Tube Integrated Amp

JohnA

Do you have a recommendation for a cheap tube integrated to replace my '70s receiver to drive my Heresy IVs?  Let's say 10 to 25 watts, 2 inputs and tone controls, price in the few hundred $$.  I can pick one at random on Amazon, but I'd rather have a recommendation from someone with experience.  My only experience with tubes was a pair of Wave-8s. 

1 hour ago, JohnA said:

Do you have a recommendation for a cheap tube integrated to replace my '70s receiver to drive my Heresy IVs?  Let's say 10 to 25 watts, 2 inputs and tone controls, price in the few hundred $$. 

I would recommend staying with solid state (even though it pains me being a tube guy) because you will not find any tube amplifier worth buying for a few hundred.

• Like 3

On a tight budget give these some consideration. Positive reviews and on youtube. Do not expect decades of use or $5K sound though. No personal experience. 

https://www.parts-express.com/Dayton-Audio-HTA100-100-Watt-Stereo-Hybrid-Tube-Amplifier-with-Bluetooth-300-3848?quantity=1

https://www.parts-express.com/Dayton-Audio-HTA200-200-Watt-Stereo-Hybrid-Tube-Amplifier-with-Bluetooth-300-3850?quantity=1

• Like 1

This is a play around sysyem and I think tubes would be more fun.  I looked at the Dayton hybrids.  They're interesting.  The sound source will be a laptop, so there's no justification for $5000, and no desire in that system. 

I've been using the Dayton HTA100 for about 2 years now, with a pair of Heresy 1's.  I feed it through the BT on my laptop.  There can't be a single complaint at this price.  Heresys sound great!  I did hook them up to a better amp (SS) and heard the difference, but...come on...it's usually $160 on Black Friday.  For that, decent amp with phono input, sub out and bluetooth.  Wow!  

The fit, finish and feel are better than expected too.

I want to try the HTA200...that adds a few things, including twice the power and a remote.  BTW, no remote has been a non-issue, as the laptop does it.

I believe you'd have to spend 10 times the money to appreciate it.

dayton amp.jpg

• Like 3

If you truly want tube sound, a hybrid amp won’t get you there. It may sound good and even slightly (albeit, very slightly) different than a SS offering, it only hints at what a tube amp will bring. I think you will need to spend at least 800.00 (I’ve seen a couple of used Willsenton amps at this price) to get something that sounds decent and is reliable.

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/15/2023 at 3:28 PM, 83 LSIs said:

I would recommend staying with solid state (even though it pains me being a tube guy) because you will not find any tube amplifier worth buying for a few hundred.

I'd agree with the above. I used a few different vintage Kenwood/Trio like in the links I provided in the Livingroom and my Study when I ended up with 4 grandchildren running around here. All but one room is back to tubes now. But anything tubed in the couple hundred is going to either be a headache or sound like dung. These Kenwood/Trio sound pretty darn good and if you're into vinyl have a decent phono section. I was lucky though I found 2 decent examples at an estate sale for $40 each. DO make sure whomever you buy one from warranties it works in all respects as it should. I am not at all affiliated or know the people selling them in the links just showing you examples.

1)  https://www.ebay.com/itm/196138553770?hash=item2daac4d1aa:g:Z6EAAOSwkn1lf2G-&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAABAPnjAiYzerT0b5mtVGdimT%2B7HgxtZb4qyFhVSA16n%2FSDzVfqZDnYl9Sf7qRjljxnXIoa61oPheP%2BypHXxHNWoxCfjMbmQlZPCUEJ9EEqrNGMCC5W9bcq5e3x%2BNew6S4vF6fq1NTQWjbeBr0JllTxvteE0K4pAWBLanUgcA0WyY2mECr9ohVM4ipYxY2wlSPygvTqt6HujS5Zxs0Cua2zibmq%2Bsuk2vVA3kSTIGMY9TYWAomgMWwCTNF%2F7VGe443zlg9db1cjhldeskZy1fUjXSipQ0q1FL02BGpHUiQtNwrjdOl1yg3sRvGS4SGqNb3Lrb2xikp940P%2Fq9iEjo4Tr94%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR76nhfWPYw

2)  https://www.ebay.com/itm/375125558953?hash=item575739c6a9:g:GA0AAOSwBtBlfmxi&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAABAEkQwDfKfOKHar%2B%2Bx1is5AN8gTkhvfleXY3pjvaL%2BIays71HuLD%2BV9OYc8wziqiLYeZHuxatE1jyy0r7XKHhdJ4uh5afYLrOtdP0sjYWbaBlQrIjd9Suw%2FHGQ5PXenJbej1WHFDRPeg6Cc5ToEj4nWZoCNaguDSN2Of%2FPv4q5C1%2FU%2F3zykB8OlCKCyt7R10KgzuX%2FRNZg%2FFVjD4avLe1tjN1WavsYKZw%2BxN%2FkW1QZYTsRw%2FFnfsrfXfVCZg%2FRf0brArf3XvXCKM%2BMFzaykU%2BtPXLtST0l%2Fw%2F5zUm0afKBBiekoVCLXBsEYOXDz6T6VxhZwH0xXzK1GFBLPZoV9vxXjQ%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR76nhfWPYw

3) https://www.ebay.com/itm/155679870776?hash=item243f3e4f38:g:PT0AAOSwlsZkuxUv&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA4Lml0HuuMIz63x98dboj68DGYaIIUDv4VxHQ0Vev%2FcU0mEwIp52zUAu6RfG6OvKJj1tY2T%2BXyM2UgK0xxZ1ViNQIrSyZiMN5C%2FkeecOe%2FqQcrV37bJaVSCLujV4khRHS%2BJDVVfiGPNLNp9cZcPCVfTqrJEQXDgB1jw8PSE2QavSh%2B6aGaGdfyaX4Z4FB2a%2F2nrd%2F%2FOJpCedbhwKhCapYNZQ8XQD5vTrW72diC1UzxP4oq%2By2nJMNyVyIq3IhJ0sdx%2BzWkPKyob5sx7F7e7IYu0HG%2BHiQihWgRe3JQM4aJ1KL|tkp%3ABk9SR8CnhfWPYw

21 hours ago, Dr Morbius said:

Now I wonder I don’t have any history with these amps but to me Kenwood amps vs. Harmon/Kardon amps - I always wondered similar ratings and such, which has the better build, reliability and such?

I hate to say it because it will rattle a few feathers but to me with my experience Kenwood is hands down the better in every respect of the two. IMHO not even close. HK around here has a big following because of one very vocal Klipsch I believe ex-employee and forum member. 

PS: IMHO Marantz is/was way better too!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Dr Morbius said:

I suppose then that Kenwood and Marantz are similar in nature of reliability and build quality?

Steve

👍  Yes sir in my opinion. Marantz has always been a favorite of mine in the tube and 70's SS era. The problem is it commands extreme prices, Kenwood not so bad,,

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm have sympathy for price restraint..... however...I have crawled up product lines buying the next upgrade in my components until it dawned on me that if I added up the cost of replacing this or that multiple times was adding up to an amount I thought I couldn't "justify".  The Klipsch speaker line is an example. I've owned almost everything but the Khorn and Jubilee. If I had just bought my Lascalas immediately I would have saved a considerable sum. (Although all my friends and family now own some great speakers! lol My son enjoys his RF7's!)) After buying SS amps/receivers I decided to stop this tactic. After MUCH consideration I bought the Raven Audio Nighthawk tube integrated. Lascala and Raven is a match that will blow your mind. BUT at $2999 it far exceeds your dollar limit by a wild margin. However....you don't know what will finally scratch that itch. (One hopes that Maybe the cheaper step will be ok until the lower performance drives you crazy)

• Like 1