60th Anniversary Klipschorns - No corner needed

GlynnW

This is a gorgeous pair of Klipsch 60th Anniversary speakers.  There were only 200 pairs of this model made (this is pair #97) and looking at used sales it seems most went to Europe.  HiFi Shark shows the last used pair sold in the US was in 2018, although there were no doubt some private sales made.  The front of each is veneered in Lacewood and the black top is painted with shiny piano black.  The last pair of Klipschorns I owned had slightly torn up veneer at the bottom of the front.  These have a bar of black anodized metal across the front bottom to prevent this.  Attached to this bar is a silver Klipsch logo inset with a diamond (yes, a diamond).  There is a numbered plaque on each explaining the significance of the speakers.  The crossover is visible thru a window and made of premium parts featuring Van den Hul CS14 copper-silver multi-strand internal wiring and WBT binding posts.  These are not corner-horns.  The back is enclosed and the sound comes out the front sides, negating the need for corner placement.  They can be towed in.  They can be easily bi-wired if desired.  Weight of each is 225 lb - I paid a mover to get them to my house.  These were owned by an audio dealer here in Shreveport, now deceased, who sold Klipsch and put together a premium system for his home.  Look at the pictures - other than a few very small scratches they are very clean. No boxes.  These will have to be picked up at my home in Shreveport, Louisiana by a couple of very strong people. I am retired and can arrange to meet almost any pick-up time.   Price is firm at $7K.  Glynn Wilson  318-734-4655  glynnwilson@comcast.net

DSCN0706.JPG

DSCN0707.JPG

DSCN0699.JPG

DSCN0703.JPG

Edited by GlynnW
Add pictures
  • Like 1

The fully enclosed back does not mean that the Klipschorn is no longer a corner horn.  The enclosed back eliminates the need for the cabinet to be tightly against the corner, allowing changes in toe-in.  However, the speaker still needs to be close to a corner to achieve full bass response.

Here's the quote from the current AK6 product page (https://www.klipsch.com/products/klipschorn).
"The Klipschorn's low frequency horn has been redesigned and is now fully enclosed. This eliminates the need for the loudspeakers to be positioned snuggly in a corner."

From the current product manual:

"The Klipschorn (AK6) has a fully enclosed low frequency horn and no longer has to be flush to the corner in order to operate properly. The Klipschorn can now be toed in or out to obtain the best imaging. The corner still serves as an extension of the low frequency horn, improving low frequency performance. For best results, Klipsch highly recommends the Klipschorn be placed in the proximity of a corner."

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Schu said:

I am sure that i formation helps in some way... I am just not sure in what manner.

I wanted to correct the assertion made about Khorns supposedly no longer needing corners just in case any potential buyers thought that this was actually true and made a purchase based on that being the case.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Daveh said:

How close do they need to be? On one side, the speaker can side tight against the wall.  On the other side, the speaker will sit 3 - 5 inches away from the wall…is that too far?

If you can swing these, Dave, you won't regret the purchase. These newer Klipschorns sound FANTASTIC, IMO. If things get tight down the road, at this price, you'll likely never lose a dime. This is a smokin' deal.

Jeff

On 12/12/2023 at 9:40 AM, Daveh said:

How close do they need to be? On one side, the speaker can side tight against the wall.  On the other side, the speaker will sit 3 - 5 inches away from the wall…is that too far?

My speakers are pushed into the corners and then toed in and sit exactly 6 " off the side wall, I have enclosed backs also...

So I did indeed buy these Klipschorns.  The seller - Glynn - is a great guy.  Ever since I first heard a Klipschorn in college - around 1977 - I’ve always dreamed of someday getting them. We’ll…this last week finally arrived - 45+ years later.  Number one - they are absolutely beautiful speakers - I love the exterior of the 60th anniversary speaker. Second…the sound is wonderful. I can hear subtle sounds in the music I haven’t heard before.  The centering of the sound is incredible. When I first played some music, I had to check and confirm the music wasn’t coming out of my center channel. I find myself listening to the music at a lower volume vs my previous KG5.5 speakers - I think that is because of the clarity.  The sound from the speakers seems to be “effortless” - such a clean sound….vocals sound right there. Given the size of the speakers with so much centered on the bottom cabinet…I expected the bass to be a little stronger….but I have a small subwoofer that adds just enough. I’ve found the bass is so dependent on the recording - some songs have strong bass and some not….I need to get a subwoofer with a remote🤪. I kinda feel like I’ve reinvigorate my joy of listening to music.  

• Like 4