and forks, which took an immediate nose-dive, and throwing my dad like a rag doll over his bike, the hood of the Jeep, and onto the other lane (thank God there was no oncoming traffic)! My dad landed on his head first (his Bell helmet looked like a popcorn kernel afterwards), proceeded to break his fall with his left arm (his forearm cracked in half), and as his body hit the pavement, his left leg broke in 3 places (and all open fractures, with muscle and bone ripping through his Levi geans and high-top leather riding boots)!

Luckily, an off-duty nurse was driving behind my dad when the accident occured; she stopped, looked over my dad, got the drunk's license plate number, and drove down the road to the nearest house to call for help. Within minutes, local police and an ambulance was there to scrape my dad off the road and rush him to the nearest hospital 5 miles away, and take the drunk into custody!

My dad received a steel plate in his forearm, and 3 steel pins through his left leg to hold together what was left of it! Because of so much bone loss and muscle/nerve damage, his leg got infected and was almost amputated! He pulled through, but after 3 operations, his leg was shortened 3", but was saved! He spent 3 months in the hospital/physical therapy, and 5 months at home recooperating in a rented hospital bed (in our game room) with a leg brace to keep his leg elevated.

Today, he services/tunes/maintains pipe organs in churches throughout New England, NY, and PA. He walks with a major limp, his leg continues to swell up if on it for too long, and has to wear a 3" elevated shoe. He's more active now then he was 30 years ago, and still going strong!

I don't know about your son's loss of his spleen and how that will ultimately affect him the rest of his life, but with a father like yourself who'll push him to continue his therapy, he'll be back to his normal self in no time! Keep the faith and pray for a speedy recovery, and let Austin know that you, your wife and kids, and all his family and friends (and Klipsch Forum members) are with you and yours in this difficult time!

God be with you!

Jim Tidwell

Dean,

I just read about Austin's accident tonight. Sounds like the big guy up there must have been looking out for him. My daughter was in an accident around Thanksgiving week. Early in the morning, about 2 miles from home on her way to work. She was basically unhurt, but I still can picture her being put in the ambulance. I know a little what you must be going through. Sounds like Austin is going to make out fine. I wish him a speedy recovery. My prayers are with you folks.

BTW - I haven't seen Signs yet, but it's on my Netflix list.

Dean,

Reading jt1stcav's story and concerns brought back the memories of Jimmy, our adopted son, who was riding a motorcyle that belonged to a friend... the throttle stuck... and he went headlong into a parked car, splitting his helmet, when trying to negotiate a turn that centrifical force would not allow. His promissing life was snuffed out at 21 years of age... at least Austin may have the opportunity of making a great life for himself and those whose lives he touches.

The big thing that we the living have (that those who have gone before us do not) is opportunity! If ever there was a reason for us to not squander the opportunity of life, it is upon the reflection of a life cut short... or a life that almost was. May Austin make the most of his future opportunities whatever the level of health with which he has to work. And, further, is not a focal poiunt of your faith the realization of making the Godly best of your opportunity here on earth?

Reflecting upon all the eloquently phrased, and largely deserved, grumbles in previous deang and HornEd posts, Austin's harrowing experience has renewed the acuity of my perspective on future posts. A life worth living is reflected in what we do with our opportunities. Austin is indeed fortunate for the depth his father has... a depth only exceeded by the love he has for his son in this time of crises. Be well, my friend, and be thankful you can be the father that your son needs at this moment. =HornEd

Ed,

Very sorry to hear about your loss with Jimmy. I'm 49, have a son born 5 years ago. He is my only child, means more to me than just about anything. I have trouble not being over-protective, I'm so afraid something might happen to him. I can't even imagine the pain of losing a child. It's unfathomable to me how people deal with this.

Tom

HORNED: Once again the grace at which you convey your thoughts into words is touching to say the least.

I am saddend to hear of your loss , as any parent would be.

It's amazing how forum members will expose passed painfull events in light of recent events, The honesty and caring makes this a even better place to visit.

SIGNED : Dale Walker