Wiring a Heresy I as a Center Channel on a 2-channel amp

The title says all of it, I think.  Wiring a Heresy I as a Center Channel on a 2-channel amp. 

I have a set of Forte 1's and the guy I bought them from threw in a Heresy I.  He said he used the Heresy as a center channel for home theater and I supposed he meant with a 2-channel amp.  This past weekend, we watched John Wick 3 as the first movie just using the Fortes.  The dialog was laid back.  It was just different than with music and I thought using a center channel would resolve the issue, but I didn't want to go the way of a AVR.  

Can someone tell me how to wire the Heresy I up to the amp without killing something expensive? 

Setup: 

Schiit Freya N Preamp

Anthem MCA 225 gen 2 amp

Forte I's

Heresy I

There’s a way to do it but I’m not familiar with how.  I know it was a common practice years ago.

You might be better off getting a receiver with pre-amp outputs that can decode multi channel sound.  Use your Anthem for your fortes and the receiver for your Heresy.

2 minutes ago, PrestonTom said:

The above two suggestions will not tackle the OP's question. If I understand things correctly, he wants to drive a center channel without getting an "extra" amplifier. 

And we’re saying that he can’t and giving options as to how he can.

• Like 1

On 4/8/2023 at 6:38 AM, Wilson Hines said:

The title says all of it, I think.  Wiring a Heresy I as a Center Channel on a 2-channel amp. 

you cant unless you have a  Stereo integrated amp or preamp with A & B  speaker  controls ,the A would power the pair of Forte    the B  would power 1 Heresy

Get a simple 5 channel receiver. Today's modern movies/TV sound excellent, that center channel is needed for the correct sound. If not, it will be like the TV sound coming through your speakers, those very nice speakers deserve the correct connection.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OO1 said:

but you  do get a mono speaker, which is better than nothing 

That doesn’t make any sense at all.

running a receiver with A/B speaker outs is not going to give you a correct center output for the heresy. 
And it’s not going to give you a separate mono output for a single speaker.

• Like 1

On 4/8/2023 at 6:38 AM, Wilson Hines said:

I have a set of Forte 1's and the guy I bought them from threw in a Heresy I.  He said he used the Heresy as a center channel for home theater and I supposed he meant with a 2-channel amp.  This past weekend, we watched John Wick 3 as the first movie just using the Fortes.  The dialog was laid back.  It was just different than with music and I thought using a center channel would resolve the issue, but I didn't want to go the way of a AVR.  

Can someone tell me how to wire the Heresy I up to the amp without killing something expensive? 

Setup: 

Schiit Freya N Preamp

Anthem MCA 225 gen 2 amp

Forte I's

Heresy I

Why would you supposed he meant that he used the Heresy as a center with a two channel amp?

Most home theater setups use receivers with dedicated outputs.

What was your source for audio feeding into the Freya?

I watch movies all the time with just a stereo pair of LaScala and don’t find the dialog too low.

But, I am using an old Yamaha AVR as the DAC with the surround and center outputs disabled.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, OO1 said:

sure it is ,  try it ..... A+B  , A are the Forte , B  is  Heresy 

On what amp/receiver?

A+B is just two pairs of speakers both outputting the same stereo signal.

this also wouldn’t give a separate volume control for the Heresy.

• Like 1

I don't think there is a simple solution where you wire the LR amplifier outputs together and have a good outcome where your amp doesn't go up in smoke.

The AVR was designed specifically for the application you want to use in your TV room

A very good used one can be had for $200.

Set it up for 3 channel, and use the direct mode and the built in DAC for the TV or video source decode. You can toggle the direct button in and out to see which way you like it.

When you run it in stereo mode, it will derive the center channel, somehow they filter for voice frequencies on the center.

You can also toggle to 2 ch stereo with direct mode.

My 2 cents

• Like 1

Just a point of clarification and I hope I don't get shouted down again.

You can use a 2 channel tube amplifier with a transformer on the output stage and power the center (the "third channel") and not require an additional amplifier. Look up the the posts by DJK on doing this with a McIntosh amplifier. Granted this is an oddball configuration that may not be what the OP can accomplish. Short of that, yes an additional channel of amplification  will be required and one of the boxes that PWK provided a schematic for. I used to have one and was satisfied with the results for music. Note, a way to adjust volume on the center is strongly recommended. 

-Tom

• Like 3