Speaker cable, patch cords

I don’t want to offend anyone by asking a stupid question but I see so much these days about speaker wire and cables. And prices for cables seem quite high compared to say patch cords and speaker cables we use in bands and home audio back in the day. But reviews I’ve read promote the benefits of these products enhancing sound reproduction. I’m 63, from an industrial and working band background. My hearing is battered. Is it reasonable to assume that re-cabling the system I’m now building will make an audible difference? Or do y’all think given my age and background it would be a waste of money?

• Like 1

I believe most "High End" cables are designed to solve a noise problem caused by outside electrical interference.  If you do not have a noise problem and or can not hear a noise problem then new cables will not make a difference. Most logical source of electrical interference could be a near by TV of even a PC (Mac or Windows) even an old refrigerator, fan, or other electrical device can be sources which can cause a noise. 

Cables of any kind that can help in these conditions would have to be shielded, generally aluminum foil as part of their design and make up. Shielded cables are generally more expensive than no shielded  cables. Another possible solution to this type of noise is braided cables, why I am not sure but it seems to work ????

If you are using very thin and old cables then you might get some benefit from Monoprice cables or Amazon basic cables.

Hope this helps and Good Luck & Keep enjoying the Music

• Like 1

Thank you JMeader. Basic rca cords from preamp to amp and heavy gauge copper wire from amp to speakers from Radio Shack probably 20+ years old. We’re enclosing our garage for a home studio/man cave which contractor claims he will start project in 3-4 weeks. So all I’ve bought so far is my amp, I’m doing my homework searching for new preamp which I have about a month to find. So when room is complete I’ll be ready to install. Also need to find are a cd/sacd player, blue ray/ dvd player. Any recommendations on choosing any of these would be appreciated. And I’ll be using copper speaker wire for sure. I just wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing out on anything. Sorry reply is so long. Thanx again JMeader. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JMeader said:

... Another possible solution to this type of noise is braided cables, why I am not sure but it seems to work ????

THIS LINK will explain why twisted wiring can help prevent interference.

Since the OP is building a room with audio and presumably running cables within a wall, he will need cable approved for in-wall use; typical speaker wire is unacceptable. The reason is more for fire prevention than noise reduction. One way to ensure the speaker wires, if run in the walls, do not pick up interference, is to make sure wherever the speaker wires cross any other electrical wiring, they should cross at right angles. Should be necessity the wiring need to run parallel to other electrical wiring, it should maintain a certain distance from other wiring. I can't remember the spec; it's either 2 or 6 ".

here is a link from the Crutchfield,  scroll down about half way  and it gets to new construction ideas

https://www.crutchfield.com/learn/learningcenter/home/inwall_wiring.html

here is a Monoprice link for bulk speaker wire for construction.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=44334

In new construction you will need to make the decision of loose wires coming out of the wall or will you have a box like this

https://www.monoprice.com/category/adapters,-switches,-&-splitters/wall-plates-&-keystones/audio-video-wall-plates-&-boxes

Also do not forget to think about your network, hard wired or wifi in your room, highly recommend you run a hardwired to the room as you will need internet access for any streaming solution you use. If hardwired then it needs to be where your stereo equipment is located, if wifi choose the best place for a wifi node in your room.

A small 8 port hub at you hardwired location will allow any device that needs internet access, Apple TV, Streamers, AVR's, home security cameras etc.Hardwired is better than wifi in all uses.

Also remember your power needs how many things that will need power. Try and avoid the typical power strips. I have always use 4 plex power plugs and use an electrician for at least design if not installation. things that need power, Amp,  Preamp, Apple TV, Network hub, AVR, home security equipment - always assume at least 2 more than planned

Good Luck - a lot of things to think about. Best to sit down and think about all the things you might want to have then you will need both power and  audio connections. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, the real Duke Spinner said:

Not aware if Your Local Codes but under ICBO and NFPA 54

NFPA 54 is for gas... electrical is NFPA 70.

Low voltage must meet CL2., which I'm guessing most will.