Subwoofer matching with Heritage speakers

Bananas and Blow

Hello all. Great forum. Huge fan of the two pairs of Klipsch I've owned, the Heresy IV(sold) and the Forte IV (will never sell). I'm going to be in Phoenix for the winter for 5 months and I'm taking a system with me. Leaving my Fortes behind as I don't want to move them without boxes only to move them back in 5 months. System I'm taking:

Yamaha A-s1200 integrated amp.

Marantz SACD 30N fed by Wiim mini for streaming

Dynaudio Special Forty speakers.

I can tell already I'm going to miss the Klipsch sound. I'm already thinking sell the Dynaudios and pick up a pair of Heresy and add a sub. I have a REL T5i sub currently and when I tried integrate the sub previously it did not have enough gain, even with the sub turned all the way up. Sub worked fine with less efficient speakers so I think the signal was so low being sent to the subwoofer because the Heresy is so efficient that I need a sub with more gain.

Any success stories pairing Heresy with a sub? What sub do you recommend?

Yes I know some are satisfied with the bass of the Heresy, but I wasn't. The bass of the Heresy IV was excellent actually. Fast and punchy. But in the same room side by side with the Fortes you could really hear what was missing on the Heresy. Not a bass-head, but I need bass down to 35-40hz. Medium sized living room 14x20.

Until the Heritage subwoofers are ready, you'll want to look for a large, high output subwoofer to keep cone travel to a minimum.  That ought to keep distortion down to tolerable levels.  Check Klipsch.com, amazon for sales and contact Paducah Home Theater to see if Cory can help you out (I'll bet yes). 

20 hours ago, Bananas and Blow said:

Hello all. Great forum. Huge fan of the two pairs of Klipsch I've owned, the Heresy IV(sold) and the Forte IV (will never sell). I'm going to be in Phoenix for the winter for 5 months and I'm taking a system with me. Leaving my Fortes behind as I don't want to move them without boxes only to move them back in 5 months. System I'm taking:

Yamaha A-s1200 integrated amp.

Marantz SACD 30N fed by Wiim mini for streaming

Dynaudio Special Forty speakers.

I can tell already I'm going to miss the Klipsch sound. I'm already thinking sell the Dynaudios and pick up a pair of Heresy and add a sub. I have a REL T5i sub currently and when I tried integrate the sub previously it did not have enough gain, even with the sub turned all the way up. Sub worked fine with less efficient speakers so I think the signal was so low being sent to the subwoofer because the Heresy is so efficient that I need a sub with more gain.

Any success stories pairing Heresy with a sub? What sub do you recommend?

Yes I know some are satisfied with the bass of the Heresy, but I wasn't. The bass of the Heresy IV was excellent actually. Fast and punchy. But in the same room side by side with the Fortes you could really hear what was missing on the Heresy. Not a bass-head, but I need bass down to 35-40hz. Medium sized living room 14x20.

My Forte 2 we're spectacular Never had better yet including KH

Yeah I think the key is that it's a high output sub because it has to take a very low signal from the preamp and make it match the efficiency of the Heritage speaker. I live in a 1000 sq foot apartment that is full. i doubt I will be able to fit one of these new Klipsch subs in my room. Maybe if I get a bigger room one day.

My REL T5i was not able to amplify the signal enough. Maybe an SVS SB-3000.

Edited by Bananas and Blow

I would love a Heritage sub to go with my Forte IV.   I had a small REL, it sounded good but it just could not keep up with the Klipsch.   I ended up putting it in my bedroom and it is a much better fit 

I needed a sub that wouldn’t break the bank but keep up with the Forte. For $675 to my door that sub was an Earthquake MiniMe DSP P12.   It is a 15” cube with an active 12” driver on one side and a 12” passive on the opposing side.  

It completely rocks and keeps up with the Forte no problem.  It has DSP room correction that you can invoke automatically or manually.  You can have presets for different X-Over slopes and frequency cut offs 

I rolled the dice on this one and it completely surprised me how good it sounds.   Definitely a good sub for price paid.   

If you're only going to be in location for five months, you don't want to be schlepping big speakers

and a big subwoofer around.

I'd suggest an SVS SB-1000 which is practically a 12" cube. I have one and it keeps up with my

Heresy IIs.

Your Dynaudios aren't that efficient so I expect most subwoofers should be able to pair well with them.

As an alternative, buy the subwoofer on craigslist locally in Phoenix, and maybe the speakers as well.

My casual look at Phoenix craigslist shows a lot of subs for sale, including some Klipsch models.

• 4 months later...

I have both a new pair of heresy iv but it seems it lacks the low frequency response. I wanted to replace the woofers to a forte ii woofers to achieve the low frequency. I don’t want to add a sub woofer just to minimize electricity bills.

Edited by Babet

On 4/17/2024 at 1:26 PM, Babet said:

I have both a new pair of heresy iv but it seems it lacks the low frequency response. I wanted to replace the woofers to a forte ii woofers to achieve the low frequency. I don’t want to add a sub woofer just to minimize electricity bills.

Ain't gonna happen. Changing the woofer won't do squat for increasing the low end. You need a bigger cabinet, period. Or a subwoofer.