What Mac are you running with Heritage/CWs ?

roninklipsch

Among others....  I've had:

A pristine pair of MC-30's

MC-2102

Sounded great and all that jazz....  I finally decided that I'm not fussy enough to worry about the fractional difference in sound....verses the substantial difference in price.  I finally sold them, bought a pair of Crown K2's and put the cash in my pocket.

I'm more than 100% cash ahead....  and maybe 95% of the sound.  I'm totally happy with that swap.  Ultimately, for me, I felt the change in speakers far outweighed any difference in sound the amps might have provided.

DSCN2610.thumb.JPG.26fc03515dfb251b2444e1aa220f943b.JPG

DSCN2601.thumb.JPG.1febd1572469f212fbe7e1d50d71c716.JPG

3.thumb.JPG.b91a1c807c4e97200962cc67f9cbe767.JPG

• Like 5

I don't think anyone would argue that at all.  They might have a favorite model...  but in the end, McIntosh does seem to mix well with Heritage.

Keeping with my opinion....  "so do others"

As cool as the blue lights & other bells/whistles might be....  there might be other less expensive options that service someone well.  It IS however, a pretty easy no-brainer to presume the McIntosh will work/sound perfectly fine.

Frankly, I always wanted to try a pair of (if I recall) MC-352's so I could biamp.  I've read nothing but glowing comments about those (presuming I've got the correct number)

• Like 1

I ran MC2505 and MC2100 with Heresys and Cornwalls.   One of my favorite sounds and hard to beat for SS.  I only sold them to fund my projects.  I opt for either Parasound or Crown, preferably Parasound as they are class A/AB and are close to the McIntosh sound.  If funds are ever available, I'd like to try the MC7106 on my bi amped system.  I currently run a Hypex Fushion on that system, but am working to get back to Parasound as I currently have an HCA-750A, but just purchased an HCA-1000a.  

Mcintosh and Klipsch are two iconic brands that pair well together.  If I had money, I'd love to run some of the MC with the new Jubilees, but that might just be a pipe dream.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, The Dude said:

Mcintosh and Klipsch are two iconic brands that pair well together.  If I had money, I'd love to run some of the MC with the new Jubilees, but that might just be a pipe dream.

Man- a MC901 would be perfect for my Cws.   At one time I had an amp that expensive, but not now.

Never had a crown but had the HINT.  It was a darn nice unit.  The JC stuff is awesome.  I got a really good SS amp but I am sure Mac has a different signature as I did have 301s and a 402 I think it was as well. Long time ago so no idea what it would sound like on a CW.

mc901-angle-background.jpg

• Like 1

Currently MC225 with ‘77 CW’s and MC240 with ‘77 LS’s. Have also used MC30’s, MC2105 and MC2120. They all sound great with both speakers. Just need to be certain the older stuff has been fully and properly restored by a reputable tech within the last few years.

The current "center of attention" is the MC255 which is powering the five Cornwalls in my newly refashioned Cornwall Theater. It's very neutral/true of temperature/lacking in coloration, the newest iterations demonstrating how "beyond the good looks" exists in the actual performance capabilities of these amplifiers. Even in its direct coupled build (as opposed to the preferable autoformered) a very impressive device whose finer qualities show and grow on you over time......very refined. The transformer and filter cap casings resemble auto batteries 🙂

I've also run MC250s and MC30s on two channel rigs (MC30s - best midrange evah, my MC250s also pretty good although I think would benefit from rebuild).

In my mind Mc pretty much is "The Amp Company" and very much so for Heritage speakers, and while you might find amps you like better sonically, there's an aspect to the fact that if you get a properly operating Mc amp for your Heritage you will get very good results. They can be beat but it's a helluvalotta work and listening, and they RRALLY like being mated with their preamps of similar vintage - for the person who wants "really really good" without getting TOO "in the weeds" swapping gears, one can get a Mac amp and pre to satisfy the desired feature set of the system, and it will be one of those "top percentile" systems that easily can take exorbitant sums and efforts to beat.

• Like 2

Thanks.  Mac is a real choice here.  Tubes or no tubes, mono or stereo. 275 would be nice I think.  Couple other mfgs out there but Mac is Mac and I would need quite a few comparisons and some $$ to hunt down anything "better".   Folks like Primaluna but that is a whole different (Chinese) path.  And of course what seems to be the God of tube amps-Decware.  I'm sure they are great too (with Heritage).

MAC 7200

I wanted to buy 1 simple piece and be finished. 200 wpc with the autoformers is all I’ll ever need (the Autoformers were worth it to me from the McIntosh “signature sound” perspective, but something quad-balanced was over my budget). And the DAC is modular to upgrade with the times. The DA2 is actually tempting with its HDMI ARC, but I think first I would go from my current MM cartridge (no complaints its great) to a slightly nicer MC cartridge before upgrading the DAC. Currently running the DA1 and MoFi MasterTracker cart and just can’t justify the upgrade, they sound nice. 

1728B6A5-98CD-44BA-A361-C449D773790C.jpeg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/25/2023 at 12:50 PM, Coytee said:

Among others....  I've had:

A pristine pair of MC-30's

MC-2102

Sounded great and all that jazz....  I finally decided that I'm not fussy enough to worry about the fractional difference in sound....verses the substantial difference in price.  I finally sold them, bought a pair of Crown K2's and put the cash in my pocket.

I'm more than 100% cash ahead....  and maybe 95% of the sound.  I'm totally happy with that swap.  Ultimately, for me, I felt the change in speakers far outweighed any difference in sound the amps might have provided.

DSCN2610.thumb.JPG.26fc03515dfb251b2444e1aa220f943b.JPG

DSCN2601.thumb.JPG.1febd1572469f212fbe7e1d50d71c716.JPG

3.thumb.JPG.b91a1c807c4e97200962cc67f9cbe767.JPG

That baby is screaming for you to " turn it down". 😀

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/25/2023 at 8:13 PM, The Dude said:

I ran MC2505 and MC2100 with Heresys and Cornwalls.   One of my favorite sounds and hard to beat for SS.  I only sold them to fund my projects.  I opt for either Parasound or Crown, preferably Parasound as they are class A/AB and are close to the McIntosh sound.  If funds are ever available, I'd like to try the MC7106 on my bi amped system.  I currently run a Hypex Fushion on that system, but am working to get back to Parasound as I currently have an HCA-750A, but just purchased an HCA-1000a.  

Like here they do it in Europe.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...