Troubles with the sound of my new La Scalas

Bhai

26 minutes ago, the real Duke Spinner said:

Use the Forum Search function Nitwit

1963 for Rockefellers campaign

And there it is. Your class is oozing out of you.

I’m well aware of the history of the LaScala. But leave it to a knucklehead like you to point it out in a negative light. Some would say that all horns are good for nothing but public address systems.  Too bad you couldn’t rise above.

• Like 4

On 11/27/2023 at 12:29 PM, Bhai said:

But it's not just me, my wife also feels that the Cornwalls were better! Which is crazy so I'm trying to figure what happened.

the AL-5 need a sub and SS power ,   it's not a coincidence if klipsch are coming out with new subs by summer 2024 ,  hang tight ,  buy a new sub   and you'll be very happy . in the meantime , try a Yamaha A-S1200 or 2200 or a Rotel Michi X3  , and you may find  a bit more clean-tight punchy bass with the AL-5  

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, OO1 said:

the AL-5 need a sub and SS power ,   it's not a coincidence if klipsch are coming out with new subs by summer 2024 ,  hang tight ,  buy a new sub   and you'll be very happy . in the meantime , try a Yamaha A-S1200 or 2200 or a Rotel Michi X3  , and you may find  a bit more clean-tight punchy bass with the AL-5  

They benefit from a well implemented sub just as a Klipschorn would but “need” is more a situation and taste dependent factor IMHO.

Dang and here I’ve been enjoying my Cary CAD2a3 SE mono-blocs on my La Scala AL5…. 🙂

miketn

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Klipsch Employees
4 hours ago, the real Duke Spinner said:

LS were intended to be a Stadium speaker, not a HiFi utilization

Big breath….again….Mr K never understood the difference between home speakers and commercial. He told me that it should not matter what you have hooked up to the speaker….a turntable or a band….the speaker should faithfully reproduce the input signal. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

My Question is what is your room size? The CW's may be a better fit for your room. I have CW2's and replaced them with AL5's. My room is 25 by 30' with high ceilings and room treatments. I use the Aric Audio 300B and two Rel 1510. Even without the Rel's 95% of the jazz I like sounded great. Subs will not fix every problem. The room is my guess in what needs to be looked at.

Edited by doodlebum
  • Like 1

"Need" sounds as if it wouldn't be complete without a subwoofer, as if a sub would have to be added after two days at the latest. In my experience, this is not the case. Unless it's lowest pipes organ music or earthquakes in movies, I personally don't see a compelling need for a sub. You can certainly add a sub, sooner or later. But when I listen to jazz, rock, classical or pop music, I don't miss anything, at least in the rarest of cases. Buying a La Scala is a complete and well-rounded choice in itself. Familiarisation and musical preferences play a role. By the way, apart from the lowest organ pipe registers, organ music sounds absolutely goosebump-inducing on the La Scala.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/27/2023 at 9:29 AM, Bhai said:

Hey guys!

So I bought the La Scalas, but there's something not so great about the sound and I'm trying to figure out whats happening. I'm using the PrimaLuna Prologue Premium as my integrated amp.

I've had a Cornwall that I've enjoyed for almost 4 years now. But when I compare the sound of the La Scalas the magic just seems to be missing. The vocals are not forward and magical as they used to be. The sound stage is great. But it almost feels a bit too clinical and lacks some warmth. And yes the low end of the bass also is bothering me I guess, but that was expected given the La Scalas don't go below 50Hz whereas the Cornwall goes down to 34Hz. I am struggling so badly for words when it comes to what I'm experiencing! But it's not just me, my wife also feels that the Cornwalls were better! Which is crazy so I'm trying to figure what happened.

Here's a couple of theories I have:

Amp pairing: Could it be that I just need a much better amp? That maybe the one I have is not doing the speakers justice?

Low end: Or maybe I'm just reacting very badly to the low end being capped at 50Hz instead of 34Hz? Many of the people who recommended the La Scalas also recommended getting a sub. But looks like getting a tube amp which has a separate out for the subs is going to be quite an investment.

Also it could just be my mind playing tricks on me. I've moved the Cornwalls to another room so will be a real pain to try and do an A/B test just to see if I'm tripping or what. Maybe my expectations were too high.. Or more likely maybe I'm just going through a rough patch in my relationship to music and sound.

Please do share your wisdom, it always helps! :)

In my opinion, that amp is a bad pairing. 

15 minutes ago, Chief bonehead said:

Big breath….again….Mr K never understood the difference between home speakers and commercial. He told me that it should not matter what you have hooked up to the speaker….a turntable or a band….the speaker should faithfully reproduce the input signal. 

That sounds very logical and understandable. It proves what philosophy PWK had in terms of loudspeakers. They were certainly not mini monitors that you put on the mixing desk. Ok, they also have their justification, but it was not PWK's intention. PWK wanted to reproduce the authentic sound of an acoustic event in your own home with as little loss as possible. The same loudspeaker could also be used outside the home. Of course, you have to adapt the sources, you have to use compressors at a live event, just as you have to do with a vinyl record or CD. So this is also the same in both cases. There's no difference between home recording and public address in terms of not using the same best speaker.

• Like 3

On 11/27/2023 at 12:29 PM, Bhai said:

So I bought the La Scalas, but there's something not so great about the sound and I'm trying to figure out whats happening. I'm using the PrimaLuna Prologue Premium as my integrated amp.

I've had a Cornwall that I've enjoyed for almost 4 years now. But when I compare the sound of the La Scalas the magic just seems to be missing. The vocals are not forward and magical as they used to be. The sound stage is great. But it almost feels a bit too clinical and lacks some warmth. And yes the low end of the bass also is bothering me I guess, but that was expected given the La Scalas don't go below 50Hz whereas the Cornwall goes down to 34Hz. I am struggling so badly for words when it comes to what I'm experiencing! But it's not just me, my wife also feels that the Cornwalls were better! Which is crazy so I'm trying to figure what happened.

Have you tried both the 4ohm and 8ohm taps of your amplifier to see which sounds best in your situation…?

Never underestimate the importance of moving the speaker positions even a few inches can make significant differences and it’s free.

Pictures of your room/system setup would help us understand your situation better if you care to post them.

I do agree with some break in time for new loudspeakers especially for the bass.

miketn🙂

• Like 2

Your speakers need 100 hours minimum to break in. That midrange will open up like you won't believe. At about 80 hours the midrange really opened up on Forte IV's and Heresy IV's that I purchased new. The change was dramatic. Give it time. i didn't notice much change after 100 hours, but the sound was not very good before they reached their final stage.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, mikebse2a3 said:

The magic of the La Scala AL5 and Tubes sometimes things just come together if your open minded.

They appear about 1:45 in the video and you can tell they are still like little kids having fun with this audio stuff after decades in this hobby.

miketn

Very funny that it's only been online for a few hours, as if it was made for this thread here... You can't describe what a LaScala is about more credibly than in this scene at 1:45. PWK and Miles Davis. BTW Herb and Steve have such a good connection with each other...one thought leads to the next and the story is in the air.  They actually review their lives when they meet up again, but then there's also an interest in the new, in innovation, in the here and now. So the headline of the video meets exactly this. Two blokes you'd love to have in your home for an evening of listening.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bananas and Blow said:

Also have you tried rolling the small signal tubes in your Primaluna? If you are using the stock JJ preamp tubes you are short changing your wonderful speakers.

No thread drift please but I'm not sure if I agree with you on this point. 

The way you talk about the JJ preamp tubes is a little too harsh for me. I like them and they need some break-in time themselves. They are not "cheap" but the only 12A/ECC tubes that are still made on original Telefunken machines from 1972.  Of course I respect if your taste is different. But, and now I come back to the thread...Klipsch La Scalas core properties do not depend on certain tube brands.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I make an observation, perhaps a little off the wall.

LS are very efficient, with very low distortion. I found it too easy to listen too loudly with the LS I owned. Even more so with the extremely clean bass from the MWMs I had for a time.

Too easy to turn it up. It sounded great, BUT, I started having ear fatigue, things sounded off. As PWK said once, is was TDL.

Sorry for the ramble. Seriously, how loud are you listening?

Gotta go to work, have a great day!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Chief bonehead said:

Just to add, LaScala's have been marketed for home use for around 4 or 5 decades. One would think good engineers would know what is expected for home use after decades being sold for that purpose. The Jubilee speakers have roots in pro use as well.  

• Like 3

I get the impression that we are overwhelming the OP with all our well-intentioned tips, providing information that doesn't quite align with what he states in his opening post. 

"The vocals are not forward and magical as they used to be. The sound stage is great. But it almost feels a bit too clinical and lacks some warmth. And yes the low end of the bass also is bothering me" 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Flevoman said:

I get the impression that we are overwhelming the OP with all our well-intentioned tips, providing information that doesn't quite align with what he states in his opening post. 

"The vocals are not forward and magical as they used to be. The sound stage is great. But it almost feels a bit too clinical and lacks some warmth. And yes the low end of the bass also is bothering me" 

I never did get the confirmation that these are AL5s. In his OP, he says "new lascalas". Well that could be "new to him".

So if indeed they are brand spanking, out of the box new, then more break in time will most likely cure his issues.