What alters sound more?

Idontknow

The chapel above was huge, with terrible acoustics, but the room underneath for rehearsals and practice was certainly large enough. Maybe 25x35. I probably have the floor plans on my PC and could look it up. However, they let me go for not being busy enough (now I work at a place with way more computers and only three of us to do the work).

No sour grapes, it's a different place than it was.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, the real Duke Spinner said:

My set up has not changed for years

...could I perhaps do better ??

Maybe, but to what end ??

Jolida tube CD + QuickSilver FF pre +Crown MacroTech + KH

Where's there to go ??

I worked on recording studios many years

Stuff is not mixed on equipment this good Esp if the target is hip hop in a automobile. ,🙄

To what end?  Better sound reproduction of course. But if you are blissfully ignorant,  no problem. Enjoy what you have. As for me, everything in the chain is important and I upgrade as necessary. It’s certainly more important to some than others so only you can decide if what you have is “good enough”.

• Like 1

I can see how the order of importance regarding factors that could alter the sound varies from case to case.

Interaction of speakers and room proved maybe the most important factor in my environment.

Smallish and almost square room is limiting factor for sure. I had several sets of speakers in it, and "better" speakers just could not reveal its potential in that room (I had them playing in other peoples houses and in the shops, they surely played better there).

So, it is a choice of playing music with better/bigger speakers and not hearing all they can do, and using a set of small studio monitors and placing them in a way to avoid the room boundaries (much cheaper option).  Both are not truly hy-fi.

1 hour ago, parlophone1 said:

I can see how the order of importance regarding factors that could alter the sound varies from case to case.

Interaction of speakers and room proved maybe the most important factor in my environment.

Smallish and almost square room is limiting factor for sure. I had several sets of speakers in it, and "better" speakers just could not reveal its potential in that room (I had them playing in other peoples houses and in the shops, they surely played better there).

So, it is a choice of playing music with better/bigger speakers and not hearing all they can do, and using a set of small studio monitors and placing them in a way to avoid the room boundaries (much cheaper option).  Both are not truly hy-fi.

I agree with your thoughts. I have small BBC LS3/5a studio monitors, the size of a lady's shoebox, in addition to large speakers. I like to listen to them in between every now and then. They have everything in sound and timing except for deep bass when played in smaller rooms. With large speakers, in rooms unfavorable for them, it's not only that you don't hear everything they would be capable of but that you hear unsightly booming, so a very annoying addition that doesn't happen with small monitors in the same small room.

21 hours ago, KT88 said:

With large speakers, in rooms unfavorable for them, it's not only that you don't hear everything they would be capable of but that you hear unsightly booming, so a very annoying addition that doesn't happen with small monitors in the same small room.

Exactly that. I managed to introduce some improvements by adding absorption acoustic foams in upper corners of the room, but that only cover frequencies to about 100-120 Hz. Lower than that I have problems.

On 9/5/2023 at 5:20 PM, Shakeydeal said:

To what end?  Better sound reproduction of course. But if you are blissfully ignorant,  no problem. Enjoy what you have. As for me, everything in the chain is important and I upgrade as necessary. It’s certainly more important to some than others so only you can decide if what you have is “good enough”.

My name...

Is on a fair number of recordings as Engineer ..

What's your experience cupcake ??

Look up Absolute Sound studio Ocean Way Studio@ Belmont U... For starters

4 minutes ago, the real Duke Spinner said:

My name...

Is on a fair number of recordings as Engineer ..

What's your experience cupcake ??

Let's not conflate sound production with sound reproduction. A common mistake.

If you are trying to impress me, muffin, duly noted.....

• Like 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, the real Duke Spinner said:

I worked at Ocean Way in Los Angeles, back when it was Western and United, but the large control room monitors were all Allen Sides’ horn based speakers. 

What did/does Ocean Way in Nashville have for main and near field monitors?

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Shakeydeal said:

As I said, apples to oranges. You may be good at what you do, but that doesn't carry over into a private listening room. Mastering audio and listening for pleasure are two different things requiring different tools.

That’s what I initially thought, but when it comes to the mixing engineer, and to a lesser extent the mastering engineer, there is a debate going on right now as to what if any impact the acoustics of the rooms where this is done (control room of studio, or smaller dedicated mixing room, or even a home studio) and the monitors used result in better/worse overall recordings. 

Floyd Toole discusses this as part of his Circle of Confusion, in his book and his presentations, and he has been advocating for standards for both room acoustics and studio monitors. However, he says that more research needs to be done. Sean Olive has also written about this, and the topic pops up at AES from time to time as to whether standards would improve the overall quality of recordings. 

As I say, it’s a matter of debate at AES, the Academy of Recording Sciences and elsewhere as to what, if any impact standards would have. 

• Like 4

On 9/12/2023 at 12:32 AM, parlophone1 said:

Yep. I agree with your take. I see threads like this often on hifi forums. And you get a variety of responses based on opinions. Mine is that the order of important is to think of it in terms of synergy. Match the speakers to the room size. Match the amp to the speakers. If you get both of these things right, you are going to get good sound. Just add neutral sources and you are good to go. It's about synergy not order of importance. But if forced to answer I put speakers at the top. Including matching them to the room. 

On 9/13/2023 at 3:52 PM, Travis In Austin said:

I worked at Ocean Way in Los Angeles, back when it was Western and United, but the large control room monitors were all Allen Sides’ horn based speakers. 

What did/does Ocean Way in Nashville have for main and near field monitors?

Yamaha NS-10, and ATC Monitors

Last I was there 8 years ago

• Thanks 1