buying ki-396

Heritage_Head

When I had the 904s it was in a different room than I’m in now, but in that same room I had a ton of different speakers that i messed with..like Cornwalls, RF7ii, and a bunch of lesser models in the reference line and even the extended heritage line. There were a lot of differences, but the main difference was the voice (size and sound)…. as much as I enjoyed the other speakers (all of them really) in terms of the voice they were all toys…… The room itself is such a big part of the sound. So I hesitate to compare anything I heard from another room, but that giant voice is definitely back with the 396s. 

5 minutes ago, 82 Cornwalls said:

Must not be a tube guy. lol

Yes I do like tubes. It just seems speakers are a bigger move, we usually move up the scale with speakers, where electronics are changed more often. Just moving a speaker an inch can change the sound. Speakers seem more personal to me. People will loan you an amp to try out. 

I built stands for my three nine sixes from 4x4 lumber. I located the 510 same height as the center point of the 402 atop the Jube bass bin(s). Cut the lumber at same angle that match the trapezoidal shape the 396 cabinet, 11 or 13 degrees, I can’t remember which at this time. Painted flat black and sturdy as helll.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve got 3 across the front and zero regrets on movies. It sounds huge with the same sonic signature as one of our premium art house cinemas with Klipsch sound in Indianapolis. I can’t recommend them enough. Once I buy a house I’ll mount them in a baffle wall behind a perf screen.

IMG_7870.jpeg

Edited by IndyHT80
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/31/2023 at 7:19 AM, Heritage_Head said:

I haven’t done anything yet. Been super busy. I have had them on for watching normal tv, but other than the day they came last week I haven’t done much with them. 

Any updates? I just got a crazy good deal on some 362-II's and they aren't too shabby. I was curious I removed the grill cover on one of the 362's and noticed a fairly thick maybe 3/8's? foam glued to the inside of the grill cover does the 396 grill cover have the same foam? Thanks!

Hi @jjptkd, yes the 396s use the same foam, and probably the same spacers on each screw holding on the grille. Hope you had your speakers laying down when you pulled the grille off, lol. 

Just this week I finally got around to cobbling a make-shift pair of stands.

I think I paid about $50 CDN for the hardware at Home Depot, what a time to be alive, lol.

CAVEAT ! They are little front heavy, if bumped from behind or pulled from the front past about 10 degrees they are going to tip forward.

I just wanted something to get the bottoms off the floor to keep them from getting scratched and at the same time raise the horns to ear level, I’m 6’5” and the 6” of lift on these speakers is perfect.

IMG_2780.thumb.jpeg.cd02faec470fbeef24c9506e30a822f9.jpeg

IMG_2783.jpeg

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, jjptkd said:

Any updates? I just got a crazy good deal on some 362-II's and they aren't too shabby. I was curious I removed the grill cover on one of the 362's and noticed a fairly thick maybe 3/8's? foam glued to the inside of the grill cover does the 396 grill cover have the same foam? Thanks!

I like the 362. I had a pair of them years ago, sold them, and had seller's remorse. I bought another pair of them and installed a pair of Dave's LMAHL and am happy again.

None of mine had any foam inside of the grill. Have a picture of what you're talking about? Is it for sound absorption due to the grill being metal?  

On 12/30/2023 at 8:28 AM, jjptkd said:

No stands yet. The grills have that foam. I wonder what it’s there for? they’re not normally behind a screen so I don’t get it…. has anyone gotten any technical data on the purpose?

On 1/2/2024 at 3:50 PM, Heritage_Head said:

No stands yet. The grills have that foam. I wonder what it’s there for? they’re not normally behind a screen so I don’t get it…. has anyone gotten any technical data on the purpose?

can you show  pictures ,  

On 12/30/2023 at 11:58 AM, Woofers and Tweeters said:

I like the 362. I had a pair of them years ago, sold them, and had seller's remorse. I bought another pair and am happy again. None of mine had any foam inside of the grill. Have a picture of what you're talking about? Is it for sound absorption due to the grill being metal?  

Sorry I've been on vacation here at my MT home won't return to WA until Monday night and I didn't take any pictures of the grill foam (actually thought about it) while I had the speaker apart. I have a pair of kp-301-ii's here and they do not have any foam behind the metal grill either.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

Sorry I've been on vacation here at my MT home won't return to WA until Monday night and I didn't take any pictures of the grill foam (actually thought about it) while I had the speaker apart. I have a pair of kp-301-ii's here and they do not have any foam behind the metal grill either.

I have three 301s. One has the metal grill and no foam and the remaining pair are cloth grills. 

Hope you're having a great vacation.