Son in ICU

Deang

Not the new one, but my oldest.

Austin, my 17 year old, was in a near fatal car accident last night. He had a ruptured spleen and massive internal bleeding. They couldn't save the spleen and had to remove it. Surgery went well, but he's in loads of pain. Moriphine is keeping him from screaming. They upgraded his condition to 'stable' this morning. Shortly thereafter, his Hemoglobin took a dive. They started transfusing about an hour ago.

Looks like he'll live, but no spleen means potential problems down the road with viral infections.

Basically, just 3 friends driving to the other side of town after playing video games. Austin was in the back seat, and his friend Jason was driving. There was another friend in the passenger seat. They came to the corner of Sheldon and U.S. 42. There was a semi pulled off to the side, obstructing Jason's vision. He nosed the car out past the stop sign so he could see around the truck. He didn't see anything, so he pulled out. The Chevette was broadsided by a Ford LTD.

No one was wearing seatbelts. However, after seeing the car, if either of them had been wearing them -- they would both be dead. The Chevette now has a very distintive 'V' shape. The seat belts would have prevented Jason and Austin from being propelled away from the impact point -- which pushed the drivers side door almost to the passenge seat. Jason was slammed against the interior of the passenger door and ended up in his buddy's lap. He ended up with multiple fractures in the hips and pelvis. Austin went in the same direction, and ended up sandwiched and pinned between the passenger side quarter panel and front passenger seat. The third friend (can't remember his name), unbelievably -- is fine.

Now, what was I saying about cables?

Yeesh.8.gif

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dean, this is a time for men of faith to rise to the task... for you to show the courage of your convictions as posted on this Forum. Certainly, all of your many friends and a few enemies join in our concern for your son and, indeed, your whole family and his companions in the car. For all the wonder of our beloved Klipsch gear... it is moments like this that brings life more in perspective. Please keep us posted. -HornEd

Dean,

Sorry to hear about your son's plight...know that my prayers are with you and yours...and remember that the spleen can be removed, and without it, it can lead to problems with the immune system later on...but as long as the lymph nodes in the rest of the body remain functioning...there is still gonna be a good immune system in your son!! Take heart, and please keep us posted! God Bless!

Dean

Frightening news indeed. Our daughter was badly hurt in a car accident many years ago. Fortunately she made a full recovery but we all went through some bad moments along the way. I think I have some sense of how you must be feeling at this point.

Hang in there !

DEAN: I know there is no more helpless feeling as putting your heart on the line having kids, you always wish you could trade places and replace there pain but you can't and the helpless feeling is part of parenthood. I'm sure your a great dad and your boy needs you in whatever way you use to let him know he's going to be ok. Second chances like this don't come around often, Thank god he's still with you and let him know that.

You are the piller of strength for your family and now's your time to shine.

Best wishs for a speedy and full recovery for your son.

DALE

Dean,

I feel real sorrow for you buddy ! Its things like this that make me worry everytime my 15 yr old daughter leaves the house with a young driver. Not saying that the driver was to blame but these youngsters do get distracted and think they are indestructable. A automobile is surely a dangerous thing. I sure hope this works out for you and your Son !! Keep us updated and I'll rush to finish your amp you will most likely need the distraction of a new toy to ease your pain.

Craig

Dean,

I'm so sorry to hear about your son and his friend! Let us know if there is any way we can help. I have a 14-year old daughter who's itching to drive. Reading your story sent a chill down my spine. Everyone: Hug and kiss, hold close your family members today. Remember just how precious they are. And remind them that the vast majority of times, seatbelts do what they're supposed to do: save lives!

Best of wishes, Dean!!

fini