Cornwall iii or Heresy iv for my room?

Iowa

Hi all, new guy here.

A little background- some years back I had a pair of modified Heresy I speakers and have missed that sound since I sold them to try something different. 
I have about $2k US to spend on a new set of speakers and have found a pair of Cornwall III and a pair of Heresy IV in my price range. Neither are local so I won’t be able to listen to them 1st.

My room is 11.5’ wide and 14.5’ long. It is a dual purpose office/listening room. The speakers will need to be on the short wall and my seating position is 8.5’ from the front wall. I will be driving the new speakers with a Lyngdorf TDAI 1120 (60 watts per channel at 8 ohm) mostly streaming Spotify and Tidal through the Lyngdorf, but I also have a Brennan B2 server with about 1TB of FLAC tracks saved. I have a pair of Rel T-Zero subs that I would use with the Heresy’s.

I primarily listen at low to moderate volumes (50-75db) since I am in a condo with neighbors to the sides, above and below me. I am looking for a full, rich sound at these volumes.

edit: I primarily listen to jazz, fusion, funk, blues and rock. No classical, opera or metal.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Edited by Iowa

Tricky question. I've owned both the CW3 and the Heresy 2 myself. Found both to be excellent speakers, but the CW3 could sound a bit boomy in my room at times. However, the soundstage was expansive and dynamic, offering a fuller sound. The CW3 was definitely the better choice between the two. Interestingly, it shares the same midhorn as the Heresy from that time.

Afterward, I had the CW4 and listened to the Forte 4. This new line of speakers sounded significantly better with more detail, openness, and balance. However, I haven't heard the Heresy 4.

Logically reasoning, I expect the CW3 to provide a fuller sound, more bass, and a grander experience. Assuming the sound signature of the Heresy 4 is similar to that of the CW4 and Forte 4, the Heresy is likely to sound a bit fresher with more detail, dynamism, and better balance.

• Like 1

Welcome Iowa. If you liked your earlier Heresy speakers so much, was it listened in the same room? I ask because if you once have found such a lucky marriage of speaker and room it would be my benchmark. As Flevoman says the Heresy 4 may sound much fresher. If I were you I would opt for the Heresy if you had experienced them in your office/listening room, plus, you have less issues with neighbors and less potential of a boomy sound. I would say that the Heresy also fits with your taste of music and they would not dominate the relative moderate room too much optically.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KT88 said:

Welcome Iowa. If you liked your earlier Heresy speakers so much, was it listened in the same room? I ask because if you once have found such a lucky marriage of speaker and room it would be my benchmark. As Flevoman says the Heresy 4 may sound much fresher. If I were you I would opt for the Heresy if you had experienced them in your office/listening room, plus, you have less issues with neighbors and less potential of a boomy sound. I would say that the Heresy also fits with your taste of music and they would not dominate the relative moderate room too much optically.

I have had a life change since I had the Heresy 1. They were in approximately a 15x25 room in a single family house.

On 12/6/2023 at 10:24 PM, OO1 said:

you're in a condo ..Heresy IV

Agreed. The Cornwalls will swallow up that short wall. You've already got subs if you want or need them

although I'm not sure where they'll fit along the short wall. Your proximity to neighbors also tells me you

won't be able to push the accelerator to the floor (unless ALL the neighbors aren't home!) so you don't

need the muscle of the Cornwalls. The Heresies will do just fine.

I live in a condo with a pair of Heresy IIs and I approve this message!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Iowa said:

I have had a life change since I had the Heresy 1. They were in approximately a 15x25 room in a single family house.

In my view, the new smaller room speaks even more in favour of the Heresy. It's a shame that you can't test both types. But you're on the safe side with the Heresy. You quickly get used to more or less full-bodied sound, but I suspect that the Heresy reveals more musical information and less overlay. At least my experience with large speakers in small to medium-sized rooms is not very good.

It is also possible that due to its size, the Cornwall transmits more structure-borne sound through the walls, which can cause the neighbours to hear it even if you are listening to soft music.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Shakeydeal said:

If you could sit further away, I would say cornwalls. At the current distance I’d say heresy. But the Goldilocks would be Forte IV in my opinion.

Ditto.  forte IV.  Do you think your living environment will change over the next few years?  The forte IV will grow with you.  Believe it or not actually a smaller footprint than the Heresy yet will compete with a Cornwall in just about any environment.  

1 minute ago, John Chi-town said:

Ditto.  forte IV.  Do you think your living environment will change over the next few years?  The forte IV will grow with you.  Believe it or not actually a smaller footprint than the Heresy yet will compete with a Cornwall in just about any environment.  

I would love to go with the Forte IV, but haven’t seen any that are near my budget.

36 minutes ago, Iowa said:

I would love to go with the Forte IV, but haven’t seen any that are near my budget.

Not sure what your budget is, but a pristine pair can be had on the used market for between $3,200-$3,500. Or consider a pair of forte or forte II pristine for about $1,500.00 a pair or less.  

17 hours ago, Iowa said:

something different. 
I have about $2k US to spend on a new set of speakers and have found a pair of Cornwall III and a pair of Heresy IV in my price range. Neither are local so I won’t be able to listen to them 1st.

My room is 11.5’ wide and 14.5’ long. It is a dual purpose office/listening room. The speakers will need to be on the short wall and my seating p

If you have the money then the Heresy 4s...or Fortes.