Hi all! I inherited a pair of vintage klipschorn corner horns but don’t know a lot about them. While there do seem to be many resources out there, I’m not finding many for this particular model? I’ve noticed in my short research time that the font used in the stickers looks older than most. Looking for any and all technical info regarding these beauties. **EDIT** Also, if you have any input as to the potential value, it would be appreciated ** Thanks in advance!! 🙃

IMG_2326.jpeg

IMG_2327.jpeg

IMG_2320.jpeg

Edited by AA7

5 hours ago, AA7 said:

Hi all! I inherited a pair of vintage klipschorn corner horns but don’t know a lot about them.  

these speakers are signed by Portus Gilley (6th PWK Employee )  , and Lloyd S, McClellan ( PWK's 1st Employee )  ,..1963 or 1964  Klipschorn - Model Type C, no "collar" , Finish is W-R , which I am guessing is Walnut Raw veneer ( no lacquer or oil  )

Nota... the speakers should be preserved . 

• Moderators
4 hours ago, grasshopper said:

Welcome!

you are not entertaining thoughts of parting with them !

English translation.

You have some of the greatest loudspeakers ever made, still capable of producing excellent sound exactly the same as they did starting back in '63 or '64. If at all possible, you should let us assist you with restoring the Crossover networks and then you should set them up in some corners and play them. If you haven't heard them, you deserve a listen. Room permitting, you won't find a better-sounding system and they will give you years of enjoyment. 

Whoever ordered these originally was an audio aficionado and wanted the best money could buy in audio. 

Too often people are turned off by the shear size and weight (they go in corners so they actually take up unused, wasted space frequently), or think they are complicated to set up and play. They are not. They don't require expensive equipment to use. You probably already have all you need to start playing them to see what all the fuss in about. 

The speaker is still in production today, 78 years later, longer than any other speaker ever made. 

If you have children who enjoy music they will thank you for it. Or, if you have neighbors you don't particularly like, these are for you. 

As least give them a try, and if not possible, we will help you look as other options with good solid data. 

I think that is what grasshopper was trying to say. 

Travis

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Moderators
6 hours ago, AA7 said:

Also, if you have any input as to the potential value, it would be appreciated ** Thanks in advance!! 

We can help with that, your general locations, and photos of both speakers, including warts, dings, water damage, etc. would help. 

Location plays a factor, as well as condition. Overall, they have been going up in value. 

Travis

• Like 3

LOL!  My first exposure to Klipschorns like yours was in Nashville in the later 70's.  While looking at stuff I might one day afford, I heard a thunderstorm (Alan Parsons Project).  It was a blue sky, severe clear day.  Sneaking into the high end room, the next record up was Santa Esmerelda (disco).  I noticed my bell bottoms were tickling my ankles.  They were visibly moving to the bass drum!!!  and yet, it was not so loud you couldn't talk.  I was bit that day. 

In my whole house I have 2 proper corners for K-horns, ... in different rooms.  😐 

You have a wonderful gift. 

• Like 5

Hi AA7,

Welcome to the forum.

Klipschorns are exceptional and revealing speakers. They will let you hear greater realism in recorded sound than is possible with ordinary speakers. This is because each Klipschorn consists of three horns of different sizes enclosed in a corner cabinet, to cover the entire range of musical sound. Another way of describing a horn is to call it a "lens"--it literally magnifies the sound so you will hear more detail and more dynamic range in reproduced sound than you have heard before. Because these horns are very efficient at turning power into music, the Klipschorn can produce very realistic concert sound levels with only a few watts of power from your amplifier.

They will also let you hear--in great detail--any shortcomings in your amplifier and your source material. This means you might hear mistakes in recordings you never knew existed, like items rattling in the studio, microphones being overloaded when a vocalist gets too close, smeared instrument sounds when a recording is poorly mixed, and much more. But when things are right you will have the opportunity to hear music like you are at the recording session and the musicians are playing in your room. Sound like fun? That's why I've been here for over 20 years.

Every Klipschorn was a very expensive speaker at the time yours were purchased, and since 1963 was in the early days of 2-channel (stereo) high-fidelity, not many matched pairs of Klipschorns were purchased right away. I would check the serial numbers on the sticker of the lower bass bins on both cabinets and see how close the serial numbers are. Often a customer had a single Klipschorn in the late 1950's or early 1960's for listening to music in 1-channel (mono), and later when stereo became more popular, they ordered a second Klipschorn from the factory to match the cosmetics of the existing one. The serial numbers will tell the story.

Have a great time here and enjoy the music!

triceratops

• Like 3

This particular set came from my grandfather, so I have been fortunate enough to hear them. And though I don’t want to part ways, it must be done. I have noted the serial numbers are consecutive 😁 I do appreciate everyone’s input so far! 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Travis In Austin said:

We can help with that, your general locations, and photos of both speakers, including warts, dings, water damage, etc. would help. 

Location plays a factor, as well as condition. Overall, they have been going up in value. 

Travis

I thought they were consecutive but just realized they’re 1 number off. I’m currently located in South Georgia (US) on the coast. They mostly have water marks on the top from drinks and rubs on the corners. Also the speaker fabric looks like it should be replaced 😬

IMG_2407.jpeg

IMG_2408.jpeg

IMG_2411.jpeg

IMG_2409.jpeg

IMG_2410.jpeg

IMG_2404.jpeg

IMG_2405.jpeg

IMG_2406.jpeg

• Like 4

On 8/21/2023 at 2:52 PM, grasshopper said:

Welcome!

you are not entertaining thoughts of parting with them !

Unfortunately, I am thinking of parting ways as much as I don’t want to. I realize what I’m giving up but current circumstances have brought me to the point of giving them up. 

• Sad 1

Just now, AA7 said:

Unfortunately, I am thinking of parting ways as much as I don’t want to. I realize what I’m giving up but current circumstances have brought me to the point of giving them up. 

Has the forum helped you with an asking price yet?

Thanks!

1 hour ago, hanksjim1 said:

$2,500. to $3,000. for the pair.

Best guess; I have a '54 and a '56.

Advertise here in the garage sale section.

Yes unless you are in a hurry, go high, that way you can test the market and can easily come down. Would wait till tomorrow after you decide and get more advice on price or...go with the above. Questions @AA7...?

• Like 1