Woofer fuse for Klipschorn

RickD

Last night I had a power surge that was too much for my APC uninterruptable power supply/ surge protector. As a result my 1.25  amp 1.25" glass fuse was blown on both woofers. Since Radio Shack no longer exists does anyone know where I can buy these fuses? Also I'll be looking for better protection for my system and am open for suggestions. 

Thank-you all.

• Like 1

Since you did not say what kind of speakers you have I am going to assume Klipsch. On my LaScala's I use a 1 amp quick blow which is readily available on Amazon among other sources. A 1.25 amp fuse is a specialty fuse that can be hard to find and over priced. I believe you are correct that Klipsch did recommend a 1.25amp fuse in their instructions when I bought my speakers but I have never had a problem blowing a 1 amp fast blow myself. Works fine. I would not operate my speakers without having them fused. Fuses are much cheaper than drivers or bass speakers. 

Auto Parts didn't have them. And foil, that would probably go up in smoke.

I got them on Amazon. Next day delivery. Unfortunately the fuse replacement didn't work. Woofers are still not barking. I think I have a cross over malfunction.

I've got ALK's Extreme Slope cross-over networks and in his documentation he mentioned a socket mounted fuse rated at 1.5 amps. I don't see a fuse on any of the three boards. The only fuse is the 1.25 amp fuse on the back of the cabinet.

I sent Al Klappenberger an email, hope he replies, because I don't know how to troubleshoot his cross-overs. My amp and dac work.

On 8/29/2023 at 4:02 PM, Khornukopia said:

Auto parts store should have suitable fuses. They don't need to be exact, considering that most loudspeakers don't even have fuses. 

Found them on Amazon, auto parts store didn't have 1.25 amp fuses. New fuses didn't get the woofers working. I'll need to fix the cross-overs. They are Al Ks Extreme Slope cross overs.

On 8/31/2023 at 8:05 PM, Peter P. said:

So do pennies!

Al K. sent my an email today and said to swap  out the 1.25 amp fuses on the back of the Khorns for 5 amps. Foil won't work, guess I'll have to use pennies. Old ones made of copper.

Al said he quit using fuses on the woofer board, which is why I couldn't find it. I tested the woofers for continuity (good), but not for shorts. All the point to point wiring tests good, so the coils are ok.

On 8/31/2023 at 7:02 PM, babadono said:

If it's not there somebody took it out. Mine definitely has one.