Son in ICU

Deang

Sorry to hear of this terrible news, Dean. It does put immediate perspective on priorities and relevance. Suddenly, silver vs copper binding posts seems about as meaningless as it really is. Although I don't have any children (that I know of), the obvious feelings you must be going through register deeply. Keep your good sense of humor and a healthy dose of the sense of absurdity in life.

And to think I was weeping last night when the sound went off during an ACC basketball game...

- kelly

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From Gibran -

Your joy is your sorrow unmasked.

And the selfsame well from which your laughter rises

was oftentimes filled with your tears.

And how else can it be?

The deeper that sorrow carves into your being,

the more joy you can contain.

Is not the cup that holds your wine

the very cup that was burned in the potter's oven?

And is not the lute that soothes your spirit,

the very wood that was hollowed with knives?

When you are joyous, look deep into your heart

and you shall find it is only that which has

given you sorrow that is giving you joy.

When you are sorrowful look again in your heart,

and you shall see that in truth you are weeping

for that which has been your delight.

Some of you say, "Joy is greater than sorrow,"

and others say, "Nay, sorrow is the greater."

But I say unto you, they are inseparable.

Thinking of you and yours.

Carol

Dean,

We are all praying for the speedy recovery of your son and all involved in this terrible accident. Those of us with children especially feel your pain. I know it sent a chill down my spine.

All the best,

Chris

PS I crap in my pants every time I think of my 18-year-old daughter being in a car while she's away at college

Well, I've got to be about the last person to read your horrible news; I am, however, heartened by the outpouring of support from your cyber-pals herewith.

I know from the few emails we've traded that your family and God are the two major forces in your life. With six other children and your wife, you will all be a huge force and incentive for him to hang in there and get better. Our collective prayers will hopefully offer you, your wife and your family some support as you support your son.

I, for one, hope to God that I never get a phone call like the one you probably got ... Knowing that your child has been critically injured is just about the most devastating thing that a human being can feel.

My heart goes out to you.

Dean,

I hope the best for your son in that he has a very swift recovery. I know what you must be going through right now and I am sure my father does. I had an accident similar to your son's 9/23/01 and I too was told that had I been wearing my seat belt I would have died. The tree that slammed in to the passenger side of the truck shot me across the vehicle and I ended up using the driver as a cushion. They still had to cut me out of the car and I ended up with mulitple fractures in both the humerous and ulna of my right arm. If your son has a catheter in him right now I REALLY know how he has to be feeling...not pleasant.

I am really happy for you and your family that the injuries were kept to a minimum. If he ends up having to do any physical therapy at all make sure he knows to give it all he has. Slacking on that can really cause problems down the line. Take care of yourself.

Ryan

Hey Dean -

I too will add my hopes of a speedy recovery for your son. There's not much more I can say than what's already been said, but it's things like this that make my relationship with my Dad even more special. I mean, in the blink of an eye, we can be gone. As I've grown older, I've gained a better understanding of the love my Dad has for me. Words cannot begin to describe that bond and I'm thankful that you two still have each other.

I'm also taken aback at you finding time in your moments of near tragedy to send a message to some internet forum/board to let us know about your son's accident and condition. Your message to this sometimes impersonal board implies a trust & bond you feel towards us. I respect that. And I respect you. I feel priviledged that you'd think that much of me (us?) to tell us something like this.

God bless your son, you, and your family.

Tom Adams

The big 'P' is settling in, and a nice fever to go along with it. Austin isn't cooperating with the nurses. He refuses to do his deep breathing exercises and increase his activity. He hurts and feels weak, and I can certainly relate to not wanting to move around, however -- the alternative doesn't seem very appealing.

I may have to start poking him in the stomach to get him agitated enough to move around and breathe. Maybe before the night's over I'll have him pissed off enough to chase me around the room.

Carol -- cool words.